hey there just browsing the ebay and saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...&item=1987331832

what brand is it?

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: What bike is this? GT, Cervelo, other? [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah looks like an old girlfrien........an old GT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I Believe Gt But made for them By A guy, Forrest Do not remember his last name, I think he still makes them,I do know that David Tiemeyer who worked for GT Still makes a frame much like that,i know because i just got one from David.Cool frame.Randall ( my history is a little bad David and Forrest worked together at a custom shop Making these frames for the 96 project and that bike was a platform for the Superbike 2 (Hope i am some what correct and do not offend anyone)
Quote Reply
Re: What bike is this? GT, Cervelo, other? [randall t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Randall is right, the guy's name was Forrest Ylverton if I recall correctly. He did custom frames from a small custom/prototyping shop in Colorado primarily for GT. Just a guess, but the design seems to be similar to some of the bikes he built, although it could be anything realistically I guess. He was the Project 96 builder among other things and I think also built the GT time trial bikes that were available at retail for a short time. I have to believe this might have some value to a serious bike collector, but to somone trying to compete and train on it with some degree of reliability it might be a lot of work, kind of like trying to compete with new Formula 1 cars on a classic Formula 1 chassis- tough to do.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is one of the original GT TT bikes, a custom build. When later mass produced it became the Vengeance. I have a buddy who still races one of these. Very cool bike because of the mixed wheel size and wheel fairing below the BB. I think the wishbone seatstay is very sloppy compared to how the stays were done on later models. The internal cable routing is also not as nice as later models. Also note that there are no water bottle bosses.

One of the few advantages of this bike over the newer models is that with the 700 rear wheel you do not have to use the larger chainrings, and it will shift nicer. The mass produced frame with 650 rear wheel has a very short chainstay and does not shift smoothly. Also the seat clamp assembly on this model is heavier, but much sturdier than the mass produced model- it clamps onto the rails of the seat more securely.

This frame is really not that rare, there are some out there. I have seen two others on ebay in the last year. And this model is damaged. $500 is about what you can get a decent used Vengeance. This one should be worth a bit more, but with the damaged fairing, I don't know. It is also a VERY long bike, like 58cm for this size AT THE TOP TUBE. When you figure how much above the top tube you actually sit compared to other bikes, it will feel longer. Seat angle is about 7.45 I believe.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: What bike is this? GT, Cervelo, other? [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To add to above:

The seller states that this bike was possibly ridden in the Tour. That is probably not true. I can pretty much say that it has not. The "rebranding" is done with a couple of cheap stickers. USPS did not have a team during the time this bike was popular with pros. I don't remember USPS ever having anything that looked like this color scheme. I am almost positive this is actually one of the bikes I saw earlier in the year for sale on ebay.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
650/700 wheelset? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The UCI hasn't allowed TT bikes with different sized wheels in some time (anyone know how long?). Makes me wonder how old this frame is...
Quote Reply
Re: 650/700 wheelset? [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The mixed wheel size bikes were offically banned on 31 Dec 1999 by the UCI.
Quote Reply
Re: What bike is this? GT, Cervelo, other? [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will concur with you. I do not remember the USPS team ever riding funnybikes, nor having that paint scheme. I would say that it is somewhat rare, but the history of that bike would be dubious, at least.

Come to think of it, the paint scheme looks an awful lot like the paint scheme I have seen on the old GT TT bike of this particular description. Hmmm...
Quote Reply
Re: What bike is this? GT, Cervelo, other? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am pretty sure i do recall the postal's using that bike. i can't recall when specifically, tho. it would child's play for the waterford crew to weld it up.

some guys who win are using tubulars, many are not. :)
Quote Reply
Re: What bike is this? GT, Cervelo, other? [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oops, i meant the waterloo crew. could well be wrong on the posties. :)
Quote Reply
Bunny.. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just out of curiosity...it is the second post where "you concur" with someone...that word is not used very often on forums, or elsewhere for that matter...

did you just see "catch me if you can" or what???
:-))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely a GT, definitely made by the Forrest Yelverton crew, definitely not made in Waterloo or used in the Tour. The Trek Aluminum TT bikes (pre-carbon and still used by Peter Reid) are different, in tubing, wheelsizes, seatpost mast construction and other details.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GT in question was ridden by the posties pre-Lance, looks like the paint job is from the first year they rode Trek's, so that would place it around 1996? IIRC, they rode the rebadged GT frames in time trials while they were waiting for Trek to come out with something equivalent. The actual frame here probably dates from prior to 1996, when postal was sponsored by GT.

Postal didn't ride the Tour until 1997. It might have been used in that tour, but I can't find a photo of a USPS rider in a TT from the 1997 tour.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Speaking of Trek Alu TT bikes... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen some pictures of Trek's aluminum TT frames, and they look pretty nice. Can anyone tell me more about them? (ahem....like how they compare to Cervelos...)

Thanks,

Kelvin
Quote Reply