Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wahoo KICKR- Portable Ideas (Battery/Car 12volt??)
Quote | Reply
Any ideas on how to make a KICKR easy to use on the go from a car? Is the power draw low enough to use a 12 -> 120 car converter? Will this drain the battery pretty quickly? Does anyone make a portable battery or have a recommended battery setup?
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR- Portable Ideas (Battery/Car 12volt??) [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how about rollers? very portable and warms your tires up.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR- Portable Ideas (Battery/Car 12volt??) [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Works well for race warm-up, but looking more for a travel solution to do workouts on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR- Portable Ideas (Battery/Car 12volt??) [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
Any ideas on how to make a KICKR easy to use on the go from a car? Is the power draw low enough to use a 12 -> 120 car converter? Will this drain the battery pretty quickly? Does anyone make a portable battery or have a recommended battery setup?

Will you really bad that far from a plug? If it's that remote, you could likely just bike outdoors (gasp!) for a workout, even if it's up n down a short hill or around a short circuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DCR has the details for how Sky sets their KICKRs up:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...eam-powermeters.html

(Search for "12V" on that page)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahh.... I seem to remember watching TV on camping trips as a kid. You might not know what "TV" or "camping" are but basically we plugged a 110v box that showed moving pictures into an adapter that plugged into the "cigarette lighter" in the car.

Cigarette lighters are these things in cars that you would press in and it would use the car battery to make a coil hot which which you could light your cigarette. For some reason.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is the potential that Wahoo is in the process of creating a portable battery solution..
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR- Portable Ideas (Battery/Car 12volt??) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not often, but there have been a few times it would be nice, if anything just for the convenience factor.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR- Portable Ideas (Battery/Car 12volt??) [agg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly what I was looking for thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:

If you get a deep cycle RV/marine Group 27 battery ($80 to $100 at most retailers) and run it through the inverter, you'll get about 2.5 hours of run time before you discharge the fully charged battery to about 50% capacity (which is about as low as you would want to discharge).

Based upon the data from the Wahoo site, it looks like the Kickr has about a 1.5 amp draw at 120V, so about 180W (or about 200W DC to account for the inefficiency of the inverter).

Most of plugin inverters should be able to handle that.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's an elegant solution, i guess you could just grab 12v right off the car.

I used the Kickr a couple times last year to warm up for cross races without pugging it in, it was good enough
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To car battery and charge, the more we know about it power inverter. I am used to charge phone and laptop from using a 300w power inverter from bestek. Since I love travelling, so inverter is necessary for me to take. When we in the outside, we need a inverter to charge our common tools. If you want to learn more about this inverter, click bestek to know. Hope this point is helpful to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR- Portable Ideas (Battery/Car 12volt??) [Rorence] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this...

An age group triathlete just like you.
TopTriGear - https://www.toptrigear.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agg wrote:
DCR has the details for how Sky sets their KICKRs up: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...eam-powermeters.html

(Search for "12V" on that page)
This

The Kickr power supply is rated at 12V, 5A output. So, using a power inverter would be the best way to waste a crapton of power. Just make a custom direct-connect cord from a normal 12V car battery to the little plug that feeds into the Kickr. If you power it from the car, make sure that it is either directly connected to the battery or is connected to an always-on source that does not require the key in the ignition. A typical car battery could probably power 60 hours of Kicker time, but that would go down fast with the key in position 1 and crazy fast with the key in position 2.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR- Portable Ideas (Battery/Car 12volt??) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anybody know the type of electrical connector that plugs into the kickr so I can make a small 12v battery system like sky has in that link?
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR- Portable Ideas (Battery/Car 12volt??) [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
anybody know the type of electrical connector that plugs into the kickr so I can make a small 12v battery system like sky has in that link?

It's a coaxial power connector. I don't know the size (I think it is one of the 5.5mm ones) , but you can measure yours to match it up. It is one of the standard types.

