Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Watch out worlds, here come the Americans....
Quote | Reply
Just an observation here, now that the offical team usa is posted on the USAT website. For those that thought that there wouldn't be much of an increase in team size because of the honesty and integrety of the athletes, WRONG!!! I'm looking at the mens 40 to 49 age groups, and it appears we will have about 90 athletes just in those two categories. The womens look similar in numbers. In a qualifying process there would have been 32 athletes, so it's about triple the numbers. Not quite so many more in the others, but way more than there would have been.I figure the team will be a little over double the size.. Welcome aboard everyone, drinks should be on the USA this year, it's the least we can do for clogging up the rest of the world teams heats....They aren't too happy about what we've done here.....
Quote Reply
Re: Watch out worlds, here come the Americans.... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you find the complete roster? I could only find an incomplete one.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Re: Watch out worlds, here come the Americans.... [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you go to the USAT homepage, one of the latest articles announces the selection is over. From that page you can acess all the qualifyiers... IS Joe going this year???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. We are planning on it. Hopefully I can stay healthy enough to go too.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry Monty, the Brits are overfilling their team with reserves as well and they don't have half as good a reason as the good ol USA.

It's funny but words like integrity and honesty don't really come to mind when talking about the sport of triathlon and the ITU.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't look at the other age groups, but in mine (F50-54) I saw a number of people who entered that had no chance making the team under normal circumstances. I had researched their rankings, and the results submitted thus far for 2005. What I found in my rankings research that a few people had Olympic times well over 3:00 hours including someone with a 72 minute 10K run. There were also a few people who had no Olympic distance results and their scores came from nothing but sprints.

On the other hand I found some awesome athletes who would have done very well in Kansas City, and easily made the team. Personally I felt I was going to be on the cusp this year. I didn't think I was going to be able to repeat the Top 10 I did in Shreveport last year. I felt with a good swim, and bike, and minimizing the damage inflicted on the run I had a decent chance of getting one of the passdown slots since since some of the Shreveport Qualifiers were racing in KC.

For me this is going to be my National Championship, and a chance to prove to myself that I deserved a shot. I've got some work to do in the next few weeks. Hopefully I can do some serious ass kickin' on the bike.

Tri-ing for a cure.

NYtrigal's Team in Training Page

Quote Reply
Re: Watch out worlds, here come the Americans.... [NYtrigal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
For me this is going to be my National Championship, and a chance to prove to myself that I deserved a shot. I've got some work to do in the next few weeks. Hopefully I can do some serious ass kickin' on the bike.
NYtrigal good on you for going over and good luck but it is a shame that other athletes who were expecting to compete in a World CHampionship race have to race around us running our National Champs. Oh well we are the US of A....so everyone get out of the wayyyyyyy (I'm a poet and I didn't even know it!!!)
Quote Reply
Re: Watch out worlds, here come the Americans.... [Big Boy 1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm one of the unworthy going in my oversaturated F40-44 age group. I don't know and haven't and won't check to see how I stack up against the orther "chicks" but I know what I really, really hope. I hope that myself and my fellow americans make a huge effort to be polite, gracious hosts. I hope that while competing aggressively we are well aware that our numbers are infringing on other countries and may create some negative sentiment. I know that sentiment may not be fair for the Shreveport qualifiers but, especially for the KC "qualifiers" I hope that's how we behave.

A little preachy but that's what I hope, I've been embarrassed by fellow Americans behavior waaay to many times.

Pat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Despite Kemper, I don't thing any other American stands a chance of winning it.. in the men's field I mean. I would watch Tim Don on this one and maybe a surprise from spain (which wouldn't be a surprise at all but whatever..)

On the gals' field, you should be watching "my" dearest Fernandes, Vanessa Fernandes. She's turning 20 this year but she really stands a chance against the best. Oh yep, I almost forgot.. she just became European Champion for the second time in a row and by the looks of it, she was in control all the way from the start.

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Watch out worlds, here come the Americans.... [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry got to stand by my gal Erika Aklufi, she's will dominate!! :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard this song recently. I can't remember the name or artist, only the chorus: "America, fuck yeah!"

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'
Quote Reply
Re: Watch out worlds, here come the Americans.... [Trillini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm of the different mindset on this than most of you type A people who "earned" their way to World's. I say the more the merrier, and kudos to those of you who are taking advantage of the opportunity to toe the line and do something unique that you may not otherwise have a chance to do. The only embarassing behavior I've seen so far from ugly Americans is the elitism exhibited by those you of you are looking down at people who you don't think "deserve" to be there.

