Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's the difference between these SRAM cranks?
Quote | Reply
I'm new to SRAM and looking to get a Force crank with a power meter to replace the stock Rival crank on a new bike I've ordered.

I have a coupon I can use at Competitive Cyclist, and they have this 2x SRAM Force crank in the crank length and chain ring combo I want. But it looks different than this Force crank on the SRAM website. Is there a functional difference between the one at Competitive Cyclist versus the one on the SRAM site? Any reason to get one versus the other? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: What's the difference between these SRAM cranks? [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one on CC is the updated version that was just released a bit ago. Here it is on SRAM's website https://www.sram.com/...m/models/fc-frc-p-d2
Just get that one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new one at competitive cyclist (the "D2") looks cooler in my opinion. It's the latest design. But, the power meter and chainrings are sold as a single unit, so when your chainrings wear out it will cost you way more money.

If you are the type of person who monitors the wear of your chain and replaces the chain at the proper intervals, I'd say the D2 is a solid choice. If you're the type of person who doesn't maintain your bike well, and once a year your LBS tells you that you have to replace your chain, cassette, and chainrings because your worn out chain destroyed your drivetrain, then I'd stick with the D1.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the difference between these SRAM cranks? [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
The new one at competitive cyclist (the "D2") looks cooler in my opinion. It's the latest design. But, the power meter and chainrings are sold as a single unit, so when your chainrings wear out it will cost you way more money.

If you are the type of person who monitors the wear of your chain and replaces the chain at the proper intervals, I'd say the D2 is a solid choice. If you're the type of person who doesn't maintain your bike well, and once a year your LBS tells you that you have to replace your chain, cassette, and chainrings because your worn out chain destroyed your drivetrain, then I'd stick with the D1.

Thanks. I hadn't picked up on the detail that the powermeter is integrated with the chainrings.

So another option is to pick up a Force crank and then also buy a SRAM AXS power meter spider (like this). That would allow me to change out chain rings if needed.

I think I'm pretty good with maintaining my equipment and I haven't had any issues with worn components. But this gives me a bit more to think about just in case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
So another option is to pick up a Force crank and then also buy a SRAM AXS power meter spider (like this). That would allow me to change out chain rings if needed.

It’s worth checking that you can get your chosen chainring sizes with the 4 bolt 107BCD mount this requires. Easy enough for single TT chainrings (Drag2Zero make a bunch of sizes, for example), but a more normal road size is much more difficult to find - SRAM don’t make anything except direct mount until you go down to the smaller gravel-sized chainrings.
Quote Reply