Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Watch recommendation for 100/100 challenge (with auto upload)
Quote | Reply
Hi

I have joined the 100/100 challenge, had until I joined only entered my data into a Google Sheet. I have an old 910XT that has lost some battery performance so might be time for an upgrade. Also lost the ANT stick so I cant upload from the watch.

Seeking recommendations for a watch that:
- i dont know if wrist hrm is reliable, i run today with a strap of course. This is important, i only run based on hrm,
- can show 4 data point at the same time (as can the 910xt), I run with time, hr, avg hr and avg tempo
- can upload automatically to Strava (or other platforms) if that is even possible when I come home and the watch connect my Wifi or bluetooth. So no cables.
- is possibly smaller / more everyday like than the 910xt
- not interested in super advanced (and thus expensive) watches

Thanks

Br Henke
Last edited by: henkedejk: Jan 9, 20 23:32
Quote Reply
Re: Watch recommendation for 100/100 challenge (with auto upload) [henkedejk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, the overriding question is: do you need a multisport watch, or is a running watch sufficient?

None of the new watches are economical. But, I had a 735XT and totally loved it. Checks all of your boxes. All of my friends with 735XT watches wear them as everyday watches.

For economical-ish running watches you can wear everyday, the Garmin 245 and Vivoactive 3 watches are pretty cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Watch recommendation for 100/100 challenge (with auto upload) [henkedejk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I THINK you have the ability to override wrist HR on most newer Garmin models with your own chest strap/optical monitor - so I wouldn't rule out watches just bc they have wrist based hr. I way overbought, but I know the Fenix 6 has that capability as the hr I'm displaying is based off of my scosche which I've paired.

I believe you can find Fenix 5 series watches for around $300, which will be more watch for around the same price as many tri/sport specific watches if you care to go that route.
Quote Reply
Re: Watch recommendation for 100/100 challenge (with auto upload) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say no: I dont need a multisport watch with all sorts of advanced swimming stuff.

Will look into the 735xt, that is fairly cheap also here i Euro-country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
henkedejk wrote:
I would say no: I dont need a multisport watch with all sorts of advanced swimming stuff.
Interestingly, most of Garmin's running watches can capture swimming and cycling activities. What makes a multisport is that it has an activity that combines the three disciplines into a single activity.

Vols wrote:
I THINK you have the ability to override wrist HR on most newer Garmin models with your own chest strap/optical monitor - so I wouldn't rule out watches just bc they have wrist based hr.
Yes, all of the Garmin watches with optical HRM will default to an external HRM if you use one. I have only used my external HRM with my Garmin watches. The optical senors are a nice to have as a backup, though. (You cannot buy a modern watch without optical HRM, so it is kind of a moot issue.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up the fenix 5 for $299 from mybikeshop.com last week based off a recommendation here, then put a $10 aftermarket strap on it from Amazon so it is a flashy neon green. It's my first smart type multi-sport watch. Based on using it the last week for running I would say it would meet all of your demands and then more. One feature I like is the aftermarket watch faces that can be customized to display what metrics you want. You can also use the app to go through and hide features and activities you never use, so you aren't scrolling through pointless things when trying to start your trail run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to go really economical, get a fist generation Vivoactive (~$50-60USD on eBay). The GPS works well, and it will pick up any ANT+ HRM strap (it doesn't have built in optical). Battery life is about 6hrs with GPS, and about a week w/o.

It's thin enough to be a reasonable everyday watch as well.

I used this watch for years; just recently upgraded to a Fenix5 so I can sync with PMs. Cam Wurf actually used one for his run at Kona.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin Vivoactive 3 is on close out for as little as $117. Recently got one to replace both my everyday wristwatch and my old 310XT for running. It will do everything you want. It's not a full-on multi-sport watch, but it can be also be used for basic cycling (no power, though), lap swimming, and a number of other activities.

I was skeptical of the optical HR as well, but I did a few treadmill runs with both the Vivoactive and the 310XT with a Garmin chest strap, and the HR numbers were pretty much the same. If you're still not sold, you can override the optical sensor with data from a chest strap.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jan 10, 20 16:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin forerunner 45.
Quote Reply
Re: Watch recommendation for 100/100 challenge (with auto upload) [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all, been looking at the different suggestions. 735xt is available 220 dollars here in Denmark, and I like that watch. Seems to do everything, is quite small. I think i will go that route.

The FR45 is a little bit cheaper, FR235 was the same price, FR945 is 600, Fenix 5 is 450 (if you buy stuff from us as euro-guy you will be hit with 19-25% vat plus some small import duties (plus usually expensive shipping), so rarely a good option)..
Last edited by: henkedejk: Jan 10, 20 21:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all, new Garmin FR 735XT is setup with Connect, link to Strava and link to Slowtwitch from there. And first run completed and uploaded automatically to the challenge.

Really like the watch: very light (but also becaus of that perhaps a little bit cheap feel), not too big, much better screen that the 910, but really the same simple menu setup and no touch screen. Exactly what if was looking for, thanks for inputs.
Quote Reply