Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weird Shin Splints
Quote | Reply
Hey all - I've never had shin splints before, but I've definitely got some sweet ones going in my right leg. It's pretty much the prototypical shin splint pain - interior lower shin. The strange thing, though, is this: they come and go, almost daily. On a 10 miler last friday, I didn't feel as much as a twinge. Today, on a nice easy 4 miles it was killing me. Has anyone had similar experiences? Is this normal?

If you work harder you'll go faster
Quote Reply
Re: Weird Shin Splints [timmyc99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know if this is normal, I had the same issue and it was two years of frustration, I could never really know what the trigger was for them to flair up. I finally asked my doctor and he immediately sent me next door to the PT's office. I got some orthotics and it was amazing. After a couple of weeks of gradual use I was cured.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Weird Shin Splints [fc_celtic_fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Orthotics for shin splints? Yowza

Quote | Reply
"Orthotics for shin splints? Yowza"

If he had medial tibial stress issues, they are usually biomechanical in nature so yes, orthotics could be a solution.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird Shin Splints [timmyc99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes pain in just one shin can be bad and a sign leading to a stress fracture, but good thing you don't have pain all the time. Any swelling or numbness in the toe or feel like it is hard to move your bike toe during painful times which could be compartments syndorme although fairly rare? Always good to rule out compartment syndrome which can be acute or chronic. Acute compartment syndromes needs immediately medical attention.

Good chance just shin splints, but pain is not good and "killing me" pain is even worse. If you never had shin splints, how do you know it is typical? Any changes in running habits as more speed, distance, intervals or running terrain?

What about shoes? Are you wearing the proper style and fit? New shoes? Old Shoes? How often do you change your shoes?

If it is true shin splints, treatment may consisit of ice, stretching, and alleviate the cause. It can be hard to determine cause.

You just need to find someone to help determine the cause. Sometimes good running stores can help you. But cause is probably biomechanical which some type of orthotic or taping may help. The root of the cause could come from foot structure OR maybe something like a tight muscle or muscle imbalance another part of your leg that is forcing you to running different.

If pain continues, see your health care provider and try to find someone with a sports medicine background.

Quote | Reply
I've actually just set up an appointment with my PCP to check it out - hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. I want to be sure that I don't have a stress fracture. I don't have any swelling or numbness with the pain - it's mostly a sort of throbbing pain.
I called it "typical" shin splints based mostly on advice I got from my bother in law, which is an ATC and a PA. I described it to him and he thought it sounded very shin-splinty. I'm running in Brooks -I've been in the same model/size for four pairs now,so I think the fit is alright. They are doing ok milage-wise, definitely not new, but not worn out, at least I don't think so.
I've been meaning to take my shoes over to my local running shop - they have very strange summer hours. (Open at 11am.. seriously?)
I haven't greatly changed my milage.. at the beginning of the year, I had taken a little break from training, but I tried to build it back up pretty slowly. I'm sure i pushed it a little too hard at times, but it wasn't like I went from 0mi/week to 50.
Thanks for all the help.

If you work harder you'll go faster
Quote Reply