Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
We Have A Winner - OTish
Quote | Reply
I work in an investment bank in New York City. First off, all the things you have heard are true, most of them I have witnessed first hand or had detailed to me through trusted parties. We are talking about obscene work hours, public floggings, whimsical firings, gluttony, greed, mayhem, sheer stupidity, you name it. That said, it’s not nearly as bad as it was in the glory years (late 80s and late 90s). That’s simply because the more nefarious characters have gone to jail.

One of the joys of working in an investment bank is that you get to observe a species of human called "the analyst". Generally speaking i-banking analysts are top of their class academically but are otherwise warped (as I will soon demonstrate). Basically analysts make more money then 90% of the population but they live, sleep, eat and breath the business, doing stupid things for their bosses along the way. Typically analysts work 100+ hour weeks, consume all meals on premise, pull at least one all nighter a week, work 360 days a year, and generally walk around in a sleep deprived state propped up by deal frenzy, caffeine and the knowledge that their bonus check will be fat. If they go home it is only to change clothes and shower. When these animals are able to escape the cage they drink to excess. An analyst is not allowed to get sick so generally he/she (and we have female analysts) maintains a blood level toxicity so high that no bacteria or virus could possibly survive in their blood stream. They don’t exercise or go to the gym. All right you get the picture.

Anyway, analysts are prone to one-upmanship and doing idiotic things unprompted. Most of these things start out with some line that translates into “anything you can do I can do better”. Then an overpaid and underworked Vice President (like myself) gets involved to structure the bet and an Associate is assigned to monitor and keep records of true heroic performances.

The case of the “breakfast sandwich consumption challenge" began innocuously – “I can eat more bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches then you in a week” . Not satisfied with that, one of our VPs crafted it into an endurance challenge – race to 100, not more then 2 sandwiches day, sandwich must have AT LEAST one complete egg (no egg whites only), one source of pork fat, cheese and two slices of a bread commodity. This definition was subsequently modified to include the McGriddle, which is the standard ante.

So as you might expect we hit 50 work days with two of analysts tied at 100 so we rolled it to 200, then 300, then 400 and finally 500. I am pleased to announce that our analyst Slovenly Shawn ate 500 breakfast sandwiches in 262 working days to best Jedi-Warrior Josh who was stuck on 230. Truly IM worthy. So if you think posting pictures of your wives, sisters, daughters, etc. is sick – think about cowboying up to nearly a year of McGriddle two-a-days.
Last edited by: bryanjaf: Dec 7, 04 12:47
Quote Reply
Re: We Have A Winner - OTish [bryanjaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Must be Morgan Stanley.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: We Have A Winner - OTish [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when i was interviewing at morgan one guy said to me "the best thing about morgan stanley is that when you are here at 3:00 a.m. there is a critical mass of your friends here to help you." that ended that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Good stuff Bryan! Do these Analysts ever just explode and flame out? I can't imagine such a life. Probably spend little time outside, have blood pressure through the roof and heart disease on the way. Do you think they ever wonder if the big bonus will be worth it when then are horizontal in the ICU after a bypass at age 40? I did enjoy your story though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to hear you had sense at a young age.

Hmm, not Morgan? Still definitely NY as that level of stupidity would be rare outside the bravado-rich NYC. I'd go with SSB if it were back in the day, but I don't think the Citi guys are of that same ilk today. Hmm, hmm, hmm. Definitely not Goldman, as that would be bad form for such a proper firm.

You'd be nuts to reveal the firm anyway, so I won't try to guess from here.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Quote Reply
Re: We Have A Winner - OTish [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they are prone to short term thinking. they have to be. being an analyst gets them into a top business school and pretty much any finance related job after the fact so they come out happy, if fat and unhealthy. the interesting thing is that none of our analysts smokes during the day, which i find surprising, they say they have no time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine was in m&a at a NYC investment bank. Insane hours, constant travel, major big bucks. His place on the upper west side was to die for - can't imagine what you'd pay for a 3 story home on 82nd - or was it 78th? Whatever, I forget. It was incredible. His vacations were always spectacular - Patagonia, Tibet, islands I'd never heard of before.

He finally decided he'd had enough. Quit his job earlier this year to spend a year traveling - Southeast Asia - Vietman, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, among other countries, New Zealand, Australia, and wrapping up the year in Tahiti. A major adventure, in my books.

Doesn't seem concerned yet about what he'll do when he returns.

