Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's going on with my heel?
Quote | Reply
Looking for some advice or opinions on whether this is plantar fasciitis or some other ailment. I've read all the old threads on heel pain and PF and still haven't come to a conclusion.

In August I started noticing some pain in the outside of my right heel. At first it was pretty mild and I kept training through it, and for a while it actually felt better when I ran but it got progressively worse over the next few weeks. In mid-October I saw a podiatrist who told me it's inflammation and gave me a cortisone shot which did pretty much nothing. Since then I've been rolling my foot, calf and achilles pretty regularly and using Superfeet inserts in both my casual and running shoes. I can still run but it it gets very sore and painful within a couple hours after I stop. I took a little over a week off from running and did feel a little better, but as soon as I ran again it came right back. It seems as though rolling my calf and loosening everything up alleviates the pain somewhat.

The symptoms seem consistent with PF/inflammation but the location on the outside of my heel seems strange, and I'm concerned that I haven't seen any improvement in several months. I do have more pronounced pronation on my right side vs. my left so that is likely contributing. Should I be concerned that this might be something more serious than simple inflammation? It doesn't seem like a spot where I would get a stress fracture or anything like that. Appreciate any opinions or similar experiences. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: What's going on with my heel? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like pf to me , does it hurt when you wake up in the morning and first step on the foot ? I'd recommend icing the area i put my foot in a bucket of cold water and put a bag of ice on the heel for 20min 2/3 times a day if you can do it more go for it ,amongst all the various stretches they recommend ,one thing that was the most effective for me was wearing a night splint , i used one by a company called ultimate performance (planitar fasia sock) first night sleep took some getting use to but you give it a few days an you'll be good to go again its tempting to dothe sock up as tight as it will go but a gentle lift will suffice
Last edited by: jono84: Dec 13, 18 23:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heel spur, maybe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tight calf pulling on your heel. roll calf, get ART / dry needling / etc if you can't resolve it yourself

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You haven't seen improvement because you haven't properly rested/rehabbed/prehabbed it. You need to take longer than a week off. You mentioned that after a week of rest you started seeing some improvement and started running again only to have it flare up again. Here are 3 things I'd suggest doing:

1. Allow it to heal. Rest it longer than a week, during this process identify what your imbalances are and address those imbalances with the proper rehab protocol. This will involve some foam rolling and releasing, stretching and strengthening. Check higher up the chain as well such as the knee in the lateral quad and lateral hamstring area, also check the hip in the glute, piriformis and hip flexor area.
2. Identify what caused this. Take a look at your programming and see if there was something in your training that caused this issue. An increase in mileage, increase in intensity, increase in duration can cause overuse problems. If you can identify when this problem started then you may have an idea of what went wrong in your training.
3. Check your gait. You mentioned you believe you over-pronate on the affected foot but the question is why do you? This is caused by something in the kinetic chain or gait. When it is time to start running again I would seek the advice of an expert on running form. Find out what inefficiencies exist in your running technique/gait. To a trained eye this can help you find other imbalances that you may not have addressed during the restoration process.

Remember there is no time frame on injuries, each one is different and each individual is different. Don't rush back to running from an injury as it can cause more issues further down the road.

Happy recovery.

Louie Frank Cicchino
Accelero Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
Looking for some advice or opinions on whether this is plantar fasciitis or some other ailment. I've read all the old threads on heel pain and PF and still haven't come to a conclusion.

In August I started noticing some pain in the outside of my right heel. At first it was pretty mild and I kept training through it, and for a while it actually felt better when I ran but it got progressively worse over the next few weeks. In mid-October I saw a podiatrist who told me it's inflammation and gave me a cortisone shot which did pretty much nothing. Since then I've been rolling my foot, calf and achilles pretty regularly and using Superfeet inserts in both my casual and running shoes. I can still run but it it gets very sore and painful within a couple hours after I stop. I took a little over a week off from running and did feel a little better, but as soon as I ran again it came right back. It seems as though rolling my calf and loosening everything up alleviates the pain somewhat.

The symptoms seem consistent with PF/inflammation but the location on the outside of my heel seems strange, and I'm concerned that I haven't seen any improvement in several months. I do have more pronounced pronation on my right side vs. my left so that is likely contributing. Should I be concerned that this might be something more serious than simple inflammation? It doesn't seem like a spot where I would get a stress fracture or anything like that. Appreciate any opinions or similar experiences. Thanks!

My PF pain was on the outside of my heel.

After a series of too short rests which did nothing, I finally took about 10 weeks off of running, iced, rolled my foot on an iced water bottle, etc. I've been back running for a couple of weeks now and it doesn't seem to be coming back, knock wood.
Last edited by: Erin C.: Dec 13, 18 17:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies. No running, daily icing and rolling/stretching seem to be helping a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: What's going on with my heel? [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:

My PF pain was on the outside of my heel.

After a series of too short rests which did nothing, I finally took about 10 weeks off of running, iced, rolled my foot on an iced water bottle, etc. I've been back running for a couple of weeks now and it doesn't seem to be coming back, knock wood.

That was pretty much my story too in 2014. Had a pronounced pain point on the inside of the right heel. Took 2 months off from running, found a PT that taught me how to take care of it properly and showed me some useful glute strengthening exercise. Have not had it return since.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:

It's also possible that this is achilles related as the sides of the heel can indicate insertional achilles issues. There is a thread here with how to treat it and all that. If you look it up in may help.
Quote Reply