Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What I learned from the Elites at the Bmore Marathon
Quote | Reply
Today I was "that guy" who rides next to the first male in the Baltimore Marathon and relays splits and breaks back to the RD.

2 things I observed:

- at one point near the end, one guy was grabbing gatorade, pouring it on his other hand, and liking just a bit of it off his fingers. Genius. Get the sugar, don't get sloshy.

- it doesn't matter where your foot strikes. I watched a pack of these guys run for miles. I assume, because they are fit and racing at this level, that they don't get injured too often. Heel, mid, fore foot strikers were all there in the mix. However, they all, no matter where their foot hit, landed with their lower leg almost perfectly perpendicular to the ground.

Good stuff to watch. Absolutely amazing watching these guys lay it down on a REALLY windy day.
Quote Reply
Re: What I learned from the Elites at the Bmore Marathon [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
it doesn't matter where your foot strikes. I watched a pack of these guys run for miles. I assume, because they are fit and racing at this level, that they don't get injured too often. Heel, mid, fore foot strikers were all there in the mix. However, they all, no matter where their foot hit, landed with their lower leg almost perfectly perpendicular to the ground.

This. Tibia angle is way more important than footstrike!

Being lead biker at races is fun. I've only gotten to do it once at a local tri, but this makes me want to volunteer for the upcoming marathon in Raleigh. How'd you sign up?

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: What I learned from the Elites at the Bmore Marathon [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it is an absolute blast! The bike team I ride for does it every year for the bmore race. Not sure how it is usually done.
Quote Reply
Re: What I learned from the Elites at the Bmore Marathon [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
This. Tibia angle is way more important than footstrike!

Sooooo... What shoes do I need to buy in order to allow/facilitate/force my stride into landing at this angle?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What no compression gear report???

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: What I learned from the Elites at the Bmore Marathon [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big shocker:

None of the leaders were wearing compression

*gasp*
Quote Reply
Re: What I learned from the Elites at the Bmore Marathon [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Sooooo... What shoes do I need to buy in order to allow/facilitate/force my stride into landing at this angle?

If this was sarcasm, well done sir.

If not, here's a non-sarcastic answer (just in case): To relegate the task of changing tibia angle to the shoes would be inappropriate. Tibia angle is dependent on a couple of things...torso angle, leg muscle flexibility, stride length, etc. When you run, muscular flexibility, joint mobility and balance issues place constraints on exactly how your body can move. For instance, leaning backward from the hips when you run (or even running completely upright) is a surefire way of sabotaging your tibia angle. Lean forward, and you'll improve your tibia angle...

Even a shoe built like a girl's high-heel won't necessarily tilt one's tibia forward. Girls can still stand upright in high heels, but they can't run in them, so there are obvious limitations to this analogy, but my point here is that even in an extreme example of shoe influence on gait, the body's ability to compensate to balance and stand upright trumps the shoe's ability to promote change in posture, etc.

I'm definitely not an expert, just making observations...

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cool about the gatorade.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply