Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What's your best piece of IM advice for negative self-talk? [Boyt959] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all I can relate, but like most of the posts above this one, just try and have a positive mindset through seeing the positives. I always write a + on my right hand and a - on my left one with a black marker. With this (particularly on the bike) I categorize all my thoughts and when a negative one comes around, I throw it in the '- trashcan' and lose the thought. I'll be looking at the + alot at some points and just smile and enjoy. May sound weird but it works (for me). Currently researching something similar as i'm a sportpsychology student. Besides that I've got the mantra running through my head saying 'focus + relaxation = performance', which makes me worry less and focus on the plan.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your best piece of IM advice for negative self-talk? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
One of the things I admire most about athletes that are successful at the IM distance is that they are really, really good at convincing themselves that feeling bad or shitty doesn't really matter and that they'll pull through it and come out the other side.

Historically, I'm not good at that. It's a big reason I haven't been particularly "successful" at that distance. When things start to go poorly or slide backwards a bit (which they inevitably do in a long day) I am good at letting those thoughts/feelings build and not coming back from that. Mentally weak, I am.

When you feel those things, what do you tell yourself? How do you come out of the metaphorical "valley?"

content and hopeful, content and hopeful, content and hopeful, content and hopeful...

Or, measure the process, not the results. Your time will be what your time will be. Stay in your little box... observe orient decide act.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: What's your best piece of IM advice for negative self-talk? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Things that have worked for me:

1. I tell myself everybody goes through bad patches, and it's probably depletion related. When I start to have negative thoughts, I load up on fluids/calories and focus on getting as much in at each aid station while still moving forward. Typically that'll get me out of the lull in a few miles.

2. Having process oriented goals vs. time/placement/achievement goals, i.e. I want to leave everything I have on the day out there vs I'm going to run 3:xx.

3. I also tell myself the fastest way of getting through the pain and getting it done is by running as hard as you can.

4. I always had problems when I'd hit at bad patch between mile 10-16 because there's still such a long ways to run. It's cliche, but staying in the moment and worrying about the next lampost, aid station, mile, etc. allowed me not to focus on I'm still going to be our here for hour(s) and just getting through it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staying in the moment is important for me. Thinking about the hours ahead can crush the soul. Repeating “right here, right now” helps me, while doing an inventory of everything from my breathing to my form in that moment.

I also benefit from the mantra “you will never be here again” to maintain a mindset that makes the most of the opportunity.

Last but not least, I’ll (mentally) dedicate the next x minutes/km/mile to someone I love, telling myself you can’t let that person down by quitting on their interval. With that tactic, a few loved ones in your life can carry you through something like the last hour of the run.
Last edited by: GreatScott: Nov 20, 19 9:19
Quote Reply
Re: What's your best piece of IM advice for negative self-talk? [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
Embrace the negativity.

I berate myself 🤣. Tell yourself to quit being such a **** **** ********* ***********

If you do this out loud, just make sure there are no children present.

Bonus tip: if you actually say, "bleeping bleep bleep bleeper", little kids think it's really funny.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your best piece of IM advice for negative self-talk? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Staying in the moment is important for me. Thinking about the hours ahead can crush the soul. Repeating “right here, right now” helps me, while doing an inventory of everything from my breathing to my form in that moment.

I also benefit from the mantra “you will never be here again” to maintain a mindset that makes the most of the opportunity.

Last but not least, I’ll (mentally) dedicate the next x minutes/km/mile to someone I love, telling myself you can’t let that person down by quitting on their interval. With that tactic, a few loved ones in your life can carry you through something like the last hour of the run.

I definitely use this the most. Staying present and honing in on your forward progress, not how bad everything hurts, is tremendously helpful. A calm, quiet mind will help you much more than one that's anxious and only thinking about what's ahead.

Dominic Pollizzi

Quote Reply
Re: What's your best piece of IM advice for negative self-talk? [zestypollizzi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I try repeating a phrase over and over or start counting to four and time it with my pedal stroke or my run cadence. If I really focus on it I can get into a zone and at least temporarily break the negative thought cycle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Make a list of the negative statements that you say to yourself.
2) Develop a short list of positive self-talk statements to replace the negative ones and practice them regularly (particularly during tough workouts).
3) Do this during races. It will feel contrived at first but become more natural as you do it.
4) Do this in other aspects of your life. While I don't know you, I'd guess the neg self-talk isn't limited to racing (which is true for most people)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Sufferfest's Mental Training program has been a great help to me in terms of getting rid of negative self talk, increasing self belief, and just plain old gutting it out to the finish. I'm convinced that a good portion of my gains the last 2 years has simply been upping my mental game.