Last year was my first time at Nationals in Shreveport. What I discovered at the race and at the parties afterwards that it was a heck of a lot more fun to hang out with the people who finished in the middle or back of the pack who fully embraced the nationals experience and the journey to try to squeak out a qualifying spot to make it there. Certainly a lot more fun to hang out with them, than the FOP'ers who were full of themselves and only felt like talking about their race resumes.

So what if there's a few more people in each wave. It will be just like most other big triathlons most of us that are also oversubscribed these days. It won't be anything different from what we're used to.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Watch out worlds, here come the Americans.... [crmartin9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I probably am Type A, at least A minus but my triathlon abilities fit far closer to MOP than FOP and I was hoping, in KC to get top 18 and maybe squeak onto a roll down spot. I don't think I could have ever gotten top 10 so I certainly don't merit an elite attitude, nor do I think I have one.

I just would hate to have other country's athletes, or even our elite's races hurt by an oblivious MOPer blocking their path. I think it's appropriate to realize that a more crowded course merits, especially by people who don't have realistic podium ability, extra consideration. And I might add a thankyou for this opportunity. I certainly feel very lucky to participate in this and suspect it may be my only chance.

Pat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what you were talking about but a lot of those "elitest" people were out on the patio drinking it up and having a grand time. Who says that you can't have fun AND race very well at the same time. I really feel bad for those people. Those are the people you should be talking to.

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
/The only embarassing behavior I've seen so far from ugly Americans is the elitism exhibited by those you of you are looking down at people who you don't think "deserve" to be there. /

As far as I can read here so far, there has been no elitism behavior posted in any of the threads, until you mentioned it. My point was an observation, and as others have stated, I really hope that as individuals representing the good ol USA, we put out our best behavior and shout many rounds to the other teams for them putting up with our inconviencence to them.It's not a few more people, but doubleing the wave size in some heats. If you really want to have fun at the after parties, then you should hang with Emilio, Molina, Plumb, myself, and a few other former elites. We are all not as bad as you seem to think we are, and we are not full of ourselves,full of tequila and good home brew, maybe...(-:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are asses everywhere. Not just in the US. For the most part triathletes I have met are awesome. There are a few jack asses here and there but that goes with everything. The only issues with Americans is when they come up to Canada and think they can drink the beer no problem. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Watch out worlds, here come the Americans.... [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Elite World Championship takes place in Japan in Sept. The Age-Groupers will be in Honolulu in Oct. Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty,

In your original post, you use wording that suggests that some people lacked "honesty and integrity" when signing up for the race and that we were going to "clog" up the heats. Sorry if I misinterpreted the intent of your e-mail, but I thought the wording was a little harsh towards some of the people from KC who signed up.

I absolutely agree with everyone that we have a responsibility to be great hosts towards the other delegations. I think that goes without saying, and don't think that is going to be a problem. I fully anticipate that everyone from the top American medalists down to the folks left out of the "official" standings will be very gracious and friendly.

My only point in my previous post is that my observation from Shreveport is the MOP'ers were a little more "friendly." Maybe my sample size was too small...

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Watch out worlds, here come the Americans.... [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohhhh I thought we were talking of the Elite Worlds...

Since we are "going" for the Age Groups... beware all you male 20-24... I'm swimming strong, biking hard and... not running. ;)

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Last edited by: Klep: Aug 30, 05 8:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So what if there's a few more people in each wave. It will be just like most other big triathlons most of us that are also oversubscribed these days. It won't be anything different from what we're used to.

Chris

You seem to be totally missing the point. There are other countries than the USA in the World Championships. I know this is going to come as a shock to you.

Thus "so what if there's a few more people in each wave" ? Monty pointed out there are some waves which will triple in size thanks to the floodgates being open for a lot of US triathletes. This may or may not be a big deal to you, but what would happen if every country decided to do the same and sent a whole pile of people ? I bet you wouldn't be too impressed, especially if you felt you'd "earned" your right to race at the World Championships.

