Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vittoria Crono EVO CS tubulars and flatting.
Quote | Reply
I did a search first to see if anyone has had issues with this particular tire. I for one have. They don't seem very durable or I just have had pissy luck this season.
Twice I've flatted during an 1/2 iron distance race with Vittoria tubulars. My husband once. 2 on the rear, yesterday it was my front wheel. I paid $215 for 3 and I feel like I'm going through them like toilet paper. Both times toward the end of the race for mine. Yesterday was at mile 42. I'm getting damn fast as a female age grouper changing out my tubular and thank you boys for yelling out sweet stuff and asking if I need help on the bike course. I'm self sufficient and I'm proud to say it probably really only dumped 4 minutes to my over all bike time. Still,FRUSTRATING not to mention expensive. Especially when my 808's are taken very good care of, only used to race on, glued on proberly and never over inflated.

I love this write up about this tire:

The Vittoria Corsa Evo CX Tubular is one of the best tubulars on the market. This top of the line tubular from Vittoria not only offers great handling but great looks too, while offering superior performance and comfort. A favorite tire among triathletes. Reduced rolling resistance and puncture resistance. Except for TGP. Valve length is 36mm. Inflation 100-200 PSI. 290 TPI.

The main reason I purchased these and keep doing so (like an idiot) they go on the rim very easily without ever needing to be prestretched. My spare is right from the shipping box, glued up and folded and ready to slap on.

Since I'm a expert in tubular changing in a stressful situation (road side while everyone is flying by and you've just screwed up your awesome bike split) I found that some of the info after a search here on ST written isn't true. The first 1/2 ironman race I flatted at in July (Patriot Man 1/2 in MA) it was misty rain with wet roads. My hands were wet my wheels were wet, my spare was wet. I had no issue getting the spare on and the contact cement does what it's supposed to do. Stick on contact. After I inflated the spare on my rim, that sucker was on there tight. No issues. Yes, I was careful on some of the turns, but post race inspection showed no compromise in the glue or adhesion to the rim.

Tell me about a better tire that will too, go on the rim WITHOUT any prestretching.

CS and CX are two different tires. CS, recommended for time-trialing and velodrome. CX is more duarable.

I love CS there's no faster tires, that I have used. BUT you use them once! I have done sub 4:35 Ironmans with CS, two times with out flatting, both times brand new!

BR Dave

Quote | Reply

I don't think I'd run those tires in wet conditions. Water is an excellent lubricant to help any little shard puncture the casing.

That's one more reason for going clincher on race wheels...you can change your tire choice literally at the last minute depending on conditions ;-)

For something a bit more durable and almost as fast as the Chronos, try some of the Bontrager Race X Lite Pro tubulars. Unlike the Vittoria Chronos, they have a minimal "puncture belt" under the tread.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Crono EVO CS tubulars and flatting. [Trigirlpink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flatted one earlier this year. In fairness, what flatted my tire likely would have flatted anything.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Crono EVO CS tubulars and flatting. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to admit that I was quite nervous when my IM was raining almost constantly, maybe I was lucky :)

Quote | Reply

How confusing is this? And to be fair, I couldn't be 100% sure if I bought the Triathlon EVO's or the Crono's. I think I just need to walk away from Vittoria. BAAAAD Karma on my wheels. Again,my biggest concern besides being more durable, is the tire goes on the rim very easy.

Vittoria Triathlon EVO CS-improved aerodynamic 21mm profile, 290 TPI, and additional Kevlar wrapping and you have bullet, race-proven tire!

Vittoria Crono EVO CS -The Corespun T casing used is extremely puncture resistant to help reduce the chance of getting a flat.

Vittoria Corsa Evo CX Tubular
A favorite tire among triathletes. Reduced rolling resistance and puncture resistance. Valve length is 36mm. Inflation 100-200 PSI. 290 TPI.

Just move to the Corsa EVO CX. It's a much more puncture resistant tire - the one you should be on anyway.
The Crono is for time trialing and track use, and are only good for a few hundred miles even on good roads.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Can i ask the obvious question: What caused the flat?

Did you puncture on a sharp object? Did you look over the tire after the race to determin the root cause? What pressure were you riding the morning of the race?

