Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What TT bikes are true Triathlon bikes
Quote | Reply
My understanding is bikes like Cervelo are designed to be able to run off. As is Canyon and Specialized.

However the Giant Trinity whilst a TT isn’t designed to run off.

What other brands are designed to run off?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: What TT bikes are true Triathlon bikes [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please explain how a bike is designed to be run off? I think you'll find that all those bikes besides the Specialized Shiv tri models meet the UCI 3:1 rule and are designed as time trial bikes. The Trinity geometry I am sure is very similar to all the other brands.
Quote Reply
Re: What TT bikes are true Triathlon bikes [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Please explain how a bike is designed to be run off? I think you'll find that all those bikes besides the Specialized Shiv tri models meet the UCI 3:1 rule and are designed as time trial bikes. The Trinity geometry I am sure is very similar to all the other brands.

I have read in the past that the giant TT bike isn’t actually designed with triathlon in mind.

Sure you can do a fast TT but running off sux.

Hoping the experts here can set me straight.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that you have lost your mind.
Quote Reply
Re: What TT bikes are true Triathlon bikes [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Seems your not an expert as well. Funny they go alright for Tim Berkel and Sam Appleton to name a few...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it comes down to seat angles. Older tt bikes had slack seat angles (73-76degrees). The original p2 and p3 allowed a steep seat angle 76-80 degrees.
These days geometry is more flexible so running off the bike is more about your personal geometry.
A true triathlon bike these days refers to non UCI legal designs like dimond, andean or P5x.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Seems your not an expert as well. Funny they go alright for Tim Berkel and Sam Appleton to name a few...

He used to work for a bike manufacturer and is just trolling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Do they? How many Ironman’s have either won?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Well... Sam Appleton has won like 10 70.3's. Van Berkel has won several 70.3's and I think an Ironman regional championship soooo....

What are you getting at? Just come out with it.

People used to say (what like 10-15 years ago?) that tri bikes were designed to use different muscles and help you run better but it was really just a misunderstanding of how UCI rules limited saddle position to something that would not be ideal if that rule didn't exist. But UCI legal TT bikes do allow for those saddle positions. The bike itself is not a limiter. And at any rate I don't think a too-slack seat tube angle necessarily makes you run slower off the bike.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: What TT bikes are true Triathlon bikes [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My point is the giant isn’t designed to run off. It’s designed to ride fast.

And my question still is, what TT bikes are more suitable to run off than others?

And finally, maybe Sam and Tim have never run Ironman’s because their bike position effects their run times and hence why they can’t win Ironman’s. Even cherrypicked races can’t be won by them.

Despite all that. I’m more interested in point 2 rather than getting into Sam and Tim.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, so what exactly is it about the giant's design that makes it bad to run off of?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Yeah I see you point. Obviously would have won so much more had they ridden a triathlon bike. I'll send them the memo...

https://www.timberkel.com/results/

https://samappleton.com/results/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

And my question still is, what TT bikes are more suitable to run off than others?

And finally, maybe Sam and Tim have never run Ironman’s because their bike position effects their run times and hence why they can’t win Ironman’s. Even cherrypicked races can’t be won by them.

Despite all that. I’m more interested in point 2 rather than getting into Sam and Tim.

Did you make a bike fit ?

What pad stack / reach are you looking for ?
What saddle position are you looking for ? Some tri athlete go very steep, some other don't

Regarding bikes :
most bikes will accommodate the seat position you are looking for (whatever height, angle)
some bikes will accommodate your pad reach / stack, and the others can accommodate for other peoples (because.... peoples are different... what a surprise)

The way you adjust your position and the way you train will have much more importance than the brand on the bike frame.

Consider your objectives, your physical constraints, your position preference, then choose a bike accordingly.

The real question is : "what is the right position FOR ME to run after bike ?".
This is personal..... leading to... "bike fit".... especially as you are apparently not an expert.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Ok, so what exactly is it about the giant's design that makes it bad to run off of?

x2...i have never heard of any real tri bike or tt bike being 'hard to run off'. Position maybe, but not the bike itself
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are batshit crazy

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: What TT bikes are true Triathlon bikes [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate your patient, kind, thorough answer. Not sure if the OP was trolling, but you answered him very well.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The seat’s too high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ludicrous. Can you produce any valid documentation that states your point?

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I, for one, completely agree with the OP. I must keep buying TT bikes, because I can never run well after riding them.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

What characteristics of the bike make you believe this ? Seat angle ? Reach? Stack ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

The issue here is that your point of contention isn't really based on any clear argument, is it?

The only argument I have ever hear about TT bikes and running was based on slack (73-74deg) seat tube angle. Slowman was the first (or one of the first) people to integrate a steeper (77-80deg) seat tube angle in his bikes using the claim that steeper angles would reduce hip angle, recruit different muscle groups, and as a result, reduce fatigue on the run.

Given the difference in angle, some TT bikes have been considered to be more or less of a trip specific bike. But having a look at the Giant Trinity, the seat angle is 77deg and in the range of what the industry would call a steep angle that is good for running off the bike. Older Trinity bikes had a variable seat angle (75-78deg) and perhaps the idea that it could be set up 'slack' led to the belief that they weren't designed to be run off.

So, to answer your question. Seat angle has been historically associated with suitability for running. look for TT bikes with >77deg seat tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

So how about you just put your name in your signature so we can check your shit for you shit opinion?

All bikes are designed to ride fast, or that's the hope. You can't really design them to be able run off them. Saying your bike is designed to be run off vs another is just some snake oil.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: What TT bikes are true Triathlon bikes [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I, for one, completely agree with the OP. I must keep buying TT bikes, because I can never run well after riding them.

My problem is that I can’t ride well after swimming. Someone once suggested I actually needed to train for the swim. I didn’t like that idea and concluded the problem was definitely the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: What TT bikes are true Triathlon bikes [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

My problem is that I can’t ride well after swimming. Someone once suggested I actually needed to train for the swim. I didn’t like that idea and concluded the problem was definitely the bike.

I would agree, there is a serious lack of innovation in “off the swim” bike design.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds like the opening to an infomercial.

"Hi, Anthony Sullivan here for TriBikeSLX! Are you tired of racing triathlons on bikes you can't run off? Do you find yourself doing the "Ironman shuffle" no matter how hard you train? Are your run splits just not improving the way you think they should? The problem is existing bikes weren't designed to run off! But I've got good news. The TriBikeSLX is the first bike designed to keep your legs fresh so you can run like that German bloke. How much would you expect to pay for the TriBikeSLX? Fifteen thousand dollars? Twenty thousand dollars? No, this amazing triathlon racing bicycle can be yours for only five easy payments of two thousand dollars! And that's not all. Order now and get two tires and a bottle of our ChainLubeSLX, absolutely free! Call now!"

You'll have to imagine the sad B&W footage and happy, well-lit color footage.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next