Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What can we learn from Eliud Kipchoge
Quote | Reply
Kipchoges marathon world record seems to be "out of this word" and the training he completes day to day is incredible. But what strikes me most about this guy is his way of thinking. He seems to be a zen buddhist. Kipchoge is what I'd imagine a Shaolin Monk devoting himself to the marathon would be.

Sure, you don't run 2:01:39 without tremendous talent. But Kipchoge makes sure to put every bit of it to good use and wastes none.

I find it very interesting that this man is at the top of the marathon world since 2013 without one single bad race. Every year he has exactly two days to prove himself and he always delivers on the right day. He is always prepared and handles pressure with ease. He is never injured despite running 180-200 km a week. With his track and marathon days combined he has a very long career. Other marathoners deliver one or two outstanding races and then fade away. Not Kipchoge. So he must be doing something right. What can we learn from him?

I think a lot comes down to patience and consistency. He builds his fitness "slowly by slowly". That means there is no reason to hurry. Don't try to do workouts that you are not prepared to do yet. It is enough to improve just a little bit time after time. You also don't need to rush into another workout when you are not recovered from the previous one.

Interesting is also his effort on hard days. Hard days are challenging but (for him) not gut wrenching. He often only goes 90% percent on hard days. All out is reserved for the race. Maybe we are sometimes too worried about pushing ourselves as hard as possible. When a workout is completed under control you can work up to the end with high quality movement, you can do another one sooner and it is not as hard on the body. It should also improve consistency.

The work ethic he shows is huge, but more importantly he seems to really enjoy that process of hard graft. Chop wood, carry water. Everyday. Before enlightenment and after. The process is more important than the outcome.
We hear a lot of stories of the hard working east africans. There are plenty that do it. But when you only do it because you want to earn money and get a better life you will stop once you accomplished your goal. Kipchoge is different as he seems to like that humble lifestyle.

Even in top level athletes such a combination of talent, work ethic, wisdom and attitude is a rare feat. Roger Federer is another one that comes to my mind.

I am a fan of a soccer team. With single sport athletes I am not really into this whole fanboy thing. I find some more inspiring than others and I tend to root for the hardest working ones. I always put great athletic accomplishments into perspective as I don't know how they've been accomplished. But I for sure find Kipchoges way of thinking very inspiring.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: What can we learn from Eliud Kipchoge [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there is definitely a point to be made about saving your hard efforts for the race. I did a 10k in the spring and surprised myself whereby my race pace was at a faster pace than my 1km repeats that I had been building up to.

Recently, with age and experience, I have come to go by the rule that just because I can, does not mean I should.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's nothing to learn.

Nothing about him is in any way similar or applicable to anyone on this forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drugs work
Quote Reply
Re: What can we learn from Eliud Kipchoge [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And that you're a douche!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
He seems to be a zen buddhist.

He says he's a Christian.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Self Discipline and consistency. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc00mDtzIJU

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Last edited by: nbrowne1: Sep 22, 18 20:46
Quote Reply
Re: What can we learn from Eliud Kipchoge [nbrowne1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, this is very interesting.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do we find his training blogs, routines etc?
*drives to Starbucks for cafe latte*
Quote Reply
Re: What can we learn from Eliud Kipchoge [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:

Being applicable is different than just learning. It sure is interesting to learn about him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That there is no reason to avoid training between what some call LT1 and LT2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one of the most important things i learned from him was to run fast.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: What can we learn from Eliud Kipchoge [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and to carefully pick your parents. . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fruit for breakfast, starches for dinner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I weigh too much.
Quote Reply
Re: What can we learn from Eliud Kipchoge [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
rubik wrote:

Being applicable is different than just learning. It sure is interesting to learn about him.

About is different than from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
trail wrote:
rubik wrote:

'

OK? In this case I think the use of "from" was a rhetorical device. And I think you know that.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 23, 18 10:24
Quote Reply
Re: What can we learn from Eliud Kipchoge [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
rubik wrote:
trail wrote:
rubik wrote:

'

OK? In this case I think the use of "from" was a rhetorical device. And I think you know that.

The thread centers on lessons learned from what he does. My response addresses that. Your response to my response centered on learning about him. Two entirely different things, so not sure what your point is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha, checkmate, trail! i bet you feel stupid now!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
trail wrote:
rubik wrote:
trail wrote:
rubik wrote:

'

The thread centers on lessons learned from what he does. My response addresses that. Your response to my response centered on learning about him. Two entirely different things, so not sure what your point is.

I'm not English and not American so maybe I write it wrong.

But isn't it that we can learn ABOUT mental attitude and we can learn about it FROM Kipchoge?

Of course web can also learn "about" Kipchoge, (his training regimen, his height, his favourite meal) but as soon as we draw conclusions from it we learn something "from" him.

Quote Reply
Re: What can we learn from Eliud Kipchoge [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
That there is no reason to avoid training between what some call LT1 and LT2.

Yes, but that can we also see with the Ingebrigtsens or the Norwegian ITU guys.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
rubik wrote:
trail wrote:
rubik wrote:
trail wrote:
rubik wrote:

'

But isn't it that we can learn ABOUT mental attitude and we can learn about it FROM Kipchoge?

Of course web can also learn "about" Kipchoge, (his training regimen, his height, his favourite meal) but as soon as we draw conclusions from it we learn something "from" him.

Some people like to take the "there's nothing that age groupers can learn from pros" perspective, and it's a real shame because there is tremendous amounts to learn from people who are achieving excellence across many sports and areas of life. But if people want to dismiss those lessons as not applying to them, that's too bad for them.

Kipchoge is a tremendous example of attitude and positive thinking, and consistency. And there are certainly elements to what he does and how he does it that we can apply to our own training and life if we want to. But there are lots of people who are going to dismiss it, and that's their loss.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
rubik wrote:
trail wrote:
rubik wrote:
trail wrote:
rubik wrote:

'

No, the way you phrased it was correct. There were misunderstandings by other people.

But no, I don't think we can learn anything from him.
Quote Reply
Re: What can we learn from Eliud Kipchoge [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:

Some people like to take the "there's nothing that age groupers can learn from pros" perspective, and it's a real shame because there is tremendous amounts to learn from people who are achieving excellence across many sports and areas of life. But if people want to dismiss those lessons as not applying to them, that's too bad for them.

Kipchoge is a tremendous example of attitude and positive thinking, and consistency. And there are certainly elements to what he does and how he does it that we can apply to our own training and life if we want to. But there are lots of people who are going to dismiss it, and that's their loss.

Why is that a shame, again?

What lessons are you gleaning from a world-class athlete that you couldn't figure out for yourself, or get from even the most mediocre BOP athlete who has the drive but simply doesn't have the talent?

That's the point. You want positivy and all that jazz, it's all out there. You want training methodologies? It's all out there. You want nutrition? It's all out there. There's nothing new here, and there's nothing applicable to you here.

You want to learn something, get a mentor or hire a coach. At least "learn" from someone who has a vested interest in making this "knowledge" some how applicable to your personal situation. Because otherwise it's just silliness and irrelevant. You can't do what he does. Not because you may not want to, but because you simply cannot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
dfru wrote:

Why is that a shame, again?

What lessons are you gleaning from a world-class athlete that you couldn't figure out for yourself, or get from even the most mediocre BOP athlete who has the drive but simply doesn't have the talent?

That's the point. You want positivy and all that jazz, it's all out there. You want training methodologies? It's all out there. You want nutrition? It's all out there. There's nothing new here, and there's nothing applicable to you here.

You want to learn something, get a mentor or hire a coach. At least "learn" from someone who has a vested interest in making this "knowledge" some how applicable to your personal situation. Because otherwise it's just silliness and irrelevant. You can't do what he does. Not because you may not want to, but because you simply cannot.

I guess there's nothing you can learn from Kipchoge - that's cool.

There isn't really anything that anyone is doing that isn't "out there". But saying there's nothing applicable to me in what Kipchoge does, how would you know that? It's consistency, and slow progression, and having a great training system and the value in training with others. I truly believe that there's so much simplicity in Kipchoge's overall training that there is a tremendous value to examining it to transfer ideas to the regular runner and triathlete. Not copy the plan, but some of the ideals.

To say if I want to learn, hire a coach. Cool. Don't coaches all over the world study the best practices of others and then how to transfer that to others? I'm not looking at another 4:4x HIM athlete to find out how I can get better. I look at what others ahead of me are doing and what they do that might be applicable. Just because I'm not Kipchoge doesn't mean I can't take anything from him.

I don't think we will see eye to eye on this one, and that's cool. But I've done enough studying and coaching and evaluation to know that what I am taking and applying from various entities and athletes is not silliness and irrelevant. But there's a million ways to do this triathlon thing - hopefully we all find ways that works for us.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply

Prev Next