Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vittoria Corsa Speed and Hed Disc
Quote | Reply

I noticed a while back that my Hed disk had several dings in it -- shallow but fairly big. This was a puzzle since I'd barely used it and don't ever remember being rough with it in any way -- other than putting that #$%#$!! tight Vittoria Corsa Speed tire on it.

Then I saw this on Hed's site:

Quote:
Tech Notes:
1. We do not recommend tubeless tire use on Jet Disc wheels. Slight rim compression from the tighter, non-elastic beads on tubeless tires may result in dimpling on the carbon disc sides.
I took the tire off and voila! The dings all disappeared. Hed says it's perfectly safe to ride with the tubeless tire if you don't mind the dings. But this sounds like another reason to switch to the Vittoria Pista tire.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed and Hed Disc [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa. That's just crazy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its usually best to follow the manufactures recommendation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
I noticed a while back that my Hed disk had several dings in it -- shallow but fairly big. This was a puzzle since I'd barely used it and don't ever remember being rough with it in any way -- other than putting that #$%#$!! tight Vittoria Corsa Speed tire on it.

Why you using that turd? This one is mo better.... https://www.probikekit.com/...p;variation=11436088

Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed and Hed Disc [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
jens wrote:
Why you using that turd? This one is mo better.... https://www.probikekit.com/...p;variation=11436088
Why is it better?...because it is lighter? Does it also wear faster and flat easier? Just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed and Hed Disc [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your guess is as good as mine. I haven't even been on my TT bike this year or I would have bought some and tested them.

It's the track version of the CS clincher. It weighs 45g less and is probably much easier to mount (not tubeless), has a anti-puncture belt, the same 320tpi casing, and G+ tread. Crr should be at least as good, probably better. I'd guess that puncture resistance and wear are about the same (poor).
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed and Hed Disc [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Your guess is as good as mine. I haven't even been on my TT bike this year or I would have bought some and tested them.

It's the track version of the CS clincher. It weighs 45g less and is probably much easier to mount (not tubeless), has a anti-puncture belt, the same 320tpi casing, and G+ tread. Crr should be at least as good, probably better. I'd guess that puncture resistance and wear are about the same (poor).
Thanks. That's basically my thoughts as well without having tested it. The CS doesn't really fit a lot of wheels (as Jens pointed out) and is a PITA to mount. However, I've found puncture resistance and wear to be okay and I'm guessing it might be a bit better than the pista, so that makes me reluctant to try/test the pista.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed and Hed Disc [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I do have a couple of the Pista tires. They roll the same as the CS -- or at least within the margin of error. They are definitely lighter and easier to mount. I would say most of the weight difference is in the bead, which is vastly thicker on the CS. The tread on the CS might also be a tiny bit thicker - but only a tiny bit.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this tire better than the Continental SuperSonic?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jens, does it have crazy off centered track tread?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
I would say most of the weight difference is in the bead, which is vastly thicker on the CS. The tread on the CS might also be a tiny bit thicker - but only a tiny bit.

Is the size the same? I wondered if the Pista might be a little smaller.

Lanierb: It's listed at 180g which isn't that light. I wouldn't expect it to be silly-fragile.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed and Hed Disc [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Jens, does it have crazy off centered track tread?

The tire tread itself is centered, but the little lines that run around it are asymmetric.

BryanD wrote:
Is this tire better than the Continental SuperSonic?

Depends on how you define better. It does roll a little faster, just as the Corsa Speed does. We're talking a couple of watts, depending on which width/version of the SS you have.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm...sounds like they should use more spokes under that fairing...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed and Hed Disc [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Get the disc brake version?
Last edited by: trail: Sep 15, 17 17:00
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed and Hed Disc [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well played.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed and Hed Disc [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Get the disc brake version?

Oxymoron

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply