Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What cassette did you run at Quassy??
Quote | Reply
I'm still going over again and again why I rode such a mediocre time at Quassy despite lots of time in the saddle and plenty of 2x20s leading up.

My bike is an 05 Felt S32 With original drivetrain 12-23 105 cassette, 172.5 cranks 39/53 rings upfront.

Would changing to a cassette helped me? On that insane IBM at mile 23 I was in my lowest gear out of the saddle becaus it was too hard to "spin" seated. I don't mind getting up out of the saddle but for such a long climb I think it affected my legs too much for not even being halfway trough.

This or i should have found some hilly
Areas and done a lot more 60min all out efforts but I'll work those into the plan.

Thanks for any advice/critique

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: What cassette did you run at Quassy?? [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew that Quassy was going to be really hilly so I switched out my 12-23 for an 11-28 just to be safe. Not sure if it made a huge difference but it was nice to have those two extra gears.

Ready or not here I come!
Coaching NY's Southern Tier
Swift^3
Quote Reply
Re: What cassette did you run at Quassy?? [Givingchase] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may need to invest in one of those cassettes I think it would help. Live and learn I guess! Thx for your input.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11-28. Never left the saddle. Off the bike in 2:40 feeling as good as one could all things (hills & heat) considered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That SRAM 11-26 is my go to for riding in this area with a 53-39 in the front. Spun the 26 up that slow death climb just fine.

cheers
S.

// qui audet adipiscitur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Compact, 50-34 crank with 11-27 cassette. Even with that, I would not have minded an easier ring on a few of the hills. But I has having a terrible day on the bike so I doubt it would have helped.
Last edited by: JoeO: Jun 3, 13 14:23
Quote Reply
Re: What cassette did you run at Quassy?? [Mvitale24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same cassette, similar bike, then we had a nice run at the end before you ran away from me on that last hill. Great race and nice to meet you.
Cheers
MDD1997
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11-28, trek SC. came out of the saddle for only 2 brief moments on the olympic course, 4th fastest bike split of the day.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: What cassette did you run at Quassy?? [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting: I too ran an 11/28 and thought it was too much gear. It was okay on the big ascents, but really felt like I was missing something on the first and last 5 miles. Thought 11/26 would have been perfect. Went Sub 3 which was a great split for me on that course.

Edit: I now see that you were referring to the Olympic course... Great job anyway
Last edited by: spider: Jun 4, 13 3:51
Quote Reply
Re: What cassette did you run at Quassy?? [spider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm talking Half course don't know about others.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50/34 and an 11-28

never had to come out of the saddle to climb, although I did a few times just to stretch out a bit.

Unfortunately I am way to large to be doing races that hilly. 213AP/240NP barely got me 18mph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12-23 is pretty limited for Quassy. I ran a 53-39 with 12-25 and 175 cranks on a road bike (for the Olympic, my first triathlon). A #-25 or #-28 is definitely a good idea for either course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11-25. The best gear is to be a few pounds lighter. Said with a smile.

-----------------
Dale Stephanos (Formerly PappaD)

Last edited by: PappaD: Jun 4, 13 5:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11-28 SRAM force on a regular crank. It is the only cassette I have, as my rides normally have a fair amount of climbing.

Only got out of the saddle when I wanted to accelerate over the kickers or make a pass, not because of the elevation. I did notice the gaps on some of the "flats." but it is totally worth the comfort of having the granny gear, especially on that course.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely get an 11-27 or 11-28 for a hilly course. Unless you know you can spin up the hills with a 23, why make things difficult?

Quote | Reply
I ran a 50/34 up front and 11-28 in the back and posted a 3:06 bike...Im just a terrible biker...that course was rough
Quote Reply
Re: What cassette did you run at Quassy?? [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't leave home without my 12-27 cassette for Quassy. Cannondale Slice w/ 172.5 arms and standard 53-39, didn't have to leave the saddle and spun up the hills. If you don't train that way, standing up out of the saddle that early in the race on that monster climb can do some damage and burn some matches, that's for sure!!

http://www.motiv-8.blogspot.com

Quote Reply