Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by AngeloCf96
Re: What Intervalls should i train [AngeloCf96] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AngeloCf96 wrote:
Hello Triathletes,

I am a big fan of your Sport, first an for all and plan on doing Triathlon in the near future.

Atm I have to train for a Crossfit Competition
(please dont hate on me)

It is in November and it goes something like this

1km run
1km row
1km run
100 Burpees
1km run
32 kg Farmers Carry
etc..

Point is, there are 8 km running in this and 8 crossfit type movements. The whole time will be around 80 -90 Minutes.

Now my Question, since I believe, that Triathletes are way more competent about endurance than crossfitters.

How can I train to run the 1km faster, but not tire out in the end of the event?

Should I go for 1km repeats?
Long runs (80 -90 Minutes)?
200m repeats?

All of the avove?

Thank you very much and sorry for my bad english. (I am from Germany)

Have a nice day and thanks for the help

You probably do enough intervals through Crossfit.

For swimming you could do short intervals 25-100m to keep/develop your swim stroke the right way. Make certain that you get sufficient rest on the interval so you are not failing and flailing.

For cycling, unless you are doing a draft legal triathlon, you probably don't need to do intervals.

Same for running. You need to develop your slow twitch muscles and endurance for a triathlon.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by AngeloCf96 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much do you run a week. How often do you do a 30km run? What pace do you do that 30k run at?

Eta: also, how long do you expect to take to complete the entire even?

How fast do you run the 1km now?
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Feb 21, 19 5:54
Quote Reply
Last edited by: AngeloCf96: Feb 21, 19 6:09
Quote | Reply
AngeloCf96 wrote:
Hello, for 30k I need about 2hours.
I finished the event last year in 1:38.
My Goal is to go sub 1:25.

My Splits for the running in the event where for the first 4 x 1 km around 5min and the last 4 around 5-6min.

If I could just cut doqn every lap by 30 seconds and do a little bit better on the srenght part, I feel like my goal is do able.

Took 8th place Last year, wanna shoot for top 5 this year

I should say, that my splits are faster in training, but its really a different story if you have to do Burpees and then run 1k.
Or doing Farmers Carry and then run 1k.

Ok. Still need to know how much you run every week right now. How many days a week and how many kms each day, and how many kms total per week.

My general feeling is that you really just need to run "more" to build up the endurance to be able to complete the event. You aren't running all that fast, and you really only need to run a litle bit faster, or even just slow down less. So, you aren't trying to run at 200m speed.

So, unless you are already running a "lot", that's really the way I would lean.

Exactly how much more depends on your schedule and available time, current run training / fitness, etc, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the total distance that you run each week?
Quote Reply
Re: What Intervalls should i train [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
around 50km
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guten tag... and that's all I can remember from 3 years in high school German class.

But to your question, forget about any aerobic work. Focus on match burning type workouts.
Consider examples like:
Running 3 sets of 5 intervals
Each interval is 20 to 30 seconds all out
40 seconds recovery between each interval
3 minute recovery between sets
Recovery could be walking or jogging.

I also developed a workout with strength and running - love it, but it hurts!
https://drive.google.com/...XB0/view?usp=sharing

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AngeloCf96 wrote:
Hey, thanks for the reply.

I dont really have a big problem with endurance, I can go for 30+km runs.
Thats not an Issue.
The Issue is, running 1km fast for multiple times.

I already do a lot of strenght training trough crossfit.
I thought that Intervall runs might increase my speed.
But I guess no?
Should I just focus on long runs?

I've posted ad nauseam here about my disdain for long slow crap. I have nearly a decade of n=1 Garmin data that continues to affirm that for all of my run distances (up to 10k), short and very intense intervals (1min to 6min, maximum effort) are the only way that I'll improve. Every time (for both bike and run) that I inadvertently get sucked back into focusing on time spent or miles accomplished, my performance plummets. It's infuriating.

Caveat: please don't listen to a single word I have to say about this, because it appears to be my experience alone. I'll say it again anyway though: long and slow is utterly worthless for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AngeloCf96 wrote:
Hey, thanks for the reply.

I dont really have a big problem with endurance, I can go for 30+km runs.
Thats not an Issue.
The Issue is, running 1km fast for multiple times.

I already do a lot of strenght training trough crossfit.
I thought that Intervall runs might increase my speed.
But I guess no?
Should I just focus on long runs?

Yes. Focus on long. Long runs, long swims and long bikes. Going long helps your speed too.

After you are "comfortable" with long you will also be more comfortable with going faster over a shorter distance.

You are getting plenty of the interval and strength training with Crossfit.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: What Intervalls should i train [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thnks for your input, but everyone says different stuff đŸ˜‚
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be going anaerobic the entire time.
Training high intensity max short intervals with small rest periods will get your system primed to be most effective when you are redlining.

You could also throw a threshold day in starting 3 minutes or so max out runs.
4 sets
1 interval = 3 min all out + 1.5 min recover

Slowly go up to 3 or so sets at 10 minutes with 3 min recovery.

Make sure you recover the next day. Don't cram days on end doing high end stuff.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: What Intervalls should i train [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
Guten tag... and that's all I can remember from 3 years in high school German class.

