Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit shoulder fatigue
Quote | Reply
This is for Dan or anyone who can offer some insight into what’s going on here with my arms during my swim

First, adult onset swimmer and my HIM swims are typically 35 - 40 ish either ocean or lake. Nothing spectacular (I should sight more frequently) but I’m not wrecked for the rest of the day when I’m training consistently.

A couple years ago I moved to the Roka Maverick Elite from a Huub and initially was amazed at the position I held in the water etc but my last couple of swims have fatigued my arms pretty quickly - like 800meters and they’re weights. I’ve warmed up, reset the shoulders of the suit, pulled it up, adjusted it etc and not found it better. I’d say it’s more bicep than shoulder but they feel tired - not able to drive the arm forward.

Full confession, I’m 8 pounds heavier than last year - but it’s defintely not in my shoulders! My arms are the same sticks as before.

The suit is three years old, is it shrinking up or getting less flexible, is it the wrong suit ? Not to be whiny but the lakes and ocean swims are not marginal on temps - they’re cold so I’d like to keep the sleeves. I’d like it to be beneficial to a MOP swimmer etc.

I get that a wetsuit is like a sneaker and individual but what am I looking for and what should I expect in shoulder movement when trying on a wetsuit? I’ve got 6 weeks before my next race and would like to sort it.

Thanks

Rob
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit shoulder fatigue [Halfcrazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without seeing the fit, I’d say you’re a little heavier and you’re not pulling your wetsuit up high enough (in the crotch, giving a little more room for mobility in the shoulders).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Culley22 said. As you gain weight you gain weight systemically. You're arms are going to have a bit more fat on them, maybe not as much as other areas but your sticks are slightly larger. If you're on the cusp of sizes that could be enough.

Congrats on being in the tiny bicep club. If you see mine send them back to me

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit shoulder fatigue [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, late start to training and too much office time. I’ll try the suggestion to crank the thing as high as I can around the crotch and hips and if that fails, plan to rent something a size up.

As always your pragmatism is valued. Hope you’re doing well and embarrassingly I owe you a couple emails on suggested scotches.

Rob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
''Full confession, I’m 8 pounds heavier than last year'' ''The suit is three years old, is it shrinking up'' ''

Now that's funny! It's not the flab, your wetsuit is shrinking!

Seriously, if you're heavier, you've got to spend more time getting your suit stretched up, arms and shoulders included. And get rid of those extra pounds.

I've had a Roka suit for at least three years and the only time I felt shoulder fatigue was when I ran out of time, jumped into my wetsuit and into the water just in time for the start. I could feel my shoulders all the way through the swim. Since then I've always taken time to stretch and pull and get the suit just right.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply