Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
We need "Bad Job" Hecklers. Not "Good Job" liars.
Quote | Reply
Whether its a marathon or make that half marathon (my longest) or a triathlon, I am sick and tired of being told I'm doing a "good job" by these race helpers, when I'm not. I want to stop and sit there and argue with this person who, generallly has no clue about what's going on in the race, other than waiting on the last person to come by, so he or she can leave, and, for the most of them, this is just robotically mouthing out "good job," with no analysis at all.

"Now how in the hell could you possibly see I'm doing a good job, the sun is setting, and I'm making you stay longer out here than you thought, and its hot our here, don't you hate me?"

Enough of this. My thinking is that during desperate times, you don't want to be lied to, you want to be heckled, you want the ugly truth: or you are a simpleton. What participant "gets off" or "gets a buzz" over false accolades or false compliments. Maybe some people do, but I don't get it. How does that work? "I was feeling really tired there until I was told by one of the race helpers I was doing "a good job, then I picked it up."

Man, I don't think so.

And that goes for the people near me or behind me. We need to be told, "Everybody is packing up leaving at the transition area, you need to hurry up," or something like that. We need ugly hecklers at every mile marker. There's an open niche for this, if only this nice community would stop the "good job" people and replace them with the "bad job," hecklers.

"Guess what, slowass. They are shutting down the music back at the finish line and the door prizes have all been given out, you'd better hurry." Or.

"You look like Dave Scott, without the Dave and Scott."

"Look everybody, it's number #46, John Candy, back from the dead."

I could sit here and think up 300 of these insults.

I got absolutely nothing from being told I'm doing a "good job," when I am not. I would just prefer cruel insults, but that's just me.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Ze Gopha [ In reply to ]
Re: We need "Bad Job" Hecklers. Not "Good Job" liars. [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is someone a little cranky?
Quote Reply
Re: We need "Bad Job" Hecklers. Not "Good Job" liars. [Cyborg42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess so. I'm not sure. I've been screwed up in the head---make that, more screwed up in the head---since I watched a movie called "Gerry" on the Sundance channel.

I'm going to bed.
Quote Reply
Re: We need "Bad Job" Hecklers. Not "Good Job" liars. [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not many volunteers think about how rough it must be on the psyche of a triathlete to be out so late after the best laid plans. I'm all for the 'you suck so bad right now they oughta charge you double the entry fee for making me wait out here so long for you..it'll be next year before you finish' method. Thing is you have to make sure it's directed at the right kind of person. One of those on the edge type A personalities hears that after 15hrs and they are just as likely to go postal on the entire aid station as they are to do something about it within themselves. One of the best aid station cheer ups came a few years back when a bunch of local college girls held up a sign that said '2km to go smile if you're horny' Don't know of anyone who didn't smile. I got told it must be great to be a triathlete..you're all horny. Didn't make me run faster but it made me forget about the hurt for the next 2km.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can see where you are comming from, but for myself, in my first race I was one of the last swimmers out of the water and everyone told me "Great Job" and to keep going. That inspired me to catch all of the grandmothers that beat me out of the water. If they would have said "You stink" or "Get going cuz we're hungry" I probably wouldn't have done another race.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: We need "Bad Job" Hecklers. Not "Good Job" liars. [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, that's not a nice way to talk about booth's post. I was at leat going to tell him "Good job"! Actually, I thought it was very entertaining, how about we make a list of insulting cheers?

"My grandmother finished so long ago, her medal is already rusting"

"Why did you pay $400 to suffer through this race when I can suffer for free watching you?"

"The 24h races are for mountainbiking, not triathlon"

"Is this a good time to tell you about the benefits of training?"

"What took you so long? Forgot to bring a bike?"

"Ever considered lawn bowling?"

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know. People are just trying to encourage you. This is like the thread a while ago talking about saying "Good Pace!" or "Way to go" when passing or being passed. Some people like it, others don't. Ultimately, when people do that, they are trying to help you out and keep you going. You may not appreciate it, and that's okay, but this is one of those rare occasions where the people might just be sincere in their encouragement, and not just saying "Good job!" when they mean "You suck!"

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should not be so critical of someone that is trying to be decent and encourage you. Especially if they are a race volunteer and making sure that you have water, gatorade, etc at regular intervals so that you can finish a race. If it irritates you, use the irritation to run faster. Otherwise, say thank you like your mother taught you to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cute girls lifting their shirts would get me to go faster, especially if there was promise for more at the finish line. Otherwise, I generally ignore the "good job" cheers.

I used to overanalyse the cheers. I knew they were lying. So, I now shut them out, I carry my own fluids in shorter races (so I don't have to listen to them lie to me), and I have a better race. Of course it has been awhile since I have had a good race, or any racing at all (for that matter).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first Ironman was the 2001 Ironman Germany in Roth. I was on track for a sub 10-hour race and then my legs cramped up completely with 4k to go in the run due to a nutrition problem. I had to walk most of the last 4k slowly, even though I was in a competive position. I had all sorts of spectators who were sitting in cafe's eating Bratwursts and drinking coffees yelling at me to start running. Some of them didn't yell but tried to explain rationally that the finish was so close. Many of those guys were far from paragons of athleticism (to say the least). I actually thought it was pretty funny. Even then I could take a step back to see the whole picture--- A guy who has trained for 8 months with one thing in mind, 97% of the way to hitting his goal, devastated by the fact that his body has shut down and is not listening to reason, getting yelled at by some fat f**ker who is making his way through his third bratwurst of the afternoon.

