Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [ajminn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My macbook pro is right in front of my handlebars. So figure that's probably 3.5 to 4feet from the kickr. I purchased mine on the 2nd of April. Would that have shipped with the latest firmware updates on it? I used the wahoo utility app and connected to the kickr but had no notification that it needed any kind of firmware update. i understand that it should pull up on the screen but i wasn't sure how long the app has to be open before the message shows up on the screen.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [thomasmn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thomasmn wrote:
Has anyone tried to run the KICKR off a car cigarette lighter outlet? I believe Ray mentioned it was meant to be able to run off of an outlet in a car, but have not been able to find much information about it. I have a road trip coming up where it would be very convenient if I could pull out the trainer while I wait for my wife to finish her race without leaving the area on my bike.

For anyone that cares - Brad from Wahoo helped me figure out what the right car adapter would be. The plug that goes on the KICKR is a 2.5mm coaxial cable. He bought and tested that he could run the KICKR off of one these:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/12637103138581489691?q=radar%20detector%20power%20cord&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS487US487&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45645796,d.eWU&biw=1920&bih=952&sa=X&ei=_c96UbvQMePd0QHn1IGIDg&ved=0CFsQ8wIwAQ

Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe DC Rainmaker can chime in here...

Garmin Connect uploads of KICKR activities just plain sucks. It doesn't know what the device is and doesn't include all the power metrics.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN- Are you uploading from trainerroad or the wahoo app to garmin connect?

I don't have any help to provide but I'm curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [OldArmy07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Wahoo app.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It won't. It's the limitations of the Garmin Connect API. It doesn't permit 'DIY device types', and doesn't permit the posting of TSS/NP/IF information.

That said, on the whole it does upload (here's tonight's workout from me): http://connect.garmin.com/activity/306397572

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
That said, on the whole it does upload (here's tonight's workout from me): http://connect.garmin.com/activity/306397572
HR 12 bpm? Impressive :) Sensor flakiness? If so, some particular set-up to be avoided in general?
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you it be right to say that the Kickr works great with:

- TrainerRoad : to do structured power training ?
- Kinomap : to take GPS data from real ride already done or create a ride from GoogleMap ?

And do anyone know if it's possible to get one in Europe?

Thanks !
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uucee wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:

HR 12 bpm? Impressive :) Sensor flakiness? If so, some particular set-up to be avoided in general?

Yeah, not sure why it was ticked off yesterday (my HR strap). Got the same errors on the Edge 800 as well, so wasn't the app, but the strap.

-
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ray,

In your in-depth review of the Kickr, your comparison of the Kickr ave. power to your Quarq showed the Quarq reading slightly higher. I'm having the exact opposite issue, with my Quarq reading about 10% (or greater) on average lower than my Kickr. Have you seen this behavior?

I'm trying to figure out if this is a Kickr or a Quarq problem.

Thanks,

Matthew

Matthew
Twitter: @AlphaDogCycling
Instagram: @AlphaDogCycling
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [alphadogcycling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really hard to say if it's a Quarq or KICKR issue. I assume you've calibrated both?

However, from a technical standpoint the Quarq should be higher than the KICKR (due to drivetrain loss).

On the Quarq side, what's your calibration procedure look like?

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ray,

Yes -- I've calibrated both.

For the Kickr, I use the spindown in the Wahoo Utility App and not the one in the Fitness App (this was a suggestion from Wahoo Tech Support). I've actually calibrated the Kickr multiple times, and the calibration number is pretty steady (914 / 915). I've done this at 15 minutes into a ride, and then at 56 minutes.

For the Quarq, I warm up for about 10 - 15 minutes, and then I do the "calibration" with the drive side crank at 6 o'clock. The Quarq "calibration" (in my pain cave) has been relatively stable as well (around -344) over multiple weeks.

Matthew
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [alphadogcycling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, that solids like a pretty solid calibration procedure. I wish I had a better answer, but those are pretty much exactly my procedures as well. :( I'm sorry!