My favourite trick is that I make a deal with myself - when the pain comes in any race, I tell myself that I can slow down but I can't stop and walk. Usually that does the trick - all I need is the option to slow down should I so choose, or near the end, a half minute at a slightly slower pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the best with that.

When I have been having a bad day at the IM distance (I assume we are talking 140.6)
I have a simple thought...if you don't finish,
you don't get the hat.

I've gotten two hats that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something I tell all my athletes before IRONMAN races or ultra-marathons "fake it till you make it"
Especially in IRONMAN races, there are so many fans out there partying or dancing or playing music, embrace that and pretend to be having an awesome time even if you aren't.
However crappy you feel, if you high five the kid on the side of the road who is amazed by what you are doing you will feel better... and make that kids day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several things

It's your own stupid fault for entering nobody else's.

Its cost good money to be here.

Being miserable won't make me faster ir get it done quicker.

And everyone else around is hurting too and they're mot whinging like a biatch.

I do also do genuinely remind myself particularly on the swim and bike that even when it's pishing down and blowing a gale (as my last long rave was) that I'm out in lovely countryside with people out to support me all day riding a bike on a Sunday and I'm not in office or having to go shopping or cleaning the bathroom or what ever. So why wouldn't I enjoy it ?

And never forgetting the fact that I'm capable of doing this when so many in the world would never have the chance and many others are incapable.

There's guys and gals out there with missing arms and legs doing stuff. Or wishing they could. I've got it easy by comparison. So suck it up and get on with it.

As someone already said I dont want to regret bailing out, when in the years ahead and it's time to get in a wooden box in the ground..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"My feet are bleeding but my new Next % wash up nice"

"Its only 102 degrees but at least is not 104 like IM Chattanooga"

"I spent $15,000 on my new bike and saved 2 watts!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you know you are going to fork it up then you will fork it up. (Regardless of the self talk you got going on.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before I did IMFL in '05 I read an article about doing the OODA loop that I have used since but probably have morphed into my own version versus the original but this is how I remember it. Observe, Orient, Decide, Act. When things have gone really south at times I:

Observe what is going on in the moment (sick, energy low, tired, etc.)

Orient what options are available (pace, upcoming aid station, nutrition available, etc.)

Decide what to do and give your self a next milestone to check in (15 minutes, next aid station, etc.)

Act on it

Looks like you are doing IMAZ this weekend so have a great race.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
When you feel those things, what do you tell yourself? How do you come out of the metaphorical "valley?"

I think there are two things to consider when taking a long journey or race or training session.

The first thing is to consider what you can do in the moment. It could be just breathe/relax. The second is to focus on the next step. Don't think 20 steps ahead, but focus on the next step.

In SEAL training, many people get through Hell Week by just focusing on making it to the next meal. That's kind of how I am on aid stations in races. I just focus on making it to the next aid station. I hit nearly all of the aid stations and this is enough for me to get by to the finish line.

This summer, I raced my first 140.6. I opened my eyes in bed and thought - damn, I don't even want to get up. I thought, 'how am I going to get through a whole 140.6, I don't feel like doing shit or moving'. So what was the next step for me? I took a 5hr energy as planned and focused on just getting into the shower. I felt better under the hot water and began to formulate a plan for the race and to visualize important moments. My plan for the day in my mind. Visualization is very important. If you already do it in your head, when you race or train, you've already been there before in your mind. Prepare yourself.

So make it to the next step. I had my wetsuit on before the race and just thought - well just make it to the start line. I made it to the start line. In the cold in the morning, I had negative thoughts. Like, I don't want to do this anymore. Then, just thought - make it through the start and then settle in on the swim. Then, on the swim I began to visualize what I was going to do on my T1 and so forth. Visualization and breaking each component down step by step is the best way that I get by in races. Once you've gotten race experience, a lot of this stuff will be just cruise control. But, if any anxiety is encountered, ask yourself: 'what am I doing now and what is my next step.' It could be just getting dressed. But to go from A to Z, each step must be accomplished. Focus on each little block of progress and before you know it the race is over and it was all a blur.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would just remember that no matter what your wife will probably still be the fastest IM athlete in the house.
That removes any performance pressure on the race course.