I cracked me up and I still remember it and still get a kick out of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when I go by people they yell, "Go Tom!" then they tell the guy right behind me, "Catch Demerly!!!"

People love to hate me. It's funny. Like armstrong and the monkeys in "28 Days Later" I am infected with rage.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: We need "Bad Job" Hecklers. Not "Good Job" liars. [MarcK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the cheers - part of the fun of the whole event - I think it adds to my adrenaline and contributes to what makes a race different than a training day.

The one that gets me is the "you're almost there - it's around the next corner" kind of thing when you both know perfectly well there's another 3 painful miles ahead.
Quote Reply
Re: We need "Bad Job" Hecklers. Not "Good Job" liars. [irongeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This new practice they have at Ironman where they put your name on the race number is a good idea. People who have no idea are yelling "Go Tom! Go Yank!" (I had a U.S. flag on my uniform) and it really helps when you are hurting.

It is also really cool to be in a race and see guys you know and cheer them on. That is fun too. It takes a little extra wind, but its fun.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may want to learn to relax. People are trying to help. Learning to relax may help your open water swimming. If you relax you perform better.
Quote Reply
Re: We need "Bad Job" Hecklers. Not "Good Job" liars. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm don't think people hate you, your just famous. But, I did my best to catch you at Nankin Mills.
Quote Reply
Re: We need "Bad Job" Hecklers. Not "Good Job" liars. [MarcK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced the Toronto marathon in 1998 and it was one of the most humbling experiences of my athletic career. I was running with the lead group through the first 10 miles and then started to fall off a bit but was still fine. By the 35 k mark my quads cramped so badly (the race has lots of steep downhills and they did me in) that every time I tried to run I would get spasms. I spent the last 7.2k doing a shuffling sort of walk and ended up getting passed by all of the "pace bunnies" with their 3:00, 3:05, 3:10 ,etc signs on. I ended up in 3:26 and all along University Ave. there were people yelling encouragement .... "You're almost there, don't walk!". After trying to not "just walk" for the past hour I felt like strangling every wellwisher (of course they would have been able to get away from the slug shuffling along the road anyway) but in most races I welcome cheers of encouragement no matter how I'm feeling or looking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember finishing my IM. I remember thinking it was something special, the feeling that I was special, I had done something I never thought possible. This week-end I was at a sprint race. After I finished I went back out to cheer for the others. The last guy to leave the T2 was a heavy set fellow. I said good job to him and he beamed. I could tell he was feeling very proud. He looked at me and said I will finish. It was the same feeling I had during the IM only a different distance.

Tell yourself what you want but only say nice things to the racers or say nothing at all. By the way saying what you suggest would probably get you punched around here. : 0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, these are the things I hate about Tri's and Marathons. Here's two if my favorites.

The first one I could barely run as my back was wrecked from a crash and I could only walk the first 1/2 mile and told this cheering lady that I'm a cyclist only, next lap as I was finally jogging she yells "your not just a cyclist your a DUATHALETE". I nearly cried.

Same course I was running near a very lovely DUATHLETE and this lady over come with woman power chants at this passing chick "YOU ARE A STRONG WOMAN LET YOUR POWER ROAR" Barf

Keep it up, only 20 miles to go, nice body, want to rest? This is the limits of cheers I can tolerate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thoughts, every time I'm slogging on towards the finish line as the faster finishers, having had two beers, a post-race meal and a massage, cheerfully say, "nice job, you're looking good", is that they are also thinking "but I did a much better job, kicked your ass and looked better than you". They are, in fact complimenting themselves on having done a better race than me.

But that's OK as long as they saved at least one beer for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being one of the last five people in my age group in every event I have done, I am one of the ones who get the late "Good Jobs". I appreciate every one of them. I am also consious of the effort the volunteers make and thank them all as I waddle by.

On a funny note, I was the penultimate finisher at IMFL last November, and while I received many good jobs from volunteers and strangers, I don't remember any of them. But this one woman in her fifties who was helping with traffic at about mile 16.5 of the run looked at her watch and said, "You better hurry up". Now her, I remember !

The Cuban Comet
(Comets are unbelievably slow over Cuba)
Quote Reply
Buddy of mine [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who was taking his sweet time in IMFL, told me of this conversation w/ a friend and experienced tri-coach, during T2:
"How ya feelin'?"
-Good, OK
"Seriously, how ya feelin'?"
-Good
"Then get off your ass and run, you're wasting time!"

He made the cutoff by a few minutes.

Cheers, tbo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And another thing! Do you people really need to do your cooldown run on the same course I am trying to finish on? It is a great diversion for me to try to calculate how long ago you finished. 20 minutes? 30? An hour? And how much faster you are than me. Way? Way way? Incredibly? And that you still have the energy to cool down at faster than my race pace. Just try saying, "Looking good!" to me and they'll never find the body!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replies that keep the cheering crowds guessing:

"Looking good!!!" - "You don't mean me!!!"

"One more mile!!!" - "One more than I need today!!!"

"Last mile!!!" - "Of my life!!!"

"Almost done!!!" - "No, I'm Done. Trust me!!!"

Oddly, the more I externalize how badly I feel, the better I actually begin to feel.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: We need "Bad Job" Hecklers. Not "Good Job" liars. [davejakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hee-hee. Last duathlon I did, I noticed this very fit looking woman in street clothes cheering us on while we were coming out of t2.

I was having a good race for me (finished 5th in my age group). It was totally demoralizing for me to see this same woman go up and collect her 1st place plaque. It was like she finished, showered, changed, ate, and came out to cheer us on out of t2.

Bitch.
Quote Reply

Prev Next