Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What color to paint work-out room/office
Quote | Reply
Now that we are settling in our home we are considering paint colors. We have a great bonus room that will double as our work-out room and office (we don't do a lot of work from home, so it's not a fancy office). The work-out portion will include a Lemond Revmaster, a treadmill, probably an Epic T60 from Costco and at some point probably a Bowflex or some similar resistance apparatus.

Any thoughts on paint colors that will aid in motivating us during our workouts? I know there have been studies done that relate to mood changes based on room color. I remember the visitors locker room at Camp Randall Stadium at Univ of Wisconsin being painted pink to drive the visiting team wacky. Was it pink? I don't remember, but I do recall someone saying that it was painted that way based on some studies about paint color and mood.

So what color should we paint our work-out room/office?

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Re: What color to paint work-out room/office [Lieutenant_Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Black!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or if you don't like the above (I would adorn it w/ Judas Priest and AC/DC, etc posters), the how about a super cool faux concrete look? Make it look like a basement.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go for yellows, reds, and/or oranges. The best thing I've found is adding bright full spectrum bulbs which really raises the energy level in the room.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely not blue, although studies show this color calms people. Impossible to find a good shade. I also would not go for anything red, yellow, or similar.

I like a color called desert gobi. Kind of an earthy tone.

Buy a lot of mirrors. I find that it helps.

Unfortunately my workout room is off-white, with no mirrors. It is carpeted.
Quote Reply
Re: What color to paint work-out room/office [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pffffffff, what, no chrome and ferns? I say go old skool!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In our first house, we painted our office/workout room with a very faint yellowish/earthy type color. We added some bright lights which definitely kept the room very "energized" (as my wife used to say). Problem, too much light (i.e. wattage) just made it too hot so we had to find a good medium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just painted ours ORANGE and it is awesome!!! We love it!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What else, but pink!

-----------------------------------------------------
"If you hold on tight to what you think is your thing, you might find you're missing all the rest"

Dave Matthews
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Orange, brown and yellow might be OK, but I really think it should be pink with purple paisleys.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: What color to paint work-out room/office [tritnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I was thinking of going with a yellow. Washington state can get a little gloomy and gray in the winter, so I'm thinking we will need something a little lighter to keep the room bright. Too dark and it may feel like a cave. I'll check out the desert gobi. Definitely going with mirrors. I have found that the only way I can spend any significant time on a treadmill is if I'm constantly watching my form in a mirror.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paint it in colors that mean something to you. I've seen home gyms painted with the person's college colors or pro-team colors that motivate that person, sometimes with college logos or posters on the walls. For some reason it seem to take you back to your youth a little bit and give you some extra energy.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey L.T., are you kidding here? what is this? the new, 'metrosexual' military?!

what color to paint a room ?!!!

anyway, there are only 2 choices for a military man: ultra 'hospital' white, or 'full metal jacket', barrack toilet, puke green!

that's it!

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: Greg X: Aug 27, 05 7:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yellow inspires energy and activity.

on the card swatch, pick one that looks like butter, not lemons...otherwise you won't have eyesight after you go in the room.

LOL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 FYI - the Epic T60 was recalled because of problems with the shock assembly
Quote Reply
Re: What color to paint work-out room/office [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Slowguy's idea. I'd also consider posters of athletes you admire or who motivate you. At the YMCA I use, they have famous pictures of athletes, such as Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, Lance Armstrong, etc. on the walls.

"luck is at the intersection of preparation and opportunity"

http://www.drinkmorecustomwater.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not do a skyscape (sky and some cumulus clouds) on the ceiling and upper portion of the walls so you can simulate being out doors. Couldn't hurt when training indoors during bad weather. I've even seen wall mural wallpaper at Home Depot that had this.
Quote Reply
Re: What color to paint work-out room/office [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
yellow inspires energy and activity.

on the card swatch, pick one that looks like butter, not lemons...otherwise you won't have eyesight after you go in the room.

LOL.
Good point, Kitty. I know this from trying to paint some form of yellow in our house. Uggggggg. Always too bright.

Quote Reply
Re: What color to paint work-out room/office [greensneakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info on the Epic T60. Where did you get that info? I did a google search but didn't come up with anything.

Dan Hollingsworth

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: What color to paint work-out room/office [greensneakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Dan Hollingsworth

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yellow is more of a spiritual thought provoking color. That's excellent for an office, but not for a workout room. For a workout room you want an orange-red. Orange-red is associated with a primal and sexual energy; very powerful. Definitely want full spectrum lights with a CRI of at least 95...OR...even better in my opinion is spotlights that hang fairly low so you can cast shadows perfectly to really work on symmetry. Of course that means you need mirrors too. You'll want a decent sound system of course. Plants are a must, you don't want to be the only living and breathing organic thing in the room, it'll suck too much energy out of you.

You make up any sketches yet so we know what we are working with here, I mean, honestly man...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived on the eastern slope of the Cascades in north central Washington for three years. It was an outstanding training environment, but running was limited in the winter unless you used a treadmill. I tried posters for motivation, a TV to chase the boredom away – nothing worked well. Then I had a stupid idea to cut out (from magazines, old posters, etc) any picture of the BACK of a runner. I placed them on the wall in a hodgepodge collection: bigger pictures at chest level, increasingly smaller ones higher to give a sense of depth into the “distance.” This farrago gave the illusion of chasing a pack. Admittedly it is an odd concept, and probably not for most people, but it may be worth a try if you hate treadmills as much as I do. It certainly helped keep my focus on the workout rather than slipping into a “hamster on a wheel” mentality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question for you. My wife and I are building and we're painting the interior ourselves. When painting colors, I've had people tell me to use flat paint instead of satin or semi-gloss. Is this what you're doing? why is that?

i don't mean to hijack your thread, it just seemed funny that i check out slowtwitch and there is a topic that I thought about just last night.

thanks, Burns
Quote Reply
Re: What color to paint work-out room/office [Burns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forget flat. Try using the eggshell finish.
Quote Reply

Prev Next