I made a cigarette lighter to coaxial power loom to plug my kickr into the car for warmups.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR- Portable Ideas (Battery/Car 12volt??) [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
I used the Kickr a couple times last year to warm up for cross races without pugging it in, it was good enough
Interesting - never thought of that. Although the Kickr is a bit heavy to be lugging around

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR- Portable Ideas (Battery/Car 12volt??) [Johnnybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yea... I thought it sucked lugging around a kurt kinetic
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR- Portable Ideas (Battery/Car 12volt??) [Johnnybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnnybike wrote:
jroden wrote:

Interesting - never thought of that. Although the Kickr is a bit heavy to be lugging around
What was that lightweight trainer with the magnets (think it was a kickstarter project?). Can't remember.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:

Rather than using an inverter - which is going to invert DC->AC, you should ask Wahoo about the DC requirements for the trainer. The KICKR itself requires a transformer to convert AC->DC, so it doesn't make much sense to go DC->AC->DC. You should be able to power the Kickr DC->DC.

The KICKR's transformer converts standard AC to 12V-5A (max of 60W). 12V is standard car battery voltage. So it should be easy - and way more efficient - to power it directly. I'd be shocked if the Wahoo guys wouldn't help you out with this.

But regardless, even with the losses, virtually ANY car power adapter (DC->AC) should be able to power a KICKR. Or, presumably, any other plug in trainer. The power required is just not that high.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a general warm up, I think the KICKR does fine without power. Enough to warm up with anyway. I can get a solid 200+ watts out of it unpowered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Digging up an old one...

Looking for an off the shelf solution for the same question. I'm going to be on the road for a while and some days I just won't be able to bike outside.

Does anyone know if something like this should work for a Kickr Core for a few hours, or would I need something a little more heavy duty?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083BVLM71/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Really appreciate any help!

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Last edited by: MrRabbit: Sep 14, 20 6:54
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR- Portable Ideas (Battery/Car 12volt??) [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
Digging up an old one...

Looking for an off the shelf solution for the same question. I'm going to be on the road for a while and some days I just won't be able to bike outside.

Does anyone know if something like this should work for a Kickr Core for a few hours, or would I need something a little more heavy duty?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083BVLM71/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Really appreciate any help!

On paper that that would give you 20 hours. 30Ah capacity @ peak current draw of 1.5A of the Kickr Core. In real life time, you're unlikely to get a real 30Ah from the battery, but also the Kickr Core is unlikely to draw 1.5A continuous. I have no idea what the steady-state draw is, but I'd be surprised if you don't see at least 10 hours in real life usage.

I would, personally, ignore all the DC talk above. Sure, you could get 15-25% more efficient or so by fabricating a cable for direct DC power. Fine, if you can easily find the right barrel connector and can find one of those lightweight lithium packs with a 12VDC output. But, meh. Not a big deal given that battery-inverter combinations are so cheap, light, and efficient these days. Not worth it for the non-electrical savvy to accidentally reverse polarity or something and fry the Kicker with a non-warranty-approved mod.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 14, 20 7:39
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR- Portable Ideas (Battery/Car 12volt??) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks that is perfect info! I was thinking the same thing about efficiency. I'm going for convenience here as a primary goal

I actually think I'm gonna go with something a liiittle more heavy duty just in case I can't always get a full charge.

https://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-iGen160s-Portable-Generator-Included/dp/B0823BB4RV/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Westinghouse+iGen+155-Watt+Hour+Portable+Solar+Generator&qid=1600094011&sr=8-4

Given what you just said I'm extra sure this one will work for quite some time while also keeping a tablet going.

Thanks again!

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR- Portable Ideas (Battery/Car 12volt??) [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple other ideas would be to gas generator. We have one for our camper and even the smallest one would give you more than enough power. They are very loud though. The other option would be a dual battery setup in your car. Basically bring a second car battery and charge it while your driving. You could get as complicated as using a switch, which is what a lot of boats have, or as simple as a battery charger hooked up to your car outlet.
Quote Reply

Prev Next