Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit Lifespan, Care, & Expectations
Quote | Reply
I have a Zone 3 Vision wetsuit I bought early 2016. It was at the lower end of Zone 3's range, but not their entry level. I have only raced it 5 times-- 4 HIM swims and a sprint. I usually do 2 or 3 pool swims in it before a race, so it has a total of 20 uses and 26 miles.

The neoprene between my legs is worn through to the inner fabric lining (see the first picture). And, the neoprene around my arm pits is splitting (2nd picture). There are more splits, all across a seam. Is this normal? Is there something I should be doing to better preserve my wetsuit? How much life can I expect out of a wetsuit?

I have to do pool swims in it because I do not have easy access to open water. After every pool swim, I rinse it inside and out and lay it out to dry. After a race, I thoroughly rinse and soak it, and then I hang it inside out and then right-side out to fully dry. Then I put it away until the next race.

I want to buy a better wetsuit after this season, so I may wear this one only one or two more times. However, before I invest, I want to know if I am doing something (or not doing something) that is ruining my wetsuit prematurely. I may be hosed on the thigh wear, because I have always had thigh chafing to battle when I run, but the neoprene splitting seems unusual.

Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Lifespan, Care, & Expectations [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure there is a correct answer for your question due to the multiple variables involved. There is wetsuit "shampoo/cleaner" sold by several vendors that you should look into. Not sure if your swim stroke/kick pattern is an issue. That said, your next suit should come with some type of warranty. As for durability, I just tossed a 10 year old wetsuit out as the bottom piece ripped at the seams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like you are taking good care of it. You didn't say specifically, but I would be sure that when you hang it to dry that you are not hanging it in direct sunlight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased my one and only wetsuit (DeSoto T1) in early 2008 and it's still in great condition today. The only thing I do to it is rinse it off after each swim, hang to dry and then fold it up into the box that it was delivered in.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Lifespan, Care, & Expectations [toastygloveman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toastygloveman wrote:
You didn't say specifically, but I would be sure that when you hang it to dry that you are not hanging it in direct sunlight.
Yep, I initially hang it in my shower until it stops dripping and then I move it to my closet to finish drying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short article on this very topic today... http://www.triathlete.com/...-last-7-years_136088
I have 3 that have lasted 3 years and all of them were given to me. 1 was a full wetsuit used by a pro that is showing the most use with minor tears but no seam issues. I think it definitely has to do with the quality of the suit, seam construction, flexibility as well as how you take care of it. Good Luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Lifespan, Care, & Expectations [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
I purchased my one and only wetsuit (DeSoto T1) in early 2008 and it's still in great condition today. The only thing I do to it is rinse it off after each swim, hang to dry and then fold it up into the box that it was delivered in.

+1 for me and a T1 from ‘05. Sent in for two small repairs (my error in pulling on) over all those years and I do exactly the same as above.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I have a Zone 3 Vision wetsuit I bought early 2016. It was at the lower end of Zone 3's range, but not their entry level. I have only raced it 5 times-- 4 HIM swims and a sprint. I usually do 2 or 3 pool swims in it before a race, so it has a total of 20 uses and 26 miles.

The neoprene between my legs is worn through to the inner fabric lining (see the first picture). And, the neoprene around my arm pits is splitting (2nd picture). There are more splits, all across a seam. Is this normal? Is there something I should be doing to better preserve my wetsuit? How much life can I expect out of a wetsuit?

I have to do pool swims in it because I do not have easy access to open water. After every pool swim, I rinse it inside and out and lay it out to dry. After a race, I thoroughly rinse and soak it, and then I hang it inside out and then right-side out to fully dry. Then I put it away until the next race.

I want to buy a better wetsuit after this season, so I may wear this one only one or two more times. However, before I invest, I want to know if I am doing something (or not doing something) that is ruining my wetsuit prematurely. I may be hosed on the thigh wear, because I have always had thigh chafing to battle when I run, but the neoprene splitting seems unusual.

I worked in the wetsuit industry for over 10 years... A friend of mine is still using his wetsuit from 1999.

A wetsuit should not be splitting that like that after such limited use; the only thing I can think of is that it is cheap rubber. Splitting across the seams normally happens after a few years, but with much more use..or perhaps if it is stored in a room (or garage etc) that gets really hot over summer..or some place similar.

Do you hang your suit, or do you roll it up like a sleeping bag? I would always roll it up, and never fold it down the middle (as some do).

I am stumped as to how your suit could have worn out between the legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2XU V2 must be about 7 years old by now and still going.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Lifespan, Care, & Expectations [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

I worked in the wetsuit industry for over 10 years... A friend of mine is still using his wetsuit from 1999.

A wetsuit should not be splitting that like that after such limited use; the only thing I can think of is that it is cheap rubber. Splitting across the seams normally happens after a few years, but with much more use..or perhaps if it is stored in a room (or garage etc) that gets really hot over summer..or some place similar.

Do you hang your suit, or do you roll it up like a sleeping bag? I would always roll it up, and never fold it down the middle (as some do).

I am stumped as to how your suit could have worn out between the legs.

To the op - are your legs on the 'thicker' side? That just looks like legs rubbing together over time to wear down the neoprene.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Lifespan, Care, & Expectations [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
To the op - are your legs on the 'thicker' side? That just looks like legs rubbing together over time to wear down the neoprene.
Yes, I have thick legs. Even when I was <<10% body fat, my legs would always rub and chafe bad when running. Seeing the wear on my wetsuit is no surprise, given that history. I may have to find either wetsuit that has tougher material on the inner thighs. Or, I may need to attach some surface protection. I figured others would have run into this and solved it.

Regarding the splitting, the common theme there seems to be high-quality suits last longer... way longer. Of the above posts in which people had suits last >5 years, I think most (or all) are upper-tier wetsuits made of Yamamoto. My Vision wetsuit does not use top-tier rubber. My next wetsuit will likely be a penultimate-best model from probably Roka or blueseventy. Those two seem to be consistently at or near the top of most favorites lists I have seen.
Quote Reply