Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What do you expect from a $300 bike fit?
Quote | Reply
It'd had been several months since I was on my TT bike and after 12-week block of cycling-specific training, I'm headed into training for Boulder 70.3. I figured I'd get a bike fit before starting back into my season.

Went to a fantastic Triathlon shop in the area (great mechanics, latest technology, dedicated and sharp owner, cool design, retul fitter...). Long story short: lowered my saddle and gave me a tip on leg position during stroke. He mapped my bike for fit numbers so I can have that handy after travel or for another bike.

I'm not disappointed in the fitting as I assume I was in pretty good shape before the fit so it was only a small tweak. Again, I really like the shop, the owner and retailers in general.

I'm just curious: what y'all expect from a bike fitting?
Quote Reply
Re: What do you expect from a $300 bike fit? [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you post a video?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More aero, more comfortable, and more power, or some combination thereof. And hopefully to whisper sweet nothings into my ear while palpating my greater trochanter.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you expect from a $300 bike fit? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is the correct Slowtwitch answer ;)

jimatbeyond wrote:
Can you post a video?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deliverables from the retul fit include photograph and the your fit coordinates.

Although $300 is sort of what you would spend for basically a brand new fit and not an adjustment. I think refitting you on your bike to change the position is more of a $150-200 service normally. Of course, that also depends on how long the session went I'm guessing. Doing a fit at a velodrome over multiple hours costs like something I don't want to know.

But I always fall back to this: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...pectations_3595.html

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Apr 19, 19 8:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't. No video was taken of the fitting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you post a video of you on the bike now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For $300 I'd expect at a minimum :
Full list of coordinates
Full list and explanation of body angles (rationale) for the fit.
Try out at least 3 saddles
Try 3 crank lengths
2d video with angles over layed.
Plus a half hour re-visit for tweaks

Extras that would be nice:
Measurable power increase (ha)
Possible cleat shimming
Measure of my cda before and after
List of exercises /physio for physical limitations.

For $300 I'd want 2 hours of contact time that includes a fit bike not my own bike on a turbo.
This is obviously assuming the fitter is "good".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Can you post a video of you on the bike now?

Do you have a crush on the guy or something? He's not asking for feedback on his fit, just whether he got his money's worth out of it.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you expect from a $300 bike fit? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If his position is poor, he didn't get his money's worth.

And the fitter should have done a video.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, you have to look at how often you ride the bike to dial in your fit. Once a week doesn't get it. My fit didn't feel right until I was riding outside nearly daily. By riding it daily (or every other day), you make adaptive progress and notice an improvement.

Too many things can take away from the fit if you're not on that bike a lot after a fit. When I was running, swimming, doing a spin class indoors and relegating the bike to about once or twice a week, my posture never changed nor did I get a consistent feel because I was tired, etc...

Second, once you get a feel for how it's supposed to feel, there are still tweaks that can be made to tune it in even more. My tweak was that my left hip tends to be tight which gives me the feeling of the left leg being short. I lowered the seat just a little so when cornering right my weight was on the left pedal and off the saddle. That little bit of difference made the saddle the right height and got rid of pressure saddle sores that used to occur.

Third, I would expect the fitter to get back to you if I had questions in the future. That could be a month from the fit, six months from the fit or even into the next year. Mine in the Tampa Bay area does and it really makes feel better about the $300 that I paid.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything + a Krafty?!

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Re: What do you expect from a $300 bike fit? [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluntandy wrote:
For $300 I'd expect at a minimum :
Full list of coordinates
Full list and explanation of body angles (rationale) for the fit.
Try out at least 3 saddles
Try 3 crank lengths
2d video with angles over layed.
Plus a half hour re-visit for tweaks

Extras that would be nice:
Measurable power increase (ha)
Possible cleat shimming
Measure of my cda before and after
List of exercises /physio for physical limitations.

For $300 I'd want 2 hours of contact time that includes a fit bike not my own bike on a turbo.
This is obviously assuming the fitter is "good".

^^^^This. I'd make the following edits:
Before/After videos (front and side)
Knee tracking and cleat adjustments/shimming
I wouldn't expect crank length variants
Saddle options (if you are not linking your current one)

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For 300 bucks you are getting the time of someone that you hope has an opinion and expertise worthy of that price. If after that entire session they think it's perfect what does it matter if nothing was changed?

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get it, the fitter already told you to lower your saddle. What else do you expect from us?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What do you expect from a $300 bike fit? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right! Maybe add some tire pressure advice and a swim set recommendation ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: What do you expect from a $300 bike fit? [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This post is pretty good. I approve. Please Venmo me asap.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you expect from a $300 bike fit? [JT_Dennen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will send a Maggie and Ada pic. Just one is worth such value. Thank you for your approval.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toss up.

Some for $300 get back discomfort and a 100 km lesson on how to ride the hoods.
Some for $300 get 3 km per hr or more faster because they were so messed up to begin with.
Some for $300 get 3 minutes faster over 180 km.
Some for $300 get 5 minutes faster over 180 km but cannot run off it.
Some for $300 get 3 minutes faster over 180 km but run well off the bike.
etc.
etc.
etc.

Seen $300 fits that lead to nerve pain within one week.
Seen $300 fits that included purchasing $800-1000 in add on that are not needed.

Here is what you should get out of your bike fit. Power on your test ride vs power on you new position.

Does the power go up and the speed on the road . Win.
Does the power go up but the speed goes down. Fail.
Power goes down and speed goes down. Big fail.
Power goes down but speed is the same . Win
power goes down and speed goes up. BIG WIN!!!

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: What do you expect from a $300 bike fit? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My $300 fit is lifetime of my owning the bike. As often as I need it I can return and get adjustments. I go about every 2 years.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you expect from a $300 bike fit? [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kool.

So can I ask a few questions. I am intrested in.

How many times have you been back to refit.

What changes where made at the fittings?

Did it make you go faster, or get more comfortable? Did you measure power output during the fittings.

When you go back have you purchased different products like saddles, bars, stems etc during the other fittings.

Has you leg , arm or spine length changed since the first fitting?

If you sell the bike the fitting life time fee is over so does it make you want to own the bike longer rather then sell it.

Thanks in advance.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For any professional bike fit regardless of price, you should receive an excellent, orthodox position, or an explanation as to why that is not possible. Fits should include cleats and cranks and be done on a fit bike (unless you are from Boulder and famous, then just use your trainer). This position should be documented with photos, video, and full fit coordinates. You should receive 2-3 complete bike solutions, and a period of time where you can follow up via email, phone or return visits.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you expect from a $300 bike fit? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
Kool.

So can I ask a few questions. I am intrested in.

How many times have you been back to refit.

I went where my fitter was 2x and then he went independent and I have gone 2x. This is for a road bike.

Triathletetoth wrote:
What changes where made at the fittings?

Mostly minor stuff based upon changes in my body. The last visit we changed handlebars and seat position (minor change). Handlebars for more comfort.

Triathletetoth wrote:
Did it make you go faster, or get more comfortable? Did you measure power output during the fittings.

No power measurement (I do not have a PM). I went faster and was more comfortable. Probably went faster BECAUSE I was more comfortable.

Triathletetoth wrote:
When you go back have you purchased different products like saddles, bars, stems etc during the other fittings.

I did heat formed custom insoles. No pressure on sales. He makes suggestions but there is no pressure to buy.

Triathletetoth wrote:
Has you leg , arm or spine length changed since the first fitting?

Not that I know of.
Triathletetoth wrote:
If you sell the bike the fitting life time fee is over so does it make you want to own the bike longer rather then sell it.

No. If you buy a bike from him, fit is included. I will gladly pay for fitting of another bike if/when I get one. I asked him about fitting my MTB but he said my fit was pretty good on that as well. (He has seen me ride).

Triathletetoth wrote:
Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply

Prev Next