Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vision base bars
Quote | Reply
I am thinking about getting the vision base bars for myself as a birthday present. (No one loves me like I do, and I do not mean in a Tibb's sort of way for you sick bastards out there!) Any feed back on the vision base bars? If I get these, will I need to get the brake levers as well? Has anyone used these with the Hed Clip lite aero bars - are they compatible? How wide is the round section where you attach the stem and base bars on the 40cm wide model? I want to make sure I will be comfy.

Thank you for your experience.

Gar

"Why do they keep inventing new ways to celebrate mediocrity" -
Quote Reply
Re: Vision base bars [3car] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd also appreciate some feedback from folks that use the VisionTech base bars. I also see that Easton is coming out with a carbon fiber base bar for 2005 that might be pretty sweet:

http://www.eastonbike.com/COMPONENTS/bar.road.deltaforce.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Gar - I'm not using them myself, but I did put a set on my wife's race bike, along with their carbon clip-on aero bars. Gotta say they're both really nice. The clamp section on the base bar is 26.0 mm, and I believe I put the 42 cm bars on her bike (she's got big ol' swimmer's shoulders). The base bar is super light, but still feels really solid. Installation and internal cable routing were a breeze, too. I went with the Cane Creek brake levers and they work just fine - they did require a bit of elbow grease to get 'em into the bar ends, but I didn't have to do any filing or sanding. I have heard that certain makes of brake levers simply won't go in, but I can't remember which ones. Can't comment on the compatibility of the base bar with the Hed clip-ons, but if they're made for a 26.0 mm bar or have shims to make them fit, they oughtta work just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Vision base bars [mthammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. My question regarding the round section is not the 26mm diameter, but the length of the round section. Or, how far towards the brakes can you mount the clip-ons? Sorry I was not more clear on my first post.

Gar

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oops...didn't get that. Unfortunately, I'm at work screwing around at the moment or I'd measure it and let you know with more accuracy. Best I can do is guesstimate it at about 4.5-5 inches. When Tom D gets up and fires up his computer, I bet you can get a more accurate measurement from him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3car,

Unfortunately I have to report this unreported potential technological upgrade to team taint. Your penalty will probably involve having to ride in my thule box to the next race- or, listen to a recorded version of my witty blow by blow of my marathon PR 10 times without interruption. You choose.

Actually, I have been eyeing this vision base bar, if I am thinking of the same one, it is relatively cheap ($69 bucks) and darn light. Plus it looks damn sweet which is really the most important aspect. I look forward to commentary as it seems like a cool purchase.

Deeg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you again! I am in no real hurry so if you do not mind taking a measurement for me some night I would be in your debt.

Thanks again,

Gar

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thank you. My question regarding the round section is not the 26mm diameter, but the length of the round section. Or, how far towards the brakes can you mount the clip-ons? Sorry I was not more clear on my first post.

Gar

I've got em on my bike. I don't know the exact width of the round section, but it's plenty wide for clip-ons of the Syntace or Profile types, where the armpads are attached to little wings. I have the C2s, and the only issue is making sure they can be attached wide enough to allow a aero water bottle to fit in the gap. The armpads can be much wider due to the design of the clipons.

If you have the sort of clipons where the clamp attaches to the base bar directly under the armpad, the Visions might not work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You may want to bump the birthday gift self-love up a few notches and look at the integrated bars - they can be had at either Nashbar or trisports.com for less than 200 bucks (and i think there's a Nashbar coupon floating around for a further 15% off). Not bad for a setup that normally runs $450 and draws Tom D's positive reviews.

If I didn't have to contend with the shipping and Canadian duty costs, I'd get them in a heartbeat.
Quote Reply
Re: Vision base bars [oh-so-slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The integrated bars are a bit heavier, but more areo. The high end break levers can be a bit painfull on a long ride as they tend to be sharp. I have the base bar now with the stock clip-ons and find it just fine at a great price. However, I am thinking about a P3 and have not decided on whether I will go with the integrated set just yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Vision base bars [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I am thinking about a P3" You just made Deegan cry!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No need to measure for me. FSA responded and indicate that the section is 12cm wide, but recommend placing the clip-ons no more than 10cm outside to outside. I will take some measurements of my current set-up when I get home.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using the FSA base bar and VT clip-ons for a few months now. I hated them for the first 2 rides. They take a bit of getting used to. After that period though, I've loved them! I use DA barends shifters and DiaComp brake levers. A few of the higher end brake levers will not fit into the ends of the base bar, the bar is smaller then normal in diameter. The DiaComps only fit cuz I remove the sleeve on the tighening clamp before putting them in the bar end. I've got another bike I just built with my old Syntace setup and after the maiden voyage will will replace them with the FSA bar and VT clip-ons.

I want both bikes to be the same. One for racing and one for training.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Vision base bars [getting-old] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did you hate them, and what made it better?

Quote Reply
Re: Vision base bars [oh-so-slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shipping costs and duty? are you crazy..these thing are brutally expensive up her..even doing the conversion and adding taxes you come out way ahead in the deal...you could always find some really nice fellow STer to get them shipped to their place...repack and relabel them for you..sending them as a gift..and avoid those annoying extra costs (not like I'd do anything like that or anything)
as a side note I see the folks at Chuck's bikes have updated their website and now have the Tektro brake levers on sale (think they have a return spring as well)..pretty good deal..found here http://www.chucksbikes.com/store/indexbk010.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bars are a smaller diameter then the Syntace. I'm 6-3 and have large hands. It felt very different. Also, they are narrower then the Syntace. The base bar ends seemed further forward for some reason, also. So, after awhile I adapted to the differences and now love them.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gosh - if I new it was that easy I would have done it a long time ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old are you going to be? Deeg and I are both moving up to the 35-39 for next season.
Quote Reply
Re: Vision base bars [getting-old] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used the Profile Quick-Stop 2 brake levers with the FSA base bar with no problems at all, the Profile levers are quite nice too compare to the Dia Compes and have a return spring.
Quote Reply
Re: Vision base bars [JP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After I went to a shift cable as a brake cable the DiaComps "snap" back really fast. I've been using the shift cables as brake cables for a few months now without a problem. The rear Zipp carbon and rear MRC that I use on my 2 Zipps are really tough brakes to get to work correctly. But, the shift cable usage solved all the sluggish problems.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Vision base bars [crmartin9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm overlooking something here, but the Easton DeltaForce bar looks SUPER HOT!!!!!!! Anybody know anything specific about it? It's lighter than the Vision base bar and looks more aero! What do y'all think?
Quote Reply
Re: Vision base bars [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be 39 years old in a few days. Do not forget to add Dave Farley to your list of guys jumping in to the 35 - 39 age group in Michigan. While he bikes like a 13 year old girl, he can run like the wind. In Petoskey, he and Deegan were in puke mode the last couple of miles fighting it out, it was fun to see. I would say that I am looking forward to moving to the 40 age group next year, but I do not think it gets any easier. Pete Bolen beat me 3 times last year, winning EJ, Petoskey, and Mackinaw overall.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Team Taint will have a large contingency in the 35-39 - sounds real good for my sophmore year in tri.
Quote Reply