Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wearing an Aero Helmet with a Road Bike
Quote | Reply
I don't have the funds for a Tri bike (Possibly next year). But wanted advice on using an LG Rocket Air Aero Helmet with a road bike for a 1/2 IM next month. Yea or Nea?

A little background, I have been fitted on my road bike & do NOT have aero bars. I ride about 60~100miles per week... Last year I completed 5 Olympic events & one 1/2 IM.

Would you suggest riding 1/2 IM with no aero bars & an aero helmet?
Quote Reply
Re: Wearing an Aero Helmet with a Road Bike [TriJunkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a tough one. The aero helmet alone will make a very small difference...small enough that you probably won't care (judging by the fact that you take a relatively relaxed approach to triathlon...at least from the bike selection $ standpoint).

But if you already own an aero helmet and not aero bike stuff (that would be unusual) I'd say go ahead if you want a few extra seconds--theoretically.

It might look a little bit embarrassing to wear the helmet riding your road bike, but you may not care about what others think.

If you don't yet own the helmet and have the $100+ to spend, get aerobars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carlos Sastre did just that on the ITT of the Giro yesterday.
http://cyclingnews.com/...photo_0039104_1_full

Work hard, but with a purpose!!!
http://www.vo2tc.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can buy an aero bar clip on that retails for like $70 new and you can find cheap ones used...

And then you can use the aero helmet.

I just did FL70.3 this past weekend...and I had this set up

I switched my road bars for a aero set up.... instead of adding clip ons

and since CDA is hilly you might benefit in the climbs by having a road bike...

LEo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll say this:

If you have the $140 to buy a hemet, spend it on shorty bars for your bike. You will gain more time from the aero position than you will from the helmet.

If you already have the helmet and no funds, were your regular cycling helmet. Minus the aero position, I don't think the hemet will have you more than a couple of seconds unless you ride the drops the whole time.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Re: Wearing an Aero Helmet with a Road Bike [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

If you don't yet own the helmet and have the $100+ to spend, get aerobars.
That's a tough one. From an overall aerodynamics standpoint, I say aerobars over aero helmet for sure. The helmet will bring a nominal drag reduction, but you will still have to contend with the excess of frontal area exposed. But $100 aerobars without a good fitting (~$100) might prove to be ineffective (or even problematic). If money is a real issue, then save your bucks for next year - the helmet alone won't buy you enough advantage. If you can float it, go for the aerobars AND a pro fitting.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found the bike pic was still in my camera...

LEo
Quote Reply