Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What’s next for Wahoo
Quote | Reply
I am curious has anyone heard anything on updates to the Wahoo Bolt or KICKR/KICKR Core for 2020? Also any idea if they are going to finally follow through on the Rival to compete with Garmin? They have been quiet after the Sufferfest purchase and although I love the Bolt I ended up with a 530 just because it was more up-to-date (although why Garmin has not allowed configuration from the phone app is beyond me). Also if you have a KICKR or KICKR Core I am curious to hear if the teething issues they had have been worked out now.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: What’s next for Wahoo [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ordered a Bolt so they either need to release an update this week or wait a while so I feel better about it.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s next for Wahoo [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes that would suck of they release one in two weeks or something

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been wondering the same... still using my 2014 KICKR and contemplating an upgrade. We seem to be on in the 2 yr refresh cycle here but I've also been well trained by Apple on this front, so maybe expecting a KICKR 2020 isn't realistic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
I am curious has anyone heard anything on updates to the Wahoo Bolt or KICKR/KICKR Core for 2020? Also any idea if they are going to finally follow through on the Rival to compete with Garmin? They have been quiet after the Sufferfest purchase and although I love the Bolt I ended up with a 530 just because it was more up-to-date (although why Garmin has not allowed configuration from the phone app is beyond me). Also if you have a KICKR or KICKR Core I am curious to hear if the teething issues they had have been worked out now.

Innovation in smart trainers will be evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Wahoo has gone quiet and I doubt it will launch anything soon. My guess is a Kickr 5 at some point but not sure it will be compelling enough for an upgrade for those with a 3 or 4. Maybe for those owning a Snap
Quote Reply
Re: What’s next for Wahoo [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bolt is certainly I erdue for an upgrade at minimum....I don't expect anything revolutionary on the trainer front....but if the Climb version 2 is cheaper that would be good as would be the headwind.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wahoo comparatively to Garmin is a small company. Doing things outside of their wheelhouse could hurt them in the marketplace. They've submitted and withdrawn several FTC applications for their watch, which they've previously called the Rival. Dan says don't expect it any time soon. I think if/when they do enter the GPS watch marketplace it will be with a premium unit since most of Wahoos products are premium products. But I've been on this site as a commenter for 2.5 years and there's always an oo or an ah whenever Wahoo farts in the direction of a watch.

They just released a full on indoor smart bike. That's what's RIGHT NOW, and that requires a lot of attention. I don't know if they were developing that and the watch side by side under different teams. I just don't get the whole watch conversation (I love my kickr, it just works).

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smart Treadmill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Also any idea if they are going to finally follow through on the Rival to compete with Garmin?

TheStroBro wrote:
Wahoo comparatively to Garmin is a small company. Doing things outside of their wheelhouse could hurt them in the marketplace. They've submitted and withdrawn several FTC applications for their watch, which they've previously called the Rival. Dan says don't expect it any time soon. I think if/when they do enter the GPS watch marketplace it will be with a premium unit since most of Wahoos products are premium products. But I've been on this site as a commenter for 2.5 years and there's always an oo or an ah whenever Wahoo farts in the direction of a watch.

On the official Wahoo Instagram account they responded me that they have no plans to release a sport watch right now.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s next for Wahoo [triathlete_78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that makes sense although I was hoping otherwise. Anyway they are probably busy with trainers, headwind, climb, bolt, suffer fest and speedplay...thats enough i guess 😁

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect the next products in the line are lower end climb and headwinds. The aim would be sell package deals with a Core+Climb+Headwind for something like the price of the highest end trainer on the market. Some time in further in the future we may see a lower spec Wahoo smart bike but I'm not convinced.

Wahoo's success has been built on developing a product that is priced way above anything currently on the market, convincing people to buy them and then producing lower models to really cash in. If I remember correctly the Kickr Climb was ~$1000 when it first announced it and even they weren't convinced anyone would buy one. They have successfully built a market now and, keeping in mind the climb is a brilliant way to sell Kickr's in additional to making money on its own, I suspect the market is ripe for a 'Kickr Climb Core'. Same story with the fan. Stupid expensive but they have the hype to exploit if they lower the price.

I don't see how you can utilize this same model in the GPS world. Garmin already makes the MARQ as and Edge 1030 at eye watering price points and its hard to out premium the existing market. So I don't see much of a reason for Wahoo to hit hard into the GPS watches or other head units.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want them to release a rocking base like Saris except make it half the price. Then I will buy one to go with my Kickr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have a massive problem with their bike computers. I suspect they expected a big reception with the ROAM, but Garmin redefined the market with the 530 and 830. Then, Garmin down-prided their legacy products to undermine the Bolt. Wahoo was clearly skating to where the puck used to be. That is not a quick fix.