But to your question, forget about any aerobic work. Focus on match burning type workouts.
Consider examples like:
Running 3 sets of 5 intervals
Each interval is 20 to 30 seconds all out
40 seconds recovery between each interval
3 minute recovery between sets
Recovery could be walking or jogging.

I also developed a workout with strength and running - love it, but it hurts!
https://drive.google.com/...XB0/view?usp=sharing

I mostly agree with this, insofar as I would definitely not be doing any uninterrupted, static repetitions longer than about 3 to 5 minutes in duration. As I understand it, your event is basically one series of a bunch of relatively short intervals, no? So for the traditional endurance types of disciplines (swimming, running, rowing), the intervals I would do would be between 10 and 50% of the required distance (or projected duration) of each discipline. So if your event requires you to run 1k five times, I'd be doing a lot of 200m to 500m work. Get a solid, progressively-increasing warmup, then be ready to blast.

One (extremely important) word of caution though: make your running changes relatively slowly. For instance, if you're currently running mostly sustained efforts of ~20min, don't start next week by running exclusively 1min sprints. I don't have a specific temporal prescription for introducing high intensity running, but it should likely be done over several months. The skeleton is quite slow to acclimate and rapid changes force and gait are guaranteed to give you tibial or metatarsal stress fractures. I'm currently living that reality at this very moment.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AngeloCf96 wrote:
Hey, thank you very much for the answer.
I like your thoughts on this, but why should it be just sprints? If i have to run 8 x 1 Km and the whole Workout will be around 90 Minutes long?

Just curious, what do you anticipate the range of durations of each individual segment to be? Mostly less than 5min? In that case, I think 2 to 3 min VO2 max style repetitions would pay high dividends.

Quote Reply
Re: What Intervalls should i train [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This makes so much sense to me.
I will imcorperate this now in my training.

My Plan now goes as follows.:
3 x a Week Strenght Training
2 x a Week Intervall Running
1 x Week a long run.

I just want to add a long run, because my heart rate will be elevated for around 90minutes, so it mifht not be a bad Idea to train that way, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,
if you run 50km per week thats already a massive volume. If I understood it correctly though you run very similar paces for all your runs. This will most likely not bring much more benefit.
For an event that lasts 1.5h you need a good aerobic base, regardless of how long each interval is. Your long run should therefore be really easy and aerobic. If you start at 4.50/km during your race I would suggest your long run should be more in the 5.40/km range.
Run a 5k test run and plug your results into the Jack Daniels running calculator - at least for me, it is a very good approximation of efficient training paces.
For your long run you should also monitor your heart rate and pace. If you can run faster at the same heart rate you have a good feedback that you improve. When I slowed my long runs down I would go from a 5.20/km at 140 bpm to 4.45/km at 140 bpm without changing much else.

take care
Uli
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AngeloCf96 wrote:
This makes so much sense to me.
I will imcorperate this now in my training.

My Plan now goes as follows.:
3 x a Week Strenght Training
2 x a Week Intervall Running
1 x Week a long run.

I just want to add a long run, because my heart rate will be elevated for around 90minutes, so it mifht not be a bad Idea to train that way, right?

You could. It's not going to hurt anything, but I think (relative to the nature of your event) a long, steady-effort session is ultimately going to be pretty low-value. I would be interested to see a heart rate profile from one of your events. My guess would be that it fluctuates pretty widely. You could possibly vary your speed in ~5min increments to simulate that and gain some specificity.

In my view, the biggest reason that a long duration single-discipline (e.g., a long run or bike) training session won't be very useful is because the massive shifts in blood flow that are inherent to your interval-style competition. Triathlon has two, and we all recognize that it's a tremendous challenge to immediately shift from swimming (particularly when it's high output like <1500m) into sprinting to your bike. I nearly passed out once. So something that may be beneficial for you during this long session would be to build in the other disciplines into your long run (or bike, which should be equally good). Run for a while, then do a set of rows; resume running for a while, then do burpees. What do you think about that?

Edit: I just want to add that I've found tremendous value in maximal effort, 1 mile repeats. Heart rate should approach or exceed ~95% maximal, so you're cultivating VO2 max, but it's also long enough in duration to force you to deal with really high concentrations of metabolites for an extended period which really improves the percent of VO2 max that you can operate at. If I had to choose a single run workout for any race distance, it would be 1-mile repeats. I'm sure that the bulk of the members on this forum completely disagree with me though.

Last edited by: domingjm: Feb 23, 19 17:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanted to pass on two pieces of information to you. They might not be completely relevant to your competition, but you should check them out anyway. The video represents very much how I approach the training season and is consistent with what has worked very well for me, historically. When I inadvertently lose focus on intensity and quality of effort and begin to focus on total time spent and miles accomplished, my performance rapidly declines. If you're pressed for time, just listen to the segments at 9:30 and 34:10. Just some background: Lionel's training methods, as described here, are very different from the typical long-distance triathlete. The second is a brief explanation for why some people might respond better to intensity and others to duration. Best of luck.

https://www.alancouzens.com/...l_int_responder.html

Quote Reply