Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What do people think of Softride bikes?
Quote | Reply

I have done tris for 1 season on a road bike, mainly sprints and olys. I am thinking of doing a couple of 1/2im's and was considering a new bike. The Softride story sounds pretty good to me if it is true (so easy on your rear end, can adjust all over the place to fit you, etc.). The thing is, though, I can't find any place to actually ride one to see what it's like. They don't have any dealers in Chicago and the few places out in the burbs don't seem to have any size L demos.

1) If anyone has got one, how do you like it (and why)? Will it work for a beginner who isn't too flexible.

2) If I find a place to test ride it (I assume people think that is important but if not, tell me), will just taking it around the block give me a sense of how it is to ride or do I need to do something more elaborate to get a sense?
Quote Reply
Re: What do people think of Softride bikes? [goolsbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am assuming you have already tried our shop in Glen Ellyn, The Bike Shop. If not, I have listed the shop info below. I will also be at the Accenture race in Chicago on the 26-28 of August and would be more than happy to set you up on a demo bike. I ride a large and will have one at the race. This offer stands for everyone.

Please contact me at the number or email below with any questions.

Dealer info: The Bike Shop (630)793-4030

Thanks,

Adam Greene

Softride Bike

adam.greene@softride.com

Direct: 888.258.7299

www.softride.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]

[font "Arial"]I have done tris for 1 season on a road bike, mainly sprints and olys. I am thinking of doing a couple of 1/2im's and was considering a new bike. The Softride story sounds pretty good to me if it is true (so easy on your rear end, can adjust all over the place to fit you, etc.). The thing is, though, I can't find any place to actually ride one to see what it's like. They don't have any dealers in Chicago and the few places out in the burbs don't seem to have any size L demos.

1) If anyone has got one, how do you like it (and why)? Will it work for a beginner who isn't too flexible.[/font][font "Arial"]
[/font]

[font "Arial"]2) If I find a place to test ride it (I assume people think that is important but if not, tell me), will just taking it around the block give me a sense of how it is to ride or do I need to do something more elaborate to get a sense?[/font] [/reply]

I've been riding Softrides for about 7 years now. I have other bikes, but the softride my main race bike. Yes they are extremely comfortable on longer rides, but I don't think one 20 mile ride will give you an appreciation for how comfy they are. They are a little heavier than other high end bikes, but I've had top bike splits on the Softride, including some pretty hilly courses. I recently switched from a 650 to 700 and seem to be a little faster with the 700 set up.

My word of caution is the configuration to adjust the beam on the Rocket is the not the easiest to understand. If you don't have a mechanic who can work on it locally, it be difficult to understnad how to adjust the beam. Maybe for an engineer it's easy, but I've had a heck of a time understanding their adjustment mechanism.

They've performed extremely well in the wind tunnel tests, and have very good aerodynamics.

People I've loved, I have no regrets
Some I remember, some I forget
Some of them living, some of them dead
All I want is to be home ".....Foo Fighters, Home

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't over look the TitanFlex. Not only is it super comfortable and adjustable, but you don't have to worry about maintenance. The TF is simple with out the multiple parts that the Softride has. I looked long and hard when buying my new bike and went with the TitanFlex. I have not been dissapointed - it is comfortable, relatively light and I am faster. No you can't test ride one (if your medium ht and in MI we can make arrangements). Check with Tom @ TitanFlex before you make your decision.

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer stiff and powerfull, bouncing is not for me. They suppose to be very aero.

I hear many stories about the beam being not very reliable. Forget about around the block. You need to know how it climbs, corners, decend and so on. Around the block means very little.