Just saying the tire sucks because you got a flat isn't fair.

-Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Crono EVO CS tubulars and flatting. [TriDaveO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time is money
I did not stop to inspect. I went into double time ripping the sucker off and replacing as quickly and safely as I could. Bike course volunteers were kind enough to grab ( after asking) my disgarded stuff when I was done. They were right where I flatted.

In Reply To:
Just move to the Corsa EVO CX. It's a much more puncture resistant tire - the one you should be on anyway.
The Crono is for time trialing and track use, and are only good for a few hundred miles even on good roads.

Chris

The Bontrager is the same casing as the Vittoria CX...with some slight differences to the tread that apparently allow it to be slightly faster. I think it might be generally cheaper to buy as well...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Time is money
I did not stop to inspect. I went into double time ripping the sucker off and replacing as quickly and safely as I could. Bike course volunteers were kind enough to grab ( after asking) my disgarded stuff when I was done. They were right where I flatted.

I think in that case, time was...well...time! ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run the EVO CS tires on my time trial/triathlon wheel set and I've flatted once this season (wet weather). Oddly enough the leak stopped when I had somewhere around 3 bar left in the tire so I could actually finish the race. I run the EVO CX on my standard road bike wheel set (race) and those tires have a lot more rubber so they seem to be a lot more puncture resistant. That durability comes with added rolling resistance of course...

Both tires seem to be really smooth and nice but I find it hard to get the EVO CX properly glued around the valve. I suppose I need to use a lot more glue at that area.
I think that the EVO CX would need some pre stretching in order for it to slip on the rim easily. That's at least my experience.

The average human uses 10% of his brain power.

Find nine other people
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Crono EVO CS tubulars and flatting. [greijuz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes! I think I actually have a CX in my *collection* of Vittoria tires and I noticed that this one is harder to get on the rim with my 2 whimpy small hands so I made a mental note NOT to use it as a spare. The thicker the tire the harder to get on the rim???????

Gluing better around the valve. Something I will keep in mind.

In Reply To:
The thicker the tire the harder to get on the rim???????

Yes, something like that. At least more material to stretch when putting it on and if it's the same material, just more, it will require more force to stretch.
Also, the base tape on the CX has some kind of latex coating which the CS doesn't.

Personally, I wouldn't replace my CS tires for anything else that I've seen this far. But, I'll invest in Vittoria Pit Stop to help me save the day when/if I flat again (well, maybe not TTing but at least during tri's).

Find nine other people
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Crono EVO CS tubulars and flatting. [greijuz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halloj Erik :)

I will have pit stop with me even on TT's, since I don't like to get so frickin cold walking back to the start! Did you hear that Lelle flattend two times in IM UK, with conti competitions, he solved it the first tire with pitstop, second by changing. I was using the same "aid"-kit I had in Kalmar. He was quite happy that he lent it :) Poor bastard, we run CS hand he conti competition (I have NEVER had a flat on that tire!!!) and flattens two times!

See you on Saturday!

Quote | Reply
Why don't you go with the CX and do the Joe Boness method. Carry a small syringe of Slime and off you go. No changing of flat tires required.

Reference: http://ironjoe3.triathletesonline.com/?cp=122
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Crono EVO CS tubulars and flatting. [TriDave79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Halloj Erik :)

I will have pit stop with me even on TT's, since I don't like to get so frickin cold walking back to the start! Did you hear that Lelle flattend two times in IM UK, with conti competitions, he solved it the first tire with pitstop, second by changing. I was using the same "aid"-kit I had in Kalmar. He was quite happy that he lent it :) Poor bastard, we run CS hand he conti competition (I have NEVER had a flat on that tire!!!) and flattens two times!

See you on Saturday!

Well, you know I'm an aero freak so I just cant find a proper place to keep the Vittoria stuff during TT's and I don't mind cooling down while walking. I'll probably be angry enough to keep the heat up during the walk anyway.
Two flats during the same race!? Wet race? That's quite a lot of bad luck to have that happen twice with those tires.

And: Friday that is, right? (you wouldn't want to arrive to the party 24h late, right? :-)

Find nine other people
Quote Reply