Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Weight lifting...
Quote | Reply
Over the past couple of months I have been chatting with athletes and coaches about triathlete's weight lifting in the "off season". There seems to be two very distinctive camps "do it" and "don't bother"... are there any articles that speak to these two philosophies? what are folks opinions on this board? Is there a difference between men and women when it comes to this?

-J

-Jenn
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting... [runslikeagirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to if to only answer the question "So, how much ya bench?" or use the expression "gun show."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"what are folks opinions on this board?"

Oh God, INCOMING!!!! Everyone find shelter! ;-)

Seriously though, do a forum search, these threads can be hostile. I don't think many will say weight lifting is bad, but to what extent it benefits you is still a point of heated debate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting... [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your probably right....I debated if I should post this question in the first place...I will do a forum search...

Thanks!
-J

-Jenn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Not too many years ago, the idea of an endurance athlete like a cyclist, triathlete, or runner hitting the weights was almost unheard of. Why, everyone knows that weight training will make you big, bulky, and slow, right? Well, believe it or not, endurance athletes are lifting weights to improve performance. Want to know which ones? It's easy to tell: the ones with the medals hanging around their necks and mantles full of trophies."

http://www.t-nation.com/...Article.do?id=462175
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this from Andy Cpggan cuts to the heart of the matter.

In Reply To
Perhaps at this point our sports scientist friend Andy Coggan can give us some rules of thumb for how to define "trained" or "competitive" athletes, I think that would help clear some things up.[/reply]
Allow me to answer it this way: subjects who have been training regularly on the bike for several years in preparation for competition have not experienced any benefits as a result of the addition of weight training to their program. OTOH, individuals who have only been riding an ergometer 3 d/wk for 3 mo (i.e., those in Hickson's study) have. Where the dividing line between these two situations falls cannot be determined at the present time.

end quote

So to me it boils down to where you fall in the trained vs untrained spectrum, unfortunately if you are in between there isn't enough data yet to make the fine distinction. So for those of us in between we are left with best coaching judgement, which is why the fightds erupt. Either side can say anything without much data to show one way or another.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting... [adal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you meant to make your post pink, right?

An article posted in Testosterone Nation MAY not be the most accurate and reliable information. And even if it's accurate and reliable, it certainly has it's bias leaning in one particular direction.

Last edited by: brandonecpt: Nov 1, 07 11:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.crossfit.com

-------------------------
"I like to start out slow, and then taper off."

-Doug Thorne (TVHS XC)
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting... [Xterraguy15-19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check this out too. I am going to be the first one to sound the cannon in this war:

http://www.socaltriathlon.com/article_8018.html

In no way do I think leg presses or bench presses will do you any good in triathlon. You aren't gonna swim/bike/run any faster if you go do any machines either.

-------------------------
"I like to start out slow, and then taper off."

-Doug Thorne (TVHS XC)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely - lift weights, lots of weights. Every day, lift the weights.

Ask Klehner about the best weights to lift. (is it the squats or the preacher curls that really push your performance envelope to 11)?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Absolutely - lift weights, lots of weights. Every day, lift the weights.

Ask Klehner about the best weights to lift. (is it the squats or the preacher curls that really push your performance envelope to 11)?
11 is so yesterday. My squat rack goes to 12.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me lifting weights is a lifestyle, it is as necessary and natural as brushing my teeth and drinking coffee in the morning.

Away from that, for any aging, female or weaker (aka strength or strength endurance limited) athlete, it is simply the easiest legal way to boost performance, recovery (by increasing Growth hormono and testosterone levels) and health (by avoiding overuse injuries).

Sure younger, male athletes with naturally high testosterone levelels don't profit that much and maybe some "supplementation" is as effective, but I would rather give up cycling and swimming than lifting.

If on a businnes travel week only 5 hours of training are left, I will still do 2*30min of weights, best bang for the buck, doesnt take much time and keeps me fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"for any aging, female or weaker (aka strength or strength endurance limited) athlete"

Did you just lump together weaklings, old people, and women? ;-)

"
it is simply the easiest legal way to boost performance"

Which performance metric? All of them? Speed? Endurance? Or just strength?

"
and health (by avoiding overuse injuries)"

Are you saying lifting weights won't cause overuse injuries like endurance training will? If so, I beg to differ.

"Sure younger, male athletes with naturally high testosterone levels don't profit that much and maybe some "supplementation" is as effective, but I would rather give up cycling and swimming than lifting"

But does your theory of health and fitness align with the OP?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
it is simply the easiest legal way to boost...recovery (by increasing Growth hormono and testosterone levels)
This is b.s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The answer is a simple YES!! You should not only be lifting weights only in the off-seaons, but year around. Of course you will cut back some during the season, but why would you stop? I would dare you to find one professional athlete of any sport that does no weight lifting.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting... [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
it is simply the easiest legal way to boost...recovery (by increasing Growth hormono and testosterone levels)
This is b.s.