Any friends with a PowerTap wheel by chance? Would at least be able to see how it compares to the Quarq on a standalone trainer (should be a touch bit lower than the Quarq).

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has your offset between the 2 been stable? If so don't worry about it too much and just calculate the difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [Psywiped] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, the offset between my Quarq and Kickr isn't a constant wattage. The delta varies in what looks like a somewhat non-linear manner.

For example, last night I had the Kickr set at 110 watts (easy spin), and the Quarq was reading closer to 90 watts. I increased the Kickr to 120 watts and the Quarq only went to about 95 watts. I then had the Kickr at 210 watts, and the Quarq was about 207 watts. Next was 220 watts on the Kickr, and the Quarq reads closer to 230 watts. All of these were done with out changing gears, and trying to keep my cadence at a constant 90 - 95.

The delta in wattage reading (at least when I'm in a relatively small gear -- 34x19 or 17) for a specific Kickr wattage (erg mode) between the Kickr and the Quarq appears to be constant.

I'm really curious if anyone else is seeing this behavior (Kickr reading higher than a crank based powermeter), or if this is specific to me. If it is specific to me, then that would say either / both my Kickr or Quarq have issues that I need to get addressed.

Matthew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alphadogcycling wrote:
Unfortunately, the offset between my Quarq and Kickr isn't a constant wattage. The delta varies in what looks like a somewhat non-linear manner.

For example, last night I had the Kickr set at 110 watts (easy spin), and the Quarq was reading closer to 90 watts. I increased the Kickr to 120 watts and the Quarq only went to about 95 watts. I then had the Kickr at 210 watts, and the Quarq was about 207 watts. Next was 220 watts on the Kickr, and the Quarq reads closer to 230 watts. All of these were done with out changing gears, and trying to keep my cadence at a constant 90 - 95.

The delta in wattage reading (at least when I'm in a relatively small gear -- 34x19 or 17) for a specific Kickr wattage (erg mode) between the Kickr and the Quarq appears to be constant.

I'm really curious if anyone else is seeing this behavior (Kickr reading higher than a crank based powermeter), or if this is specific to me. If it is specific to me, then that would say either / both my Kickr or Quarq have issues that I need to get addressed.

You can easily tell if your Quarq is reporting accurate data by watching your zero offset values. Just check it before and at the end of your ride (and anytime in between if you're suspicious of the data). It sounds like yours is stable around -344. If that is the case, your Quarq is reporting your wattage accurately. I'm not sure how you check that the Kickr is reporting accurate wattage.

Mieke
Quarq Technology
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ANy issue with changing to shimano 11 speed? I have been a Lemond Revoution Loyalist but they have no solution for going to 11 speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was an update to the KICKR when I fired it up this morning. ANT+ control of the KICKR is now a reality. I didn't try it so I don't know how well it works. Not sure what else was updated but the big news was the ANT+ control.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet. How did you know there was an update? Did you just happen to check on the wahoo utility app or did it automatically show up in their fitness app as well? I'm interested to know what else they changed besides just adding ant+ control.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [ajminn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It showed up on both. I opened both apps and got the update notification from both. The fitness app just redirects you to the utility app so just open the utility app.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone with a Quarq that has power balance?
Have you compared power balance from a previous ride to one on the KICKR in ERG mode?
I'm curious if it will bring one closer to pedaling 50/50...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried the new TrainerRoad with ANT+ power control this morning. The resistance would skip around, sometimes going high and sometimes go away altogether. I eventually switched over to my iPad for resistance control.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any updated info on when we can expect some new apps? I'm really looking forward to some real course videos like the CT. Kinomaps is not the same.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [zroom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zroom wrote:
I tried the new TrainerRoad with ANT+ power control this morning. The resistance would skip around, sometimes going high and sometimes go away altogether. I eventually switched over to my iPad for resistance control.

TR doesn't yet control the KICKR over ANT+. Were you on a Mac with Bluetooth (which they do support)?

-
Quote Reply

Prev Next