Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wearing Glucose Monitor, am I trying to avoid peaks/throughs
Quote | Reply
So for simplicity lets say my normal blood glucose is 100. If I'm playing with nutrition am I trying to keep my BS -100, above 100 or a % above 100 to achieve best performance results (I don't give a shit if I bump my BS up to have the great performance). As I'm playing with nutrition I 'feel' my best power #'s when my BS is about 160 ish, but may not be sustainable for a full distance IM.?

Now, I know it may be healthier to run the 100 BS consistently, but what would yield the best performance results?
Quote Reply
Re: Wearing Glucose Monitor, am I trying to avoid peaks/throughs [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this is a "typical ST response", but why not ask your endocrinologist?

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Wearing Glucose Monitor, am I trying to avoid peaks/throughs [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m guessing he’s not diabetic but wearing a Super Sapiens sensor or Libre sensor and trying to figure out if he is faster with a higher blood glucose.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Wearing Glucose Monitor, am I trying to avoid peaks/throughs [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's my understanding that those sensors are not directly measuring blood glucose since it's not invasive.

Therefore, if that is true, it's akin to having a power meter that is accurate to +/- 10%, 15% or worse.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Wearing Glucose Monitor, am I trying to avoid peaks/throughs [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They measure interstitial fluid. A filament is put into the skin via a needle. They offer about a 15 minute delay on what blood glucose levels are.

They can read really inaccurately also at times. I’m a type 1 diabetic and was using one recently and it was reading levels around 6-8 mmol/L less than what my blood sugars were. Which is a huge difference when you consider normal range for blood sugars is 5 to 9.

As I understand it this can be due to pressure on the sensor, putting sensor in similar place as previous sensors and other things like that. I think they are really pointless for non-diabetics as they are not cheap if you don’t have them on prescription.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nobody knows the answer to this question yet. Lots of smart minds and deep pockets are trying to figure it out. Many marketing departments will tell you they know the answer. There are SO many good questions yet to even be asked.

The answer for optimizing performance is almost certainly above 100 for most folks. I'd bet it's also a relatively steady value but that a range is reasonably optimal. Yes, avoiding massive troughs is probably valuable for performance. I doubt peaks are harmful so long as there's no trough that follows. It won't surprise me at all if we find in 10+ years that a positive rate of change of blood sugar is associated with peak performance, rather than some stable high value. There is a similar finding in the literature on stimulants and cognitive performance IIRC. As in, maybe 120 is optimal throughout the race but that if you can ramp blood sugar towards the finish, especially where higher cognitive demand is needed (sprinting) then maybe there's increased performance with a blood sugar ramp over 20 minutes.

Whether the optimal value is 105, 120, or 160... is probably highly individual and we're at least 5 years from figuring it out with a high level of certainty. Maybe 10-15 years when you consider that the mechanism of elevating the blood glucose itself can be so confounding to performance outcomes (causative of gut distress). This may be an area where some tech startup (possibly ours) figures it out faster than the research community, because of the growing ease of access to huge amounts of athlete data. I'll let you know what we find, when we find it. We're in a SAFE note funding round at the moment so development & partnerships stand to accelerate.

PS. [soapbox warning] The primary harm risk to the pancreas appears to be regular rapid insulin production, and that doesn't happen during exercise. Therefore, you and everyone are correct not to worry about increasing blood sugar during exercise, as far as the evidence and mechanistic understanding of T2D risk stands today.

The epidemiological evidence strongly confirms. As in, folks that only spike blood sugar during exercise have a near zero incidence of type 2 diabetes.

There are lots of well-funded marketing departments that intend to convince folks otherwise. "Learn what foods spike your insulin today!" implying or outright stating that all incidences of high blood sugar are bad. Thankfully, that's false. :)

My recommendation: Don't purchase CGMs unless your personal MD tells you it's medically advisable. If you do use them, just use it with the understanding that you're mostly contributing to some company's research on blood sugar's actual relationship to performance and disease, and not to make well-informed decisions yourself, as much as their app might help you feel like you are, because we know very very little about what is actually optimal for performance or health. :)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Wearing Glucose Monitor, am I trying to avoid peaks/throughs [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome information as always Alex! Can similar precautions be made for the marketing of the sweat patches? I see various advice, from one can't replace by mouth what comes out in sweat to it's something we can't live without.....