Maybe for you, for me it works ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting... [tuby4life] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I would dare you to find one professional athlete of any sport that does no weight lifting.
There are numerous professional cyclists, as well as numerous professional runners, who do not lift weights. Even if that weren't true, however, your claim provides absolutely no evidence of the efficacy of weight training for endurance athletes.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Nov 1, 07 13:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
This is b.s.

Maybe for you, for me it works ;-)
You may think it works for you, but it's still b.s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you still promote this:

"Lift: 20-40 sets of 25-30 reps - a good rep of 2 seconds" - from a post of yours back in Dec '06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"for any aging, female or weaker (aka strength or strength endurance limited) athlete"

Did you just lump together weaklings, old people, and women? ;-)

"
it is simply the easiest legal way to boost performance"

Which performance metric? All of them? Speed? Endurance? Or just strength?

"
and health (by avoiding overuse injuries)"

Are you saying lifting weights won't cause overuse injuries like endurance training will? If so, I beg to differ.

"Sure younger, male athletes with naturally high testosterone levels don't profit that much and maybe some "supplementation" is as effective, but I would rather give up cycling and swimming than lifting"

But does your theory of health and fitness align with the OP?

ad 1: The point is, people with lower natural testosterone gaining more from lifting (as natural muscle loss is not an issue for people (young males) with high t-levels)

ad 2: I like olympic lifting training, so speed (explosive), flexibility and strength.

ad 3: Yep, if you do good exercises (not the smith machine with eleveted heels crap) in good form, this avoids injuries by ensuring a balanced muscle development - swimming for the upper body alone is not very balanced. Strength training alone of course also leads to injuries, but adding 2*60 minutes of strength (balanced, good exercise selection) can IMHO help avoiding overuse injuries.

ad 4: I think so, I consider lifting more important for women and I think most athletes profit from it. And last not least it is very time efficient. If I have only a few hours to train, with 2*60 minutes per week you can still improve strength, speed, flexibility, and avoid the loss of muscle mass.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting... [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you do any weight lifting yourself?? Doesn't sound like it. I just finsihed reading an article by Juan Carlos Santana on the benefits of strength training for triathletes in the NSCA bulletin. Have you never stepped foot in a collegiate athletic facility or the olympic training center? You will find athletes from all sports strength training. Whether it be a power clean or core work using medicine balls, strength training is used and needed by anyone wanting to acheive optimal results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do you do any weight lifting yourself?? Doesn't sound like it. I just finsihed reading an article by Juan Carlos Santana on the benefits of strength training for triathletes in the NSCA bulletin. Have you never stepped foot in a collegiate athletic facility or the olympic training center? You will find athletes from all sports strength training. Whether it be a power clean or core work using medicine balls, strength training is used and needed by anyone wanting to acheive optimal results.

All everyone's ever argued is that the cycling benefits related to weight training are questionable at best.

If you want to hit the weights for general well being, quality of life, performance in other sports, etc. Have at it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do you do any weight lifting yourself?? Doesn't sound like it.

Why do you say that? I never commented one way or the other re. my personal exercise regimen.

Anyway, to answer your question: for at least ~30 y, I have typically lifted weights 3 d/wk for 3 mo each winter, although some years I have not lifted weights at all, and other times I've lifted weights every other day for >12 mo continuously.

In Reply To:
I just finsihed reading an article by Juan Carlos Santana on the benefits of strength training for triathletes in the NSCA bulletin.

Who is Juan Carlos Santana?

In Reply To:
Have you never stepped foot in a collegiate athletic facility or the olympic training center?

As a matter of fact, I've done both - I've even lectured several times to coaches at the OTC in Colorado Springs.

In Reply To:
You will find athletes from all sports strength training. Whether it be a power clean or core work using medicine balls, strength training is used and needed by anyone wanting to acheive optimal results.

Used, yes - but needed by endurance athletes? Where's the evidence?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do you still promote this:

"Lift: 20-40 sets of 25-30 reps - a good rep of 2 seconds" - from a post of yours back in Dec '06

Didn't promote it, but cited gordo and doubted, that this kind of session can be finished in the 45 minutes recommended.

IMHO too much volume, to many reps, too many sets ...

If I lift, I lift for strength, speed and mobility - muscular endurance or endurance might be trained better "on the road".
Quote Reply

Prev Next