Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What's your favorite "vice" food? I'll eat it for race weight! [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the tentative schedule:
  • 78-77kg: burgers
  • 77-76kg: pizza
  • 76-75kg: milkshakes / ice cream
  • 75-74kg: beer
  • 74-73kg: pancakes, donuts and cake

The one caveat to the schedule above, is that I have a ski trip planned at the end of March. I think beer is going to be the easiest to fit in with that, since I don’t have to work, or drive anywhere. So I may well adjust that, depending on how the progress goes.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "vice" food? I'll eat it for race weight! [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that you have mentioned on your blog that you own your metabolic cart. If so ot would be cool if you did some ramp tests showing showing your RER at a range of wattage and/or running speed. You could do a baseline now off of your normal diet and then a test at the end of the experiment. If you're willing, test at the concclusion of each cheat food. It would definitely be interesting to see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Double Double.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "vice" food? I'll eat it for race weight! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Girl Scout cookie time...a box of Thin Mints and a box of Samoas since yesterday at 4:00 since the little sugar pushers showed up at my door and caught me at a weak time right after running! I'm afraid to even go into the bathroom and see the scale...Why????????????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
goregrind wrote:
those diets arent bs, especially paleo or Mediterranean, they basically say eat a ton of vegetables, a lot of fruit, and some nuts and meat. Please tell me how that is BS?

I didn't say the diets are BS. The BS is that people think "going on a diet" is the way to health and happiness. They obsess about the rules these diets have (eat this, don't eat that, eat at this time etc.), thinking that is the way to lose weight. Trust me I could easily get overweight by eating Paleo and Med.

But now that you mention it, Paleo BS: grains are bad, legumes are bad, carbs are bad. Paleo is like a religion and it's cross-fitting followers are obsessed with the rules. Don't get me wrong, the general idea of Paleo is good but people need to feel like it's ok to break the rules and they will be just fine. My normal diet is pretty close to Paleo but I have not been inducted into the church. I live in Boulder and half the population lives gluten free despite not having the slightest trace of celiac disease. Gluten is awesome and gives me power. The Paleo church expelled me due to my gluten habits.

goregrind wrote:
why do you think 75% of people in u.s are overweight?

because they are lazy and eat too much

oh really, there is this huge group of paleo people you know in real life and hung out with and they actually told you to go away because they saw you eat bread? yeah we believe that, basically you saw some comments in an internet forum from someone who is paleo or gluten free you didnt like and your whole perception of paleo is based on that, plus your jealous of their willpower so you handle it by trying to troll anyone that cares about their health with this amazing experiment where you arent going to gain weight training of an ironman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deep fried Mars bars
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe no one mentioned Peanut M&M's. They are my kryptonite.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "vice" food? I'll eat it for race weight! [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoffmeister wrote:
Deep fried Mars bars

WHAT???? I had to google that... looks pretty amazing but there is a severe shortage of mars bars in the USA and I have no deep fryer. Do you make these yourself or is there somewhere you can get them served up?

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "vice" food? I'll eat it for race weight! [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
and peanut butter M&M's - I'm going to have to work these in somehow. Maybe as a topping to the milkshakes

Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "vice" food? I'll eat it for race weight! [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
First off, the point has been made before. ("Twinkie Diet" wasn't it?) Portion control, we get it.

Second, how's the nutritional value of that junk you're eating? I'm not exactly one to count macro- or micro-nutrients, but all that processed food is crap, at best.

Lastly, hunger isn't much fun, so while it's true that the math doesn't change, why fault people for looking for ways to make it less painful?

... because of this calories in calories out being proven already (ref http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...kie-di_b_782678.html ) we want this....

kbd wrote:
I believe that you have mentioned on your blog that you own your metabolic cart. If so ot would be cool if you did some ramp tests showing showing your RER at a range of wattage and/or running speed. You could do a baseline now off of your normal diet and then a test at the end of the experiment. If you're willing, test at the concclusion of each cheat food. It would definitely be interesting to see.

in addition maybe show us maybe you can gain real muscle mass instead of focus on body weight, and how your performance is effected for high energy events like olympic tri, 5k etc, instead of long shuffle jog finisher events.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "vice" food? I'll eat it for race weight! [goregrind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goregrind wrote:
plus your jealous of their willpower so you handle it by trying to troll anyone that cares about their health with this amazing experiment where you arent going to gain weight training of an ironman

Rob will have to show some serious willpower to limit his daily meals with what he's eating! I bet he experiences some serious cravings for salty and sugary stuff between his meals. I predict he will feel no jealousy.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "vice" food? I'll eat it for race weight! [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
in addition maybe show us maybe you can gain real muscle mass instead of focus on body weight
I don't think I'll be gaining muscle. Hopefully maintaining overall, maybe losing some upper body muscle which I'm ok with. I use a withings scale which does measure body fat. It's affected a bit by hydration status, but if we take the starting and ending readings over a few days we'll get an approximate idea of muscle retention. My withings scale with the way it's set up tracks within about 1% of a hydrostatic test for me.

