Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What are you riden, punk?
Quote | Reply
Ok, I know this has been done a ton of times before, but since we likley have some new triathletes hanging out, I feel curious, and it has never been done with The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly as a backdrop, let's try it again. (que stupid whistle music) So the question, what are you riding? Try and keep it a shorter in length: frameset, wheelset, groupo, any noteable upgrades. And then tell us whats good about it, bad, and the ugly truth. (or feel free to brag.)

So here's mine, QR Kilo and fork. stock stuff except Azoto for my tush, and Axial Pro Lite for my wheels.

The hopeless (cowboy movie) gopher

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Re: What are you riden, punk? [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It's cold and rainy (again) here in NYC so I thought I'd get creative. Here is my setup for this year.

There is no air in the tires in the photo. Tufo tubs. See you at Wildflower! Pray for sun.

:-)

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2002 Cervelo One, 105, stock wheels w/ Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps, and Azoto w/ QR seatpad. High quality and very functional, yet still quite inexpensive. Although it looks as though my decals may come off over time.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2K3 Saber, Ultegra, Azoto saddle, VT cockpit, Axial Pro Race

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cannondale caad3 w/ ultegra. rolf vector pro w/ michelin pro race clinchers. bullhorns w/ ultegra sti's and profile carbon stryke aeros. selle san marco aspide tri saddle. speedplay x2 stainless.

dislikes: can be uncomfortable on bad roads. not optimally aero but does well by me:)

geoff
Last edited by: trirn: Apr 26, 03 11:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It changes frequently but:

Colnago Dream/Dura-Ace.
Felt DA650/Dura-Ace.
Cannondale MS5000/Dura-Ace.
Yaqui Carbo/Dura-Ace.

Waiting for:
Cervelo Soloist Team.
Cervelo R2.5.
Cervelo P3.

All ordered in September '02.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek OCLV 5500 Ultegra, Rolf, Sella San Marco Rolls

Cervelo P2K, Ultegra, Alex wheel set, Serfas (with QR pad)

Bianchi no idea model or vintage, steel bike, fenders, 8 speed, downtube shifters.

Quote | Reply
litespeed, campagnolo...

http://www.angelfire.com/...55_rider/collect.htm

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kestrel Talon, with forward seat postion (wanted to get the Sl , but was going to take way to long, got in in Jan.)

Azoto aspide saddle, Syntace C2, bullhorns, syntace brake levers, brew brakes (super light!), sweet road cranks, (super light also!, Mark Allen road in 95 Hawaii), 54 DA ring, Speedplay X2 ti, DA 8sp,

Zipp disc, Corima 4 spoke front, TUfo tubulars....

and sometimes Giro Aerohead helmet, if its not too hot

Schumacher 1...(oon to be Raikkonen 1)
Quote Reply
Re: What are you riden, punk? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

My Soloist Team shipped on the 23rd...hope to see it this week, perhaps yours did as well?

Berti

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars, the rest I just squandered" -George Best
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek 1200, Shimano / Campy mix. However, they are tubulars - Bunnyman!!

Soon something else, perhaps a Softride (chosen in part due to the very favourable write ups ere on this site, and the fact I am going longer now)

Henk

Alex Jonker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race:
  • Merlin Ariel ti frame
  • Dura Ace components
  • Syntac bars
  • Hed CX Front; Renn Disk Rear
  • Reynolds Ouza Aero Pro fork
  • Deda Black Stick carbon seat post
  • Selle Italia SLR seat
  • Speedplay X-2 pedals

Training:
  • Schwinn Paramount (Serrotta built) ti frame
  • Dura Ace components
  • Speedplay X-2 pedals
  • Kestrel Cabon bars
  • Reynolds Ouza Pro fork
  • Deda Newton stem
  • Chris King headset
  • U.S.E. Alien seat post
  • Mavic Open Pro/Dura Ace hub wheels

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giant OCR-2, large. Bought new in Aug. '02. Made the following upgrades: Kestrel carbon fork, TruVativ 55 tooth crankset, Cane Creek wheels, 3T stem, 3T mini sub 8 shorty aerobars, Ultegra rear derailleur (just so's I could have something on there that says Ultegra!). Still has the Tiagra STI shifters and front derailleur. So it's a $750 bike that's now worth about twice that (and I got most of the upgrades on sale). I use Look-style pedals as well. For race day, I will use an old Mavic Cosmic front that I bought from the Bunnyman and a Renn disc. My disc hasn't arrived yet, though my new tubulars have (Continental Sprinters). My bike is a mix of components, but it works well for me. The frame is quite comfortable, and I really enjoy riding this bike. I hope to round out the rest of the bike with Ultegra before the season ends. I use an old purple Cannondale with downtube shifters on my trainer. I have no idea the model or year of this bike; it's a 7-speed Shimano 105/600 with big round tubes. Still rides well, though -- I've done a couple of rides out on the road with it just for kicks.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yet another road bike rider...