My verdict: YOO-GEEE-EL-WHY

UGLY.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: What do people think of Softride bikes? [ADAMSOFTRIDE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried Glen Ellyn but they don't have one in L. I may take you up on the offer at accenture and check it out.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: What do people think of Softride bikes? [letter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as letter said, consider the TF if you're looking at suspended riding bikes. To address one of your questions, yes, Softride and Titanflex bikes actually do what they say they do...you can literally stay seated as you ride across railroad tracks without hurting yourself. I only ride my Kestrel Talon on days that are going to be with a big group and are going to be very short. ALL my other rides are on the Titan Flex...it's THAT much more comfortable.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
paging Docfuel

Re: What do people think of Softride bikes? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they look really stupid with middle aged fat guys on them.

;-)

You call yourself a Christian, I call you hypocrite. You call yourself a patriot well, I think you're full of s**t

NeoCon by the Rolling Stones
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to be the third to recommend Titanflex. The company is very easy to work with, and the bike is super simple and reliable. I looked at Softride before I bought the Titanflex, but it had way too many problems. They have brought out some new models though, so those beam problems may be a thing of the past.

Softride is certainly worth a serious look.

My fully configured Titanflex that I used at Lake Placid was well under 18 pounds including everything except water.
Quote Reply
Re: What do people think of Softride bikes? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tonight I start my 36 hours of travelling to get to NYC. Sitting in my cousins apartment is a shiny new Titanflex frame and some wheels. Sunday I get to build it up and Monday I get fitted at Roadworx.

Excitedly bouncing!!!!! New toy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Rocketwing and absolutely love it!!! I don't compete but it's great for those long fast cruises along the San Diego coast. This bike flies! And it actually climbs pretty darn good because of the stiff rear triangle. The bike is not only very comfortable but it handles very well.

Now the downsides...

I don't like having to wonder if I'm going to have problems with the beam. I haven't had any trouble but I haven't put a lot of miles on it. My plan is to have it serviced every 6 months and have the pivot and beam checked.

You need a good carbon fork on the front. Ironically, with your rear end riding in so much comfort, you are much more aware of the harshness a stiff fork and/or stiff wheel brings. I have Hed3s. I put on an Easton EC90 Aero Fork and it rides great now!

If you want to do time-trials as I'm planning, beam bikes will not be legal as of 2007. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm setting up my Rocketwing into a much more aggressive posture and will use it for my solo rides. I just bought a Trek Madone to use for group rides and where the ride has a ton of hills.

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

First, don't take into account third party opinions. Everyone's "heard" something from some friend.

I have never ridden a Titanflex, but have had three Softies. I now have the FASTT7. Like the other two I love it. As for the bounce, if you can pedal circles and not squares you will not have to worry about that. A better pedaling profile was one of the fringe benefits of the Softie to me. Do they look ugly? I certainly do not think so. Nor do the people at traffic lights that ask me about the bike. What ever you do, do good test rides. Around the block is not a good indicator of anything.

Read Dan's review of the new bike he wrote a couple weeks back.

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Rocket TT and love it. Its about 19lbs but you really dont feel the extra weight. in terms of cornering no bike compares, climbing is good, and long bumpy stretches of road are no pain. recently had the mechnisme of the beam fail and it took me about 3 weeks for replacment, although it failed I was able to ride it home no problem. Overall they are great bikes and I highly recomned them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've owned two beam bikes, a Softride and an Elite Aria. I loved them both, you will not find a more comfortable ride. Only downside is a slight weight disadvantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hated my TT7. I never felt comfortable on it and it scared the bejeesus out of me on high speed descents with any kind of aero front wheel. I'm on a Yaqui now and loving it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been testing a TT7 for my Blog since April. Here are the positives:

1) I can ride for over three hours with no pain.

2) I can corner better due to the ability to shift my CG (centre of gravity).

3) I can climb like a billy goat.

4) I can accelerate by the virtue of being able to load up the beam, just like with climbing.

5) Did I mention that it's fast?