Other than that just keep thinking forward 30 minutes to mile 24 of the run and plan everything around that. If something goes sideways that may help you realize you've got a lot of time to regroup and maake plans. Unless of course it's mile 24. At that point you can smell the barn and make it in

Have a great race, looking forward to seeing how it goes for you

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never did an IM, only cycling endurance events.
This fall I was at a conference on "emotions management" during endurance events, by a known sports psychologist.
I though the content was great.
Here's roughly what is was about (sorry I'm using Google translate from the french):

"Bet on your sense of self-efficacy (SAE)
It's the belief that you have the ability to do what
you have to do.
The SAE is a spinning wheel. It brings better
performance, which in turn improves the SAE.
How to do ?
• Use your past performance and build
success!
• Use verbal persuasion to stay positive!
Practice self-suggestion by listing your strengths
Congratulate yourself
Remember the efforts invested
• Use physiological information to find out if you are
at a good place :
It is normal that it is uncomfortable or that it hurts.
The good question is, "Does it hurt
correctly? "
• Recognize your anxiety, but that does not mean that
you are not able! It may be a sign
of excitement and not of fear!
• Have in mind an image that you like in connection with your
performance (eg the jaguar that goes fast).
Do you reach your goals, big and small!
Think of people who believe in you and who you
encourage!
• Have a routine!
They must be useful for both training and
race
They help to block distractions and they have
benefits for the body and the head.
• Develop alternative plans
"If that's okay, I'm doing that."
"If things go wrong, I do that (adverse conditions, pain,
fatigue, too many people, etc.) ".
• Listen to your loved ones who believe in you and who you
encourage!
• Be positive and learn to laugh at yourself!
• Never forget that you are the cause of your successes and
your failures are not the result of your abilities, but
the result of circumstances.
Remember that you are not at Hogwarts and that for
that it works in the race, you have to practice it at the training.

HOpe that helps,

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has been a great response for a few reasons, the least of which it gives me some things to focus on during the race that are healthy, like...ummm...Slowtwitch, and not things that are unhealthy, like riding 185w instead of 190w and how that means my race is going to shit (have seriously been there in the last IMs I've done/dnfd). Maintaining a positive outlook by being positive on the outside is something that in my last half (70.3 Worlds in 2017) made the race SIGNIFICANTLY more enjoyable even though I wasn't in it to be competitive as I had stopped training. It translated into better internal thought processes which means I came away from the race - in spite of a "slower" performance - with a much better outlook.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your best piece of IM advice for negative self-talk? [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
I berate myself 🤣. Tell yourself to quit being such a **** **** ********* ***********

Listening to my footsteps:

"Not quite my tempo"
"Are you rushing, or are you dragging?"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: What's your best piece of IM advice for negative self-talk? [atxtri1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always reflect back on all the early mornings rolling out of bed to head out on a run or drive to the gym for a swim....when I'd much rather stay in bed especially on the cold winter mornings. All the hard sessions when I've buried myself, the long runs, etc........And I simply ask myself, did I do all that for nothing?? Thinking of quitting after spending all that time training always lifts me up.

^^^^This. I used to do a lot of early morning workouts when I was training for IMs and the fear of failing on race day was always a good motivator to get out of bed on mornings where I wanted to sleep in, plus I knew that I could draw on those if I was in a tough spot in a particular point on race day. Also, if the weather sucked I still went out for a run/ride since I knew that was a possibility on race day in order to be ready for it (one year at LP there was a woman staying at the same place as us who dropped out very early on the bike because it started raining and she didn't like to ride in the rain).

Also, I remember someone telling me before my first IM that I would likely experience every possible emotion at least once at some point during race day, and to know that those moments were temporary since the payoff at the end would be huge.

I like the suggestion that someone made above about thanking each volunteer along the way; this should be done anyway, but it helps keep you positive even when things aren't going well and their enthusiasm can help pick you up.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: What's your best piece of IM advice for negative self-talk? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:

Listening to my footsteps:

"Not quite my tempo"
"Are you rushing, or are you dragging?"

Sounds about right.

Harsh words from the Farmer’s Insurance guy 😧
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
Harsh words from the Farmer’s Insurance guy 😧

... also J Jonah Jameson from pre-MCU/Tobey Maguire Spiderman trilogy

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I am in the middle of an IM .. I just keep thinking--- its only backstroke, its only backstroke, its only backstroke... Ill be back on my belly soon!

Gets me through each time.

sorry, Im a "fish" here...

daved

ps I do love the answers tho and great question.
During an ironman... I would just focus on the positives!

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this isn't possible in all cases, but the best way to get out of the valley is to not go into it in the first place.

Seems simple but it's not. Paying super close attention to your nutrition and pacing is crucial to having that positive feeling play throughout the entirety of the race. There is nothing quite like blowing past your competitors on the run after they overbiked or made some other mistake - and the good feeling builds on itself.

Another trick I use (informally) is to practice mindfulness while training and use that to understand your body's signals during a race. When you're redlining on a hard interval session on the trainer for example, try to become introspective and listen to your body's signals and how it correlates with performance. Embrace the suck. Tell yourself that you enjoy the pain when it's at its worst. Smile and keep going. If you practice this mindfullness you can use that in your race to pull yourself out of a hole.

Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next