Their trainers are still best in class. It is a personal preference battle between Wahoo and Tacx. Even Tacx’s last couple updates were meh. This category seems like it is leveling out. Everything I have read seems to indicate the Core and KICKR trainers are long past their initial release glitches.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s next for Wahoo [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny i was thinking a lower priced headwind and climb is just the thing and a package deal correctly prices would fly off the virtual shelves.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am still wondering what they will do with Speedplay? That always seemed like an odd aquisitiin to me. My only guess would be that they plan on entering the fit bike market using a version of their trainer bike with more adjustable seat and handlebars. Adding the most adjustable pedal system out there would fill the third contact point.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s next for Wahoo [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedplay powder meter is one option.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Speedplay powder meter is one option.

I would love to see that happen - is there a tentative timeline or just pure rumor at this point?

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: What’s next for Wahoo [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out Inside Ride's Kickr E-Flex. I've had one for about 2 weeks now, absolutely love it - and it's much cheaper than Saris' rocker.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s next for Wahoo [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumor.....thats the expectation though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If a Speedplay PM happens, I would bet on an acquisition to get the technology. Wahoo does not have any PM products, and they are generally light on sensors and experience. Speedplay only has 25 employees. DCR's interview probably setup the rumor and hope:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...er-pedal-future.html

Quote:
When asked, Chip laughed a bit. As for an answer, he was clearly trying to be a bit coy on that, but his ultimate answer doesn’t really leave much ambiguity. He says that “It is definitely an intriguing space”, followed a few seconds later by “I’m definitely interested in pedals for power.”
Quote Reply
Re: What’s next for Wahoo [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
They have a massive problem with their bike computers. I suspect they expected a big reception with the ROAM, but Garmin redefined the market with the 530 and 830. Then, Garmin down-prided their legacy products to undermine the Bolt. Wahoo was clearly skating to where the puck used to be. That is not a quick fix.

Interesting. I'd say that Bolt is the most popular cycling computer where I live by quite a margin. I don't know anyone with an 830 and hardly see any 530s. My wife still has a 520, but the battery can barely survive an ironman leg anymore. On the flip side, by Elemnt needs to be charged once about every other week. The wahoo UX is about 100x better than the 500s, 520s, and 820s i've owned. IMO the Wahoos are ugly, but the performance is much better than any garmin I've used. I don't plan on ever buying another garmin product if i can help it.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s next for Wahoo [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The BOLT has a strong following, and it was a segment killer in 2017. But Garmin's 2019 product updates re-framed the competitive landscape.

When Wahoo released the ELEMNT, their competition was the Garmin 1000. It was a premium (for Wahoo) product that offered a strong alternative to the Garmin at a much better price. Its larger screen was a compelling alternative to the smaller Garmin 520 and 810 units available at the time. Then, Wahoo introduced the BOLT which offered great features and undercut the price of the 520. It was another category killer.

When Wahoo planned its ROAM introduction with its in-between screen size, I suspect they thought it would be the leader in the smaller screen product segment and put Garmin's 5xx and 8xxx products on their heels. However, a couple weeks before, Garmin released their 530 and 830 products with larger screens and major feature improvements from their predecessor models. The ROAM is at a competitive feature disadvantage with the 530, yet it is priced $80 higher-- only $20 below the 830 with its killer touch screen UI.

Garmin has the Edge Explore and 520 Plus that it can use as weapons to box-in Wahoo and control the entry-level product space.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s next for Wahoo [triathlete_78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathlete_78 wrote:
TizzleDK wrote:
On the official Wahoo Instagram account they responded me that they have no plans to release a sport watch right now.

Guessing they can't get the pricing to get even close to what Garmin offers or they would try. Who wants a $800 watch?

TheRhino wrote:
Been wondering the same... still using my 2014 KICKR and contemplating an upgrade. We seem to be on in the 2 yr refresh cycle here but I've also been well trained by Apple on this front, so maybe expecting a KICKR 2020 isn't realistic.

That 2014 Kickr is barely on the same planet as the newer releases. Even the Core feels super high end compared to that thing. Accurate power readings, almost silent and 10 lbs lighter.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s next for Wahoo [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

Interesting. I'd say that Bolt is the most popular cycling computer where I live by quite a margin. I don't know anyone with an 830 and hardly see any 530s. My wife still has a 520, but the battery can barely survive an ironman leg anymore. On the flip side, by Elemnt needs to be charged once about every other week. The wahoo UX is about 100x better than the 500s, 520s, and 820s i've owned. IMO the Wahoos are ugly, but the performance is much better than any garmin I've used. I don't plan on ever buying another garmin product if i can help it.

After going from the Garmin 820 to the Wahoo Bolt it would take a lot for me to consider going Garmin. The Bolt has been more reliable, has a better battery life, easier to read display while riding, easier to edit (because of the phone app), better mapping, post ride metrics are just as good if not better, easier to connect with power meters and other devices. The only thing it was missing was Varia integration, but now it does that just as good as Garmin.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully they are working on supporting short cranks...
Quote Reply

Prev Next