Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuits at Lake Placid
Quote | Reply
I know that the wetsuit cut off is a water temperature of over 78 degrees. Is that decision carved in stone or is it up to the discretion of the race director? There’ll be a record number of swimmers at Mirror lake this Sunday, and probably quite a few first timers who never thought they’d be swimming the course without the aid of a wetsuit. I don’t know the current temperature of Mirror Lake, but given this summer’s current heat wave, it’s got to be getting pretty warm.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuits at Lake Placid [Aaross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I hope that's not the case. But it is what it is. Anyone local know the water temp?

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since the event has started 6 years ago 1999, there were wetsuits every race. Wetsuits are going to be allowed temperatures drop a lot in mountains during the night so don't worry!!! It could be a different story for the women pro-field.

I was also there on the weekend of the 4th of July and water temperature was low 70's. The weather at that time was a lot warmer high 80's and low 90's.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuits at Lake Placid [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
from the IM website:

SWIM COURSE - 2.4 Miles (2 loops)

The two loop swim takes place in Mirror Lake, a calm, pristine lake right in the heart of Lake Placid. It is an excellent spectator course. The water temperature is typically in the high 60s to low 70s. Wetsuits will be allowed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will likely used the "patented" Ironman North America thermometer. If neccessary, an unknown guy will drop a bag of ice cubes in the lake at the point that they will measure temps.

All kidding aside, I seriously doubt that Mr. Fraser will entertain a mass start with 2000 dudes without built in life jackets (aka wetsuit).

If you plan to have a strong race and not get dehydrated in the swim and blow on the bike-run, I would strongly encourage people to get a sleeveless wetsuits. At the Peterborough half Ironman, the same patented thermometer was in use. Pretty well everyone in a long sleeve (90% of the field) cooked on the swim (whether they knew it or not) and paid the price in the second half of the scorching bike and during the entire shadeless run. I made the error of going with my LS suit in search of speed (and really cooked 100m into the swim alone), but for LP I am going sleeveless.

Dev
Quote Reply