My race bike is a Klein Quantum Race with a Thomson no setback post, Azoto saddle, Syntace Stratos/C2/Space Controls, Ritchey WCS stem, other components are Ultegra/DA mix, Nimble Fly Front, Renn Disk, Tufo S3 rubber, and Look PP 396 pedals.
Last edited by: Pooks: Apr 26, 03 17:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hte general lee is a bright orange mongoose like the bp stealth. sometimes run it w spinergys. the only thing i dislike is it is set up a little heavy. other than that ridden it is more fun than eatin bugers. also got a giant tcr. nice bike but is a little wobbley on decents. oh yeah then there is the look. ridden her is like rockin on the front porch n a recliner. smooooth. oh yeah feels like a wet noodle when i pedal. use it as a commuter till i get rid of er.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kestrel KM40 with Dura Ace drivetrain, Cane Creek brakes (changing back to Dura Ace soon), Thomson seatpost, Terry Zero saddle, Chris King headset, Syntace cowhorns and aerobar, ITM stem, Speedplay, HED 3's, Michelin Axial Pro Race; built-up and custom-painted by John Cobb with my kids' names (my happy little inspirations) on each side of the top-tube in the same font and color as "Kestrel". Oh... and a silver/yellow (Once) Pneumo and silver/yellow Carnac's.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
61 cm 2002 Colnago Master x Light, Ultegra, Prolfile bars, Look pedals, Mavic Cosmic wheels w Vittoria Open Corsa Cx tires, Azoto Saddle

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek 5500 w/ Dura Ace

Cervelo P2K w/ Dura Ace and various wheels

Trek 2500 w/ Dura Ace (this bike is about to become the "slam" bike)

Soon to come, a steel bike,

Cervelo super prodigy once they start selling frame sets, or an older trek with reynold 531 tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in the words of rich strauss, i ride a bike "nobody has ever heard of". :)

main bike - curtlo custom ox platinum steel with sloping tt and radiused stays. built light and compliant - rides crazy sweet. looks a lot like a ghisallo. fillet brazed thru-out. DA shifting, brew brakes, SRP bolts, ritchey crank/stem, AC ti post, etc. roadie wheels - vary. profile jammer gt's for tri and call it done.

PC bike - rivendell all-rounder. 753 frame originally built at waterford, later crashed in half ( no helmet !! lived to tell the tale, believe it or not) and rebuilt to superfine lugged and filed perfection by the man responsible for saving masi. i ride it like a slut-bike, tho. built with PC's, and a hodge podge of old stuff - suntour, friction bar=ends, campy, old mt bike wheels of the freewheel era 6 or 7 speed, various cantilevers, whatever bar/post etc. parts bin build, even the chain is a castoff. weighs like 28 pounds and i dig it and ride it the most. tho superfine in quality and featuring a pink joe bell paintjob the bike looks ghastly weird by any modern standard and not only would no self respecting bike thief even consider stealing it but he wouldn't get very far with the PC's even if he did. even retirees on their giant comfort bikes and DUI guys on their wal-mart rust buckets think their bikes look sleeker - and i think they are right.
Quote Reply
Cheap as they come [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I guess I started this thread to try and prove to people newer to the sport, and myself included, that a lot of people ride a cheaper bike. I guess I was wrong. Thanks alot Tom (i'm just kidding) Oh well, just a note, don't be afraid of posting even if you aren't that proud of your ride. You are a Triathlete, brag a little.

The cheap ride Gopher

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap as they come [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm Hmm, where do you people get all that monies?

I got a new bike a few weeks back (i made a thread about it too):

Specialized Allez Comp 18, all stock except added Profile Jammer SL (I like to ride on the top at times). I got a pair of race wheels (Spinergy Xaero Lite) + A rear Nimble Crosswind I got on sale (400 dollaz because it was a showcase wheel from the beginning of 02).