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Wearing Glucose Monitor, am I trying to avoid peaks/throughs [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GREAT information thank you

Can you say a bit more about caffeine? The same you think ramping up during the latter part of a race is good?

I take 400mg 1 hour before beginning of a 3 hour race

Maybe it would be better to take 200 at 1 hour ahead and then another 200 at say 1.5 hours into the race to catch the peak 30 mins before the end?
Last edited by: MrTri123: Dec 24, 23 5:52
Quote Reply
Re: Wearing Glucose Monitor, am I trying to avoid peaks/throughs [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
They measure interstitial fluid. A filament is put into the skin via a needle. They offer about a 15 minute delay on what blood glucose levels are.

They can read really inaccurately also at times. I’m a type 1 diabetic and was using one recently and it was reading levels around 6-8 mmol/L less than what my blood sugars were. Which is a huge difference when you consider normal range for blood sugars is 5 to 9.

As I understand it this can be due to pressure on the sensor, putting sensor in similar place as previous sensors and other things like that. I think they are really pointless for non-diabetics as they are not cheap if you don’t have them on prescription.

A lot can go wrong in 15 minutes. They are worse than pointless, IMO, whether you're buying them or getting them given to you by the boatload.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Nobody knows the answer to this question yet. Lots of smart minds and deep pockets are trying to figure it out. Many marketing departments will tell you they know the answer. There are SO many good questions yet to even be asked.

The answer for optimizing performance is almost certainly above 100 for most folks. I'd bet it's also a relatively steady value but that a range is reasonably optimal. Yes, avoiding massive troughs is probably valuable for performance. I doubt peaks are harmful so long as there's no trough that follows. It won't surprise me at all if we find in 10+ years that a positive rate of change of blood sugar is associated with peak performance, rather than some stable high value. There is a similar finding in the literature on stimulants and cognitive performance IIRC. As in, maybe 120 is optimal throughout the race but that if you can ramp blood sugar towards the finish, especially where higher cognitive demand is needed (sprinting) then maybe there's increased performance with a blood sugar ramp over 20 minutes.

Whether the optimal value is 105, 120, or 160... is probably highly individual and we're at least 5 years from figuring it out with a high level of certainty. Maybe 10-15 years when you consider that the mechanism of elevating the blood glucose itself can be so confounding to performance outcomes (causative of gut distress). This may be an area where some tech startup (possibly ours) figures it out faster than the research community, because of the growing ease of access to huge amounts of athlete data. I'll let you know what we find, when we find it. We're in a SAFE note funding round at the moment so development & partnerships stand to accelerate.

PS. [soapbox warning] The primary harm risk to the pancreas appears to be regular rapid insulin production, and that doesn't happen during exercise. Therefore, you and everyone are correct not to worry about increasing blood sugar during exercise, as far as the evidence and mechanistic understanding of T2D risk stands today.

The epidemiological evidence strongly confirms. As in, folks that only spike blood sugar during exercise have a near zero incidence of type 2 diabetes.

There are lots of well-funded marketing departments that intend to convince folks otherwise. "Learn what foods spike your insulin today!" implying or outright stating that all incidences of high blood sugar are bad. Thankfully, that's false. :)

My recommendation: Don't purchase CGMs unless your personal MD tells you it's medically advisable. If you do use them, just use it with the understanding that you're mostly contributing to some company's research on blood sugar's actual relationship to performance and disease, and not to make well-informed decisions yourself, as much as their app might help you feel like you are, because we know very very little about what is actually optimal for performance or health. :)

Appreciate the feedback. I don't have diabetes, but wearing the CGM is more for my own knowledge. I've been able to see what certain breakfasts do to my daily BS. When I'm able to avoid that low from spiking BS I feel better and find myself reaching for certain snacks here and there much less. Although I am probably not wearing a CGM for much longer I definitely recommend wearing one to see how foods affect us individually.
Quote Reply