Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WILLIAMSBURG VA 1/2 IM
Quote | Reply
the future looks bright...

Ironman Bid Proposal Update

September 2, 2004 - Bob Tubbs, Owner, Cedars Bed & Breakfast <--- email link

Well folks, I believe it is finally going to happen. If I were a betting man, I'd give exceptional odds that we will have our first Ironman event in September, 2005 so start training. Our goal is to host two years of a 1/2 Ironman (2005 & 2006) which would then position us nicely to take over the current Florida full Ironman in 2007. This approach also helps us ease the community into what Ironmans are all about.

We had final approval from the Virginia Department of Transportation last month. The final challenge came when the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) was not sure if they or Ironman North America, who is a franchisee to the WTC, would manage and execute 1/2 Ironmans.

In a conversation two weeks ago with Ben Fertic, WTC President, he told me that the WTC has decided to do 1/2 Ironman and not Ironman North America. They are exceptionally excited about having Williamsburg as a venue. As it turns out, Ben lived and worked in the area and is very acquainted with the venue.

Their plan is to market 1/2 separate from full events and to hold the World 1/2 Ironman Championships in Berlin. This would be similar to Hawaii hosting the full Ironman Championships.

The next step for us is to cost justify 1/2 Ironmans (which we are in the process of doing now) and to schedule a meeting of the players hopefully sometime in the next two or three weeks. The slow down is that between last week's Canadian Ironman and the upcoming Wisconsin Ironman, everyone is traveling and very busy on the Ironman side.

Throughout this process, many of you have asked me about how you can help. Well, here is how. I have set up a discussion board at http://www.cedarsofwilliamsburg.com/board/. I'd really like to show how much support there is for this event in the community and area. Please share your thoughts. I'd love to share them with the Williamsburg community leaders, the WTC and Ironman North America.

I'd also like to know of anyone in the Williamsburg area who might like to schedule regular training with the goal to prepare for these upcoming Ironman events.

Thanks for your support. Bob

Quote Reply
Re: WILLIAMSBURG VA 1/2 IM [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Count me in! (I'll visit that site, too)

Great news. Thanks!

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thrilled to hear this, as a DC resident you couldn't ask for a better location for such a race. I look forward to supporting Williamsburg as well as racing next year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I definitely like the idea and would be willing to come down from DC to do the race next year (I signed up on the other forum, as well).

My one word of caution, though, is that the timing would have you competing directly with at least 2 other "local" 1/2s: The Duke Liver Center Half in Raleigh, NC and the Odyssey Half near Fredericksburg, VA. Duke has around 600 racers signed up for this year's race and I think the Odyssey race is about half that. Both sites are within 2-3 hours of Williamsburg and the races are scheduled for September.

That being said, if this were somehow advertised as an "official" (define that term however you want) 1/2, something along the lines of Disney or Ralph's, then you might get a leg up on attracting participants.

Just my .02.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds great, will be an easy trip from nj. does this mean that there will be an ironman fl. in 2005 & 2006. thanks, ted
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to live in the Tidewater area. Williamsburg is the whip! Count me in, and how many websites do I have to visit to drum up support? :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My boys live up there so I'm a definite maybe. :)

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work Bob has done. They've been working on this for a while. This will be a great location for at least the 1/2 IMs. Its a great tourist spot as well. Good weekend for the tri-family.
Quote Reply