synthetic wrote:
and how your performance is effected for high energy events like olympic tri, 5k etc, instead of long shuffle jog finisher events.
Ouch!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
synthetic wrote:
in addition maybe show us maybe you can gain real muscle mass instead of focus on body weight

I don't think I'll be gaining muscle. Hopefully maintaining overall, maybe losing some upper body muscle which I'm ok with. I use a withings scale which does measure body fat. It's affected a bit by hydration status, but if we take the starting and ending readings over a few days we'll get an approximate idea of muscle retention. My withings scale with the way it's set up tracks within about 1% of a hydrostatic test for me.

well the important thing is how much useful muscle you have . watts/kg is a good ratio predictor of that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
mwanner1 wrote:
and peanut butter M&M's - I'm going to have to work these in somehow. Maybe as a topping to the milkshakes

That sounds delicious! Go for it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
just eat less!!!

And move more!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chicken parm pizza!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
Hoffmeister wrote:
Deep fried Mars bars

WHAT???? I had to google that... looks pretty amazing but there is a severe shortage of mars bars in the USA and I have no deep fryer. Do you make these yourself or is there somewhere you can get them served up?

I admit I have never tried them, but you can get them in Scottish Fish & Chip shops.

I had no idea that Mars bars aren't being sold in the USA, they are pretty much everywhere in the UK. Apparently they are called Snickers Almond in the USA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
I don't expect many blood sugar spikes during the burger phase, but of course during the milkshake and donut phases this will be inevitable... mmm donuts

Nice. Periodisation. Looking forward to seeing what's going to go down during your race phase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obviously it's possible to lose weight eating anything if you're sufficiently disciplined about calories, though easier with some foods than others. But aren't you also concerned about your athletic performance and general health? Is the hypothesis that only calories matter and the macro and micro nutrient composition of your food is irrelevant? That's a pretty radical hypothesis! I feel like I'm missing the point of this exercise.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "vice" food? I'll eat it for race weight! [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
Is the hypothesis that only calories matter and the macro and micro nutrient composition of your food is irrelevant? That's a pretty radical hypothesis!

Not irrelevant, just that many people ignore calories and only focus on macro + micro nutrients. For weight loss, calories are much more important than micros, macros, timing etc. And there is an entire industry exploiting people in order to try and sell them a program / supplements etc. for weight loss.

Many athletes are truly afraid to eat the things in my list, and I would love it if they felt a bit more relaxed about things.

To answer your question about whether I am concerned about my athletic performance and general health, my answer varies by phase:

Burgers: no
Pizza: no
Beer: yes, pretty concerned!
Milkshakes/ice cream: no
Donuts and cakes: yes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok here is day 1 burger dinner. Bacon Cheeseburger from Five Guys (first time I've been there, pretty good!), home made chicken burger with mayo, butter and avocado, 2 glasses of red wine, curly fries and sweet potato fries. I needed to get in a few extra calories after this so I ate 2 x salted caramel ice cream sticks (only 100 calories each).
I have to admit I could have eaten a bit less, I was pretty full after this. About 2000 calories at dinner, 2700 total for the day.

Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "vice" food? I'll eat it for race weight! [trihard1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trihard1980 wrote:
robgray wrote:
I don't expect many blood sugar spikes during the burger phase, but of course during the milkshake and donut phases this will be inevitable... mmm donuts

Nice. Periodisation. Looking forward to seeing what's going to go down during your race phase.

I can't imagine this will go well for his race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
Here is the tentative schedule:
  • 78-77kg: burgers
  • 77-76kg: pizza
  • 76-75kg: milkshakes / ice cream
  • 75-74kg: beer
  • 74-73kg: pancakes, donuts and cake

The one caveat to the schedule above, is that I have a ski trip planned at the end of March. I think beer is going to be the easiest to fit in with that, since I don’t have to work, or drive anywhere. So I may well adjust that, depending on how the progress goes.

All of this is just lame ass excuse for being weak. First of all, the Ultraman Hawaii guys are debating revoking your Ultramanhoodcard on account of not manning up and including the Macca appoved cabbage and water plan (you do realize that cows get fat eating nothing but grass.....so you're really avoiding the cabbage cause you don't want to turn into the size of a small cow)!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "vice" food? I'll eat it for race weight! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
All of this is just lame ass excuse for being weak. First of all, the Ultraman Hawaii guys are debating revoking your Ultramanhoodcard on account of not manning up and including the Macca appoved cabbage and water plan (you do realize that cows get fat eating nothing but grass.....so you're really avoiding the cabbage cause you don't want to turn into the size of a small cow)!!!!

maybe I will include the cabbage for going sub 70kg, with a treat allowance of sauerkraut

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

maybe I will include the cabbage for going sub 70kg, with a treat allowance of sauerkraut

Don't fall for the cabbage and water plan. It was Macca's grand ploy to make everyone else fat, while secretly getting lean on ice cream, chocolate, burgers, fries, beer and pop. Just look at all those cows at your local Colorado ranch...all fat eating greens only (then again, they don't move much)!!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next