Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What do you do for a living? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was married to a teacher, she had a lot of extra time, not at all like you describe. Of course she didn't do much extra for the job, just was coasting through.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living? [castafari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work for the government, enjoy sweet benefits and ample training time. Government jobs are plush if you can land one.

Proud Member of the Cervelo Mafia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My IMAZ entry says that I'm a garden gnome.

I think I was unemployed at the time I filled that out.
Last edited by: austin79: Nov 30, 06 18:28
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living? [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh... that is so mean and unfair for yourself... you should have put "ANIMATED garden gnome"! ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living? [zone2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work for the government, enjoy sweet benefits and ample training time. Government jobs are plush if you can land one. [quote]

I did to the USMC. didn't give me much time off.
We spent to much time cleaning guns and brass and playing war.
I should have gone Air force but my golf handicap was to high ;-)

glad to be free Thom
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living? [rhodeshg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe some others make it work but I was a teacher for a while as was my wife and it's not end your day at 3:30. There are many many days that you have to bring work home and spend a lot of time on it The summer is also the time you are typically racing a lot---and not doing the mega mileage. The spring being the time for all the big base work---very hard for a teacher. Just my experience I wonder if others make it work well.

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living? [zone2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the idea that all government jobs are cruisey is a myth. i know of quite a few people working in government who work harder than they did in private practice (as lawyers). but maybe that has something to do with the fact that i work in the social services sector of government.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living? [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I the only tradesman? I am a maintenance machinist. I work 7-3:30 with every 2nd or 3rd friday off. I may not have been to university but I can sure turn 4140, 316, and Ti.
And hey, I can make my own titanium bike parts!
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living? [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or perhaps beard-less garden gnome
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the magic formula:

1. Have your kids grow up and move out of the house or otherwise not expect you to play with them (sort of a sad thing).

2. Be a partner in a large law firm so you can pretty much control your schedule (sort of a good thing).

3. Only do sprint triathlons so you don't have to train as much.

4. Let your wife redecorate the house so she is happy and doesn't care if you go on a long run or bike ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pharmaceutical rep...get into specialty (not primary care) and it's a little more respectable. Work hard, and make a ton of money. Plenty of time to train.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe a pharm rep is a good job but I wouldn't be a rep for a lab supplies company. As someone who works in academic research, the people who roam the halls with little suitcases on pulleys drive us crazy. Every time I go to the bathroom I come back and my desk is full of expensive glossy flyers about new plastic tubes that cost $2000. Once they learn your name they start calling you daily to tell about 'sales'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m a Freeloader. I have plenty of money and resources to take care of my own shit, but I really like the feeling people get when they help out a lovably unfortunate drifter like me. I have a home in Mesa AZ, Bakersfield, CA, Huntington Beach, CA and I am working on acquiring a place near Helena, MT and another in Panama City Beach. Drifting between these places cuts into training time because I am often spending the night at someone’s house, so it is a priority for me to have a bicycle at each location that is ready to ride when I get there. I have bikes staged in Mesa, Bakersfield and HB and I manage to get in about 14-18 hours per week.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Municipal lawyer with very predictable hours. I can pretty much train as much as I want, depending on how early I want to get up in the morning and how late I want to go to bed at night.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
federal litigator, 37.5 hour week, retiring in one year, 17 days, 8 hours, 23 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have a biology degree. Taught junior high for 1 1/2 years and although you are only actually teaching from 7:30-2:30, there is a lot of prep, grading, parent phone calls, etc. necessary to do a respectable job. Not to mention 12 and 13 -year -olds are mentally exhausting (high school may be less taxing). I now teach at a community college and am actually in the classroom around 15 hours per week. At this level, you have a lot of control over when your classes are scheduled which allows for training time either morning or early afternoon. There is still prep time, especially for the first couple of years, but I have quite a bit of free time. Summers, winter, and spring break are nice also. When I went from the junior high to the community college my salary almost doubled, providing a funding source for the new bike purchase!!! I'm not the only triathlete/marathoner at my place of employment. The only downfall is you need a master's degree. I'm a believer in the importance of free time (as opposed to no time but lots of cash). Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Firefighter/Paramedic in a good sized city. I work 24 hours on and 48 off. I came in this morning at 0800 and get off tomorrow at 0800. I'll usually go home and get an hour or so in on the trainer while the baby sleeps. Then catch up on some stuff. I try to sleep during her afternoon naps and then will ride/lift/run/play soccer after the wife gets home. My work schedule is a total of 56 hours a week, but that's only over 2.5 days/week, or 10 days a month. One of those days is also a mandatory day off per month.
I don't get paid 100K a year, but for working part time, we sure do get full time pay. I wouldn't change it for anything.

I really should train more than I do though.

Quote | Reply
Yes, to say "all" government jobs are cush would be an overstatement. I'm just enjoying mine, which isn't to say it isn't a lot of work. But the benefits are nice.

Proud Member of the Cervelo Mafia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work in sales, for a large French bank in a very interesting division that sells the following lines:
credit insurance, credit information and corporate ratings, receivables management and factoring. The credit insurance (or account receivable insurance) is my primary product and it puts me in the CEO or CFO office of larger corporations, but it's on my schedule. I manage the Rocky Mtn office for my firm which is based in NJ. I am typically on the phone for a good portion of the day or otherwise networking with other finance professionals. I travel in the Rocky Mountains a bit and often go to the Midwest. So far, I just pack running shoes and swimsuit and keep my bike at home. Training time is up to me (with consideration for family time) which is a definite plus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a police officer ... I work four days a week, Wed-Sat., 1630-0230. I'm usually in bed by 0330 and up by 1030. That leaves plenty of time to train, even on the days I work.

Plus, my department rewards fitness. Twice a year, the department holds a fitness test where you can 'earn' up to 40 hours award leave time (read: free vacation time). So, without too much difficulty, I can earn an extra 2 week vacation every year. Pretty sweet.

The down side is there is always the possibility of getting shot, or stabbed, or having a citizen file a complain against you for simply doing your job (which is actually a much greater fear than the first two possibilities).

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am an oxy moron.

Military Intelligence.

Not always time to train. Some bosses are understanding and promote physical fitness, but not everyone in the Canadian Forces is an advocate of fitness...fried food and ass kissing is more the norm.

http://slow-triathlete.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biology?

Perhaps exersize phys, proclaim yourself a coach and work at a fitness studio, club, or personal training co.

Bike Industry jobs can favor time on the bike as well, but you have to accept a dramatic decrease in pay vs. similar jobs in the pharmacuetical sector for example.

I agree with the poster that said "Do what you love for a job, and the rest will fall in place."

-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NAVY DIVERS GO DEEPER AND STAY LONGER!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i graduated in 1993 also with a biology degree. have been hanging out in New York City working nights at an investment bank doing desktop publishing for the past few years. have the days free to train but early morning training is out of the question. hours are very flexible... but so much for the biology degree (though it does help when reading through some of the things people post here)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Real estate broker/investor/commercial appraisal business appraisal owner. Under normal conditions I can set my schedule pretty well but the last 2 years have been anything but normal and I have been working way too much.

Prev Next