Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What’s the best tri cycling shoe these days?
Quote | Reply
I’ve got a pair of Specialized S-Works Trivents. They have been great, but are getting a little extra nasty, and never looked like the most aero option.

I have an old pair of Giro Empire SLX on which I could perform a Thomas Gerlach special.

Beyond that, are there any notable favorites? I know Bonts are popular with the pros, but I’m told they fit funny and aren’t for everyone
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the best tri cycling shoe these days? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you want a tri-specific shoe? A lot of people are using road shoes these days.

That said, I’m using the bontrager ballista shoe with a bow dial on the back of each shoe. I love them and I like to think they’re pretty aero.

Bonts are incredible shoes. Outside of racing, I use Bonts on my road bike and gravel bike. You either love them or hate them, though.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like my Louis Garneau tri shoes, would recommend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on what you are looking for in a tri shoe and what kind of racing you do.

For sprint races and for pros that are trying to make the bike "pack" then conventional tri shoes with the single velcro strap are still the ticket.

For longer races, lots of folks opt for a comfortable road shoe (the Shimano RC9 or RC7 are good choices). That being said, a modified laceup shoe (Giro Empire or similar) is a more aero option and will more than recoup any extra T1 time for 70.3 or longer. If you want higher end than the Empire, go with the S-Works laceup; for a lower cost version get some of the old LG LA84 shoes (available for <$100...they have a fiberglass/nylon sole and aren't as stiff as carbon, but tris are not about 1000W sprints).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the best tri cycling shoe these days? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. Really like my bonts.

A couple pair of zero + for tri
Vaypor G for gravel
Riot for the turbo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really happy with my fizik transiro r1‘s

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Giro SLX with speed laces. I didn't cut the tongue out, but I did lace from the top of the shoe downwards and didn't do the top holes so the opening is a bit wider. I also use a soccer cleat sleeve over the midsection, kind of like the Specialized shoes used to have. Keeps everything nice and compact and stuck together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
I’ve got a pair of Specialized S-Works Trivents. They have been great, but are getting a little extra nasty, and never looked like the most aero option.

I have an old pair of Giro Empire SLX on which I could perform a Thomas Gerlach special.

Beyond that, are there any notable favorites? I know Bonts are popular with the pros, but I’m told they fit funny and aren’t for everyone

Tolerated Bontrager shoes
Liked LG
Hated Bont
Then landed on Gaerne G.Kona and love them. If they ever wear out, I'll buy another of the same pair.

They have a low profile sole, Speedplay option, made in Italy with long-lasting (if a materials, attractive profile, and the fit is similar to LG.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the best tri cycling shoe these days? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same, mine have lasted almost 5 years now too. Solid built shoes and really comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Pearl Izumi Tri Fly Pro is an awesome shoe. It features a Boa closure, carbon sole, double heel loops, it's well ventilated and sells for a "reasaonable" $250.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the best tri cycling shoe these days? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I really like the LG tri shoe- comfortable and fairly good for short course transitions. Not sure how aero they are though…wish the STAC/4iiii Virtual Tunnel was still available so i could test them out vs Bonts or something similar
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the best tri cycling shoe these days? [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:
The Pearl Izumi Tri Fly Pro is an awesome shoe. It features a Boa closure, carbon sole, double heel loops, it's well ventilated and sells for a "reasaonable" $250.

Got a pair coming, new off ebay - really interested as I race in road shoes most of the time. But been in PI for the last 10 years...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the best tri cycling shoe these days? [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s the verdict for you? Considering getting a pair.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If fit, lightweight and durability are important for you, perhaps consider Rocket7's. They are under 170 grams with very stiff carbon soles. I have issues with my feet, and had 2 pairs of custom shoes made 16 years ago. 1 pair for racing, that are still like brand new, and one pair for training that have about 150,000 km on them. They are well used, and scruffy looking, but still get the job done. Only thing I would consider would be getting an additional pair. They have both been outstanding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on your foot shape, there are often differing models in brands. We do a TON of Lake shoes, and I've found them to be simply amazing. Having used many of the aforementioned brands, the Lakes blow away what I previously considered quality and comfort. The soles are light all carbon, and the uppers are really nice leather unlike the plastic of many; some even Kangaroo. I've got 3 different models and am looking at more. The higher end are heat moldable unlimited number of times and two way BOAs. Check out Lake for sure....

Kiwami Racing Team
Last edited by: playguy: Apr 12, 23 6:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a little disappointed in Slowtwitch today. The OP asked for the best, and since one of our own makes them, I'm embarrassed nobody has yet referred to them...
https://www.velovetta.com/...owtwitch%20signature

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear good things about the new Cadamotus shoes, a Dutch brand. You can heat mold to shoes yourself. Haven't tried them, price is steep...

https://www.cadomotus.com/en/triathlon/cycling-shoes/
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the best tri cycling shoe these days? [irondave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Rocket7's."
------------------------------------------------
Back in those days there were lots of good reports on these shoes. I had a VERY poor experience with them that was never resolved. I think I was caught in the time that the company was changing hands. About $1000 down the drain for me.

To the OP - I have been reasonably satisfied with Specialized S Works.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the best tri cycling shoe these days? [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
I'm a little disappointed in Slowtwitch today. The OP asked for the best, and since one of our own makes them, I'm embarrassed nobody has yet referred to them...

Still vaporware at this point. Hard to say they’re the best when nobody has ever worn or used them.

This wasn’t meant to disparage Ed in anyway. Just pointing to the fact the shoes haven’t hit the market yet so why would they be even considered in the discussion.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Apr 12, 23 4:57
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the best tri cycling shoe these days? [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:

Thanks for the shoutout! Will be available second half of next month!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the best tri cycling shoe these days? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t want to create new thread.
Has anyone tried Fizik Transiro R3 for flying mount? Next season I’m aiming into Olympic and 1/4IM distance and want to save some time. In many races we’ve got really long run from T1 to bike course.
Any other options for wide opening/fast closing shoes?
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velovetta monarch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laced shoe with the laces and tongue pulled out. Replace with flat elastics. These are still my preferred go-to even though I also have wide-open velcro tri shoes.
Quote Reply