Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's the best inner tubes?
Quote | Reply
May sound like a really dumb question but I'm a newbie on this since I've always been a tubular guy.

Finally broke down and bought a pair of clincher wheels for the road bike. Did my research for the most "bang for the buck" and decided on Neuvatron A28 Aero wheels and Veloflex Pave tires. But I can't find much on inner tubes.

I want durability, light weight and ability to hold air, realizing that some compromises may have to be made to get all three.

Any suggestions from you clincher folks? Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the best inner tubes? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, for general training and most racing just go to your local bike shop and pick up whatever the normal tubes they have there are. You can go with super light tubes (ie super thin & easier to flat) or latex (super light, kinda flat resistant, but you gotta pump them up daily) but they are more race only and even then a lot of people still use standard tubes to race on. I'm pretty sure you'll get the same answer from anyone else who answers your post.

Make sure when you buy your tubes that the valve length is long enough, I think the Nuevations need at least a 48mm valve on the tube. You can go 60mm but that's probably overkill and may throw off the balance a bit. sprinkle baby powder in the tire first, or better yet take a gallon ziplock bag, unroll new tubes and place in bag, sprinkle liberally with baby powder, seal bag and shake. Just keep the bag around with the left over powder for next time.

Man, I was kicking myself recently after passing up some of those Nuevations at Wildflower. The owner had shipped a bunch of sets in and didn't want to take them back so he was offering some scary scary prices on them. Nice wheels, good choice.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the best inner tubes? [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tai,

Thanks for the info. Good to hear your comments on the Neuvatrons. I don't know anybody who has them so based my purchase on opinions from roadbikereview.com where they had a lot of hits and very high marks from the roadies. Plus they came up on ebay on a bargain price. I've been using Velomax tubbies and assume the clinchers are just as good. What I like about them is that they are still genuine made in Italy tires, whereas a lot of the "Italian" stuff these days is being farmed out to Tawain. Not that being made in Tawain would make anything inferior, but I guess I'm a traditionalist at heart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ha, well you better get used to "Made in Asia" if you're using clinchers. The Nuevations are made overseas and I doubt you'll find a american made tube anywhere;) Have fun, so you were training on tubulars up to this point? Man I wish my roads were clean enough to make that even a option. Way to many flats here for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming that you are running Veloflex Paves. I was convinced to try them and purchased 5. I found that they were light and comfortable, but not durable. They were very subsceptible to cuts that rendered them garbage before you could wear them out. The last one did that within 100 miles. After that frustration, I switched. BTW, the switch was to one of the "other" Italian brands (Vittoria) made not in Taiwan, but Thailand. Veloflex (at least as I'm aware of product available in the US) does not offer much in the way of a range of tires for you to choose from. The Pave's are ok as long as you are on roads with no debris. Vittoria offers a range from ultra durable to ultralight, and pretty much anywhere between the two extremes. You can pretty much find a model that suits your needs.
Quote Reply