"It won't be anything different from what we're used to [the huge waves of people]". Maybe you're used to it from your races in the US, but I remind you again, there are other countries than the USA in the World Championships so just because the US triathletes may not mind having some waves jammed full of people (at least some of which will be fast swimmers and not so fast cyclists - not fun for others who earned the right to race a draft-free World Championships and get caught up in the "Cervelo-Jam" - nothing against Cervelo by the way, I've been riding one for 5 years and love it).

Why was the ITU so quick and happy to let as many US Age Group Triathletes race as they wanted ? Hmmm, doesn't take a lot of deep thought to note that the Age Groupers support the Elites, and the Age Groupers pay a lot of money to go to the World Championships. Thus more Age Groupers equals more money to the ITU. I can't believe nobody (as far as I can tell) has noted this yet ?? I have no problem with the ITU making lots of cash from the World Championships, but that doesn't mean it's okay to break the rules to do it. Next year, what happens if less people care about the World Championships due to a perceived diminution in the reputation of this event (and let's face it, it's always been difficult to get any other country than the host country to host a full team in most age groups), maybe there's not going to be so many people going and thus less money into the ITU bank account in the long-run.

Seems all very short-sighted to me. Much like a lot of the complaints about USAT (ie. bringing in as much money as possible NOW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is not a reply to anyone in particular.

I find it ironic that the age group classification system often gets bashed at length, yet when it comes to qualifying for this race or making the hallowed ground of the podium, the age group system suddenly has unquestioned legitimacy as a superior qualifying system. You only "earn" your way into the race if you finish in the top "X" of finishers in a grouping of competitors based on five year age increments. As a sport, we have arbitrarily anointed the "age group" as the defining measure of the term "race division." However, your "integrity" and morality are questioned if you sign up for Hawaii and are not capable of earning a qualifying spot in your race division even though you may be faster than many of your fellow competitors in other age groups. 2:10-2:15 guys who would have been MOP-ish in the 20-39 age groups at KC are podium contenders at Hawaii if you put them in some of the masters age groups.

I agree that limiting the field size is important to keep the race safe and honest and that Worlds will have some logistical issues to contend with. However, I simply find it ironic how there is much vile hostility toward age-groups in some contexts, but in the context of Worlds the age group is now sacred.

(Note: I have nothing at stake here, as I was not at Shreveport 04 or KC 05)
Quote Reply
Re: Watch out worlds, here come the Americans.... [camel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
there are some waves which will triple in size thanks to the floodgates being open for a lot of US triathletes.

You are exaggerating. The waves will not be triple the size. It is the US contingent that will be triple the size. Instead of just 16 from the USA, some waves will have 45 from the USA - an increase of about 30 athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Watch out worlds, here come the Americans.... [camel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not missing the point; instead you're the one missing the complete topic of the thread.

My only point is that we shouldn't be out there making the extra folks from the US feel unwelcome or inferior because they didn't go through the intended process.

I made no mention of the selection criteria and the politics and economics of the USAT and ITU decisions. I agree with you on most of your points, so your little rant is a bit silly.

What's done is done, and it's time to deal with the hand that the powers that be dealt us. Can we collectively learn from this experience and try to pressure USAT and ITU to improve things in the future? Absolutely. But there's no point in bitching and moaning about the current situation instead of enjoying a what's going to be great race regardless.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Watch out worlds, here come the Americans.... [LarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you have yet to experience the effects of the aging process on athletic performance. Once you get there, however, I predict you will then understand (and respect) the reason for age group competition. In the meantime, enjoy your youth (though I suspect, to paraphrase the song, it is likely wasted in this case).

This test may be helpful. Hypothetically assume your hero Simon Lessing wins the 2006 Accenture Chicago Triathlon in a time of 1:49:52 and that the next fastest time in the entire race is a 1:50:03 by 71-year-old Wayne McSheehy of Florida. Question: If the quality of a race is defined by how close an athlete comes to reaching his or her ultimate potential, which of the two had the "better" race? [Hint: Don't fight with me about the hypothetical - I'm just using it to make my (rather obvious) point.]

Lew
Quote Reply
Re: Watch out worlds, here come the Americans.... [Lew Kidder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The way I read Larry's post is that he was singling out the 20-39 age bracket. I absolutely agree with him that there's no reason why a 27 year old shouldn't be going head to head with 31 year old.

Once you start getting into the 40's, then age groups certainly become useful. (Unless your name is Joe Bonness and you inverse-age!)

Hasn't this particular topic already been beaten to death in past threads?

Chris
Quote Reply

Prev Next