My old bike (first bike actually) was:

2001 (or 2000, I can't seem to decide) Bianchi Lite Alloy (the red and yellow paint scheme), mounted with a cut (in order to make it draft legal) Profile Design Century + F-18 pads (this cut out thing took a pretty long time, so that's why I got the Jammer for my next bike). Bianchi kicks so much ass, but I really liked the zebra paint on the Specialized.

The bike is important, but the motor is more (points at big muscular legs =p). Having a great bike without the fitness to power it is like having a brand new car without gas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2001 Devinci silverstone, basically all 105, cinelli spancies (sp?) so its all draft legal. behind the seat water bottle holders, and Ritchey ORC Pro wheelset with michelin pro race tires and a sweet set of mavic ksyriums for racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo P3/Dura-Ace/Hed Aerobars/Speedplay Zero/Azoto/X-lab Disc or Spinergy Rev-X (yeah, a little retro - but they're solid wheels)

BTW, can only afford to eat Top Ramen nowadays! :)
Last edited by: audibles: Apr 27, 03 16:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri/TT bike: Corima Fox (named Smantha Fox) w/giant fork (1" carbon steerer), Dura Ace 9 rear mech, Tios auto shift system (eliminates the front mech), Sweet Wings crank/bb system, Profile UPS shifter, Pidasso aero bars, Nitto cowhorns, Campy carbon brake levers, Ultegra brakes, Cat Carbon Bikes carbon behind the saddle water bottle holder, Flite Evo carbon saddle, Rev X training wheels.

Road: GT Course 853 w/ Profile BRC fork (Monica), Dura Ace 9 down tube shifters, Ultegra rear mech, 105 front, Giant aero post, unremarkable parts. Ain't finished- having problems with Cane Creek headset.

Track/ fixed gear training: GT track (Christine), track and road gruppo comprised of mixed, used (but not unuseful) bits and bobs.

Race wheels: Lew Sydney front (470 grams!), Renn disc rear, Sun Mistral 19X19mm aero rim with 16 spokes windy day aero wheel, Zipp flip-flop hub for track, desperately need a race-quality tubular rear wheel for non-disc events!!!

Good: Samantha is a beast who only likes to go fast. If you are not going fast, she will humiliate you. She is simply the best bike I have ever ridden, including my old beloved Trek OCLV.

Bad: Cane Creek haedset is making me crazy. I can't get the thing adjusted properly and my mechanic friend and I have been scratching our heads. We can't figure it out. I know that the GT will be in the good column after the headset battle.

Another "bad": the Lew Sydney is a pain in the ass to true. I did find, that Nimble has the proper tool (provided that it was built using a REAL spoke nipple) that will fit the bloody tiny holes that the nipples are in.

Ugly: That bloody track bike can remind you in a not-so-subtle way that you have a very sorry pedal stroke. She has been the source of low-speed road rash this past winter. It has been aeons since I have ridden a track bike, and this bike has taught me a lot about pedal stroke.

One more "ugly": my 16 spoke Sun Mistral is hard to true. It can't be done, as the rim feels like it needs another spoke to pull the out-of trueness away. This is the limitation of low-profile, low spoke count wheels. Race day only, and it better be for a hilly TT or one where the deep section wheels would cause handling problems. Forget the Crits with a wheel like this.
Last edited by: bunnyman: Apr 27, 03 16:50
Quote Reply
Re: What are you riden, punk? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My road bike is a BP Stealth AL/carbon with a mix of ultegra and 105 parts.

TT bike #1 is a brand spanking new Softride TT7 with a mix of DA and ultegra parts, carbon cranks and my favorite 11yr old flite Ti saddle. It also does not quite fit so......

TT bike #2 will be a Omega Custom Cycleworks Krono TT frame w/a Look carbon fork, custom fitted, custom paint job and should be here in 2-3 weeks.

TT frame #3 a 9yr old Softride Qualifer which is being cleaned to be sold. Nicknamed Crotch Rocket. I'm gonna miss this one when its sold. BUT if anyone knows a not-for-profit youth cycling program I would love to donate it. It has an ult BB, profile fork, headset, stem, and front downtube shifter. If you know of a program send me an email so I may contact them.

Wheel for the bikes include a HED disc, Hed jet for the rear (wife's), my favorite race wheel ever, a rear HED Stinger 90, a zipp 440 front, my wife's zipp 404 front.

Since I have been gone for the better part of 6 weeks and injured, I'm looking forward to actually being home more or less, more hopefully, and riding my bikes.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next