6) I can train like I did pre-back injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode one in Kona 2003...and sold it when I got back. I just found the upkeep to be a hassle..always adjusting the beam, seemed difficult to transport, I did notice the bouncing(but maybe that was ME!). I went back to my old Kestrel 500sci and just felt faster...
HC

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My story has been told many times here and on TNO. Back when I was racing a lot, I went through an old Trek 520, and a Specialized Allez Epic. Did a tri in the back country around Olympia, and my ass went numb. I decided I'd give the Softrides a test. In Bellingham, I found a shop that carried them (no surprise, Softride is based there). Within 10 minutes I was sold, and was LOOKING for things to run over. Cush ride. I went the custom route, and raced not only tri's but USCF on that one. Still have it, on the original beam, with NO problems, now 10 (maybe 12) years on. It's now my TT/tri rig. I also got a 2nd Softride, a TiCycles titanium. Then I got a 3rd, a track/single speed TiCycles (this one in steel). I have had NO issues with the beam on any of these bikes. They are all the classic beam variety, not the FasTT type.

I've won several USCF Hillclimb TT titles on them, done a lot of stage races, RAMROD, and the like -- the bike has never held me back. And the fatigue factor... You just don't get as tired, as you're isolated from most of the road vibration (at least on the ass).

Personally, I'll never go back to a rigid frame. I'd heard that the USCF was doing the "me too" thing and revising it's regs to "outlaw" all beam bikes for 2007. *sigh* I'll miss road racing.

But definitely give it a try. All the folks who talk about bouncing... I've never had a problem with that either. But I guess I've always had a pretty smooth pedal stroke. And the lower frame itself is very stiff (aside from the wishbone chainstay models), so climbing and sprinting (not that that's a concern for triathletes) is actually enhanced.

Hope that helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What do people think of Softride bikes? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got an older 650 powerwing with the old style (non-rocket) beam. Very easy to adjust, and mine has been zero beam maintenance after years of use. I wouldn't want to throw my leg over anything else for IM.

My Saturday rides are 5 hours and I have had zero problems pains or aches. They are very comfortable. I've heard people say "I wouldn't want to bounce... duh huh".... Let me tell you that there IS no bounce effect that I can detect,... and sometimes I'm a masher (186 lbs).

If I were doing ALOT of climbing, I'd look for another bike in addition to this one, but for flat or rollers, I give my highest recommendation.

Your arse will thank you after 5 hours, and You'll run very well off of it!

did I mention that it's fast.... but it's not a feather light, even with carbon bars and wheels.

But I laugh at rough roads. A carbon fork might be a great upgrade.

Unlimited geometry adjustment.

good pick in my book,

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Rocket TT7. All the little vibrations and bumps that pound on me on my road bike, just aren't a problem on my SR. I can climb just fine with it. I used to be more slack, but now I'm up at 80 degrees. The adjustability is great, but it is a little more complex than just raising the seatpost and sliding the saddle on the rails. I've gotten used to it.
To tell you how aero it is, I just blast by everyone on the descents, even the faster riders.

A short trip on a bumpy road, right after the same road on your regular bike, will give you the idea. Use the same saddle.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a Rocket TT7 for almost a year. My bike and run splits have been faster that with my Cervelo. The main advantages in my opinion are increased comfort especially the last 10 miles of a half, and a wide fit band that has allowed my to significantly shorten my cockpit distance and get a lower position. I bought mine directly thru Softride.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: What do people think of Softride bikes? [PresbyOpie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't hesitate in a minute recommending a Softride. I had a SR Rocketwing TT that unfortuntely got ran over & tore/ripped in several pieces. Presently I'm just riding my road bike, but do plan on getting another Softride (FasTT) as my Tri Bike. My road bike is carbon and I love it for group rides, but it can't beat the comfort and aerodynamics of my Softride & I never had any problems at all climbing on my SR either. Riding on a long rides and on bumpy/rough roads are just so much more comfortable on a SR. Definitely try one out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have posted on this many times, but I hated my rocket and love my titanflex. The rocket beam mechanism is extremely complex, difficult to adjust and is prone to break at the wrong time. I went in to my first IM with the major concern being DNF due to mechanical problems with the bike. Titanflex simply rocks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next