Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WD40: Yay or Nay?
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who uses only WD40 to clean his bike. It was advice he received from his LBS. I have heard from several people that it is not a great idea to clean your bike w/ WD40. I must admit that I have used it and it works extremely well. When I'm struggling to get grit off my bike, I am very tempted to grab the WD40. Should I resist the urge? Why?

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Re: WD40: Yay or Nay? [hollidan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is my experience........dry conditions I never use it because it sticks to everything.........in wet conditions in the winter I use it to avoid corrosion and then when the weather changes I totally rebuild and clean my bike without wd40 and then never touch it again. If dust and dirt are not a problem where you live it might be okay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, this is what I have been told: The "WD" in WD40 stands for "Water Displacement". The product is meant primarily to displace water and perform a light lubricative effect (did I just invent a new word?). We find it is good for light cleaning of derailleurs and chains if they are already pretty clean. Then, you have to follow up with a good lubricant of your choice. We also found it is good for removing adhesive residue from race numbers stuck on customer's bikes.

Some people think WD40 is a "do everything" cleaner and lubricant. While it may come pretty close to that, it really isn't, so it is best to use it for what it was intended: Light cleaning, water displacement and light lubrication.

Happy New Years!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually drink Steel Reserve 211 40's, when available, Haffenreffer 40's if not, but I'll try anything. Who makes WD40? Miller? AB? My motto: It all tastes the same when it's in a brown bag! I don't know about using ripple to clean your bike though.

I use WD40 to clean and protect lots of stuff(on and off the bike), teflon chain lube for almost everything that moves, and grease to keep the bolt heads from rusting. I find that the liquid chain lube makes a big mess and causes lots of gunk to build up on the chain and derailleurs, while teflon chain lube does not.

One tip worth repeating(and thank you to the glorious one who mentioned it here a few months ago): You can get a 1 gallon jug of the Orange degreaser for about $8 from Home Depot(as opposed to ~$12 for a pint at the LBS), and it will safely clean everything on your bike. It is good for your Park chain cleaner, and will cut through everything. The best thing is that you don't have to rinse it. You just let it dry, then apply lube. It will make your drivetrain SHINE! But I don't recommend that you drink it. ;p

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've also had success using WD-40 to remove grease stains from knit synthetic fabric. Obviously you'll want to try it on a test area in case it damages your fabric.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use it to clean the drivetrain when I'm too lazy to remove the chain. I then remove the WD and lube with a proper lubricant. Works for me.
Quote Reply
Re: WD40: Yay or Nay? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<I usually drink Steel Reserve 211 40's, when available, Haffenreffer 40's if not>>

Yo, when the ladies are present, you need to represent like a true player and wrap your hand around a cold, bold Colt .45. Let the honey know your game is tight and you are always in control with the smooth taste preferred by legendary macks coast to coast.

Brett

"Internationally respected, yet locally accepted"
Quote Reply
Re: WD40: Yay or Nay? [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spray my fishing loures with the stuff. I didn't know you could drink it. That will save me some wet, dirty day when the fish ain't bitin' and I feel the need to be displaced. .
The Dirtball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yo! check out 40ozmaltliquor.com! I file it under the further annals of stuff I am not making up. They list over 300 different kinds of truly awful swill, along with people's reviews of said swill. Example review of Steel Reserve 211: "This stuff tastes like horse piss, but it gets me and my girlfriend ripped!" I can only vouch for the first part of that.

Quote Reply
Re: WD40: Yay or Nay? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<Yo! check out 40ozmaltliquor.com!>>

Dog, that was too funny! Thanks for sharing. So, just how do you "stumble" accross stuff like this?

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T-wolfe,

yo be needin to get the ebonics font installed.

dog - dawg

player - playa

least you be called out for frontin'.

while we're posting crazy stuff that's one the web, try this:

http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/...ectic/toys/jive.html

I used to run my lieutenant's evaluation reports through it before giving it to them. what comes out is usually wet-your-pants funny. It's the Shiznit

:-)

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: WD40: Yay or Nay? [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
straight from the aforementioned website:

dat has nothin' t' do wit' wd40 but it be hilarious.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just basically google everything. Everything! Try it. You'll be frightened.

Quote Reply