I guess there is an upside to the craziness of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
after the bonus check gets cashed on jan 15th, i will tell all if you catch my drift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coincidence... quite likely the same here ~Feb 15th.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's hilarious...

It reminds me of a couple of contests held at my old firm:
  1. Two guys would stand about ten feet apart in a hallway and bean each other with a lacrosse ball (no dodging was allowed. If a foot moved, that person lost.) Whoever quit first had to go get lunch...
  2. A very petite woman challenged a huge guy (former D-lineman at a D1 shool) to a milk-drinking contest. Whoever puked first would be the other's "bitch" for a week. Somewhat predictably, the smaller stomach lost.

Last edited by: GJB: Dec 7, 04 13:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to work with a burned-out bond trader/quant whose hobby was destroying the career of anyone who disagreed with him in meetings, even if he knew he was wrong. You're right on the money about the drinking, but (perhaps intentionally) left out their other indiscretions. The guy I'm talking about kept moving from state to state, firm to firm, because he had a bad habit of sleeping with all available women in the firm, as well as some unavailable women. This guy is married with six kids.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where are we riding?
Quote Reply
Re: We Have A Winner - OTish [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
those kids are afriad of the postman let alone the boggie man. as was once said "once you get higher in the food chaing you get a higher food chain".

i think i once knew your friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great story - I read "Liars Poker" years ago - similiar stories of gluttony! Interns made to go out and get 5lb tubs of guacomole and chips for the Analysts. That made me know I did not belong in that world. I am happy working 50 hours a week and having a life!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I got out of the Marines in 1979, I had a job interview with Irving Trust. The lady who interviewed me asked me right up front if I would enjoy that lifestyle. I said no, and so we mutually ended the interview. I never regretted it, esp., when I hear stories such as yours.

My favorite office contest involved a real heavy guy who worked in our office. He was the kind of guy that "family-style/all you can eat" places don't let in anymore after one or two times. He would come in about once a year and announce he was going on a diet. One of our managers would say, "I bet you $100 you can't lose ten pounds." The fat guy had to weigh in every day and log his "progress" on a graph for all the office to see. He always ended up gaining weight instead of losing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You aren't kidding, those stories are true. I worked as a bond trader for an IB or two in Chicago and in Tokyo. I saw things I wouldn't tell anyone outside the "community" for fear they would think I was crazy. Some of these guys were certifiably insane! The food bets were the funniest, though. Betting thousands of dollars on whether or not you could eat five pieces of plain bread in 60 seconds(try it...it's ridiculous); how many Big Macs in ten minutes; or having everyone "expectorate" in a cup, then offer to pay thousands to have someone drink it.....horrible, horrible stuff. This was at work.

Then there were the parties....

Dan
póg mo thóin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a waay cool story. I have always had a soft spot in my heart for degenerate gamblers. I don't know why.

Minor factual quibble: analysts make more $ than all but 1% of the non-NBA public. Expand that worldwide and the # changes to about the top 0.0001%.

Makes me harken back to the halcyon days of Micheal Lewis's Liars Poker (sitll worth a read and relevant today).

Best,
Paul
Quote Reply
Re: We Have A Winner - OTish [dteed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have a hard and fast rule -- no socializing with anyone in the office. i don't want to know what fetishes these folks have.

"sorry, can't gotta ride tomorrow." they've heard it a thousand times. thankfully it works.
Last edited by: bryanjaf: Dec 7, 04 12:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sausage McGriddle.. 560 Calories,, 32 grams of fat -EACH..

ouch...

Dragging in out for a year, rather than making it a one week contest is especially cruel.
Quote Reply
Re: We Have A Winner - OTish [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When it got slow, we did play liar's poker.....it was a lot of fun. When the floor traders read about the guy who's goal was to have more boats than suits, it suddenly became the greatest achievement you could possibly think of.

Their life's achievement could read something like:

# of boats># of suits>common sense.

Dan
póg mo thóin
Quote Reply
Re: We Have A Winner - OTish [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
remember they are jacking two of these a day more or less. one day they may sue the guy who structured the bet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Certainly not MS in Europe - I had two years there - very dull.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a nice bet a guy in my brother's office tried:

All day to eat everything (candy bars, certs, chex mix) in the vending machine.

Sounds easy but my brother said the guy couldn't do it.
Quote Reply
Re: We Have A Winner - OTish [kac94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of each or everything?
Quote Reply
Re: We Have A Winner - OTish [kac94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's like the $20 taco bell challenge. never seen anyone eat $20 of taco bell in one sitting. can't be done.
Quote Reply

Prev Next