Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Virginia Cycling
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone, looking for some people in the Norfolk, VB area familiar with the cycling in the area. Also open to if someone knows how you can find cycling races in your respective areas. New to cycling races. Are they just that rare or am I not looking in the right place?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Virginia Cycling [TriTriTriSto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know anything about the VB area but when I want to find cycling events, I use the Gran Fondo Calendar. You can look for century rides, gravel events, etc.. Also, BikeReg.com is a good place to look for rides/races
Quote Reply
Re: Virginia Cycling [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool cool. I appreciate it. I’d never even heard of Bikereg, so thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moved from there 10 years ago, but there are several clubs/teams in the area and you can find them on the USA Cycling website. Also check out vacycling.org . They have a best all around rider competition and a calendar of events. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in the area. Agree with the others that finding races online is the best option.

Conte's has some of the faster group rides in the area, if that is your thing.

https://www.contebikes.com/about/southern-virginia-pg344.htm

Personally I think the roads around here aren't super safe. I try to ride on the trainer, or drive up to Williamsburg and hop on the Virginia Capital Trail.

A closer option is the Dismal Swamp Canal Trail, which is 8.3 miles without cars. It's pretty boring though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Virginia Beach has a great cycling scene. Rides of every ability going out most days of the week (Trek, Contes, Freedom bike shops all have weekday and weekend rides). Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of variability to the routes. If you want distance, its best to ride towards Pungo. A lot of wide open roads to ride and, relatively, low traffic. A lot of other triathletes will go out to Suffolk to get miles in. Zero elevation out here, unless you want to do bridge repeats.

Are you closer to VA Beach or in Norfolk? East Coast Cycles in Norfolk also has group rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go out to Pungo and Great Dismal Swamp canal trail mostly for training rides. Typically start at the canal trail parking lot then go down the trail, down ballahack or benefit rd, up back north on johnstown or sometimes even go out further east towards blackwater via land of promise rd. Around town I really only ride the wooded area of shore drive near the park, like others have said it can be a bit unsafe around town and I try to avoid it unless I'm riding with a big group. Check out ridewithgps for routes in Pungo and Chesepeake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been in VB since 2001.

Go to Garmin Connect search for routes near South Battlefield Chesapeake.

There are numerous routes from 20 miles to over 100 miles there riding through Chesapeake and VB Pungo and Blackwater

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Williamsburg, so do most of my riding here. However, I am a member of the Hampton Roads Triathlon/Running/Cycling Group on Facebook and there are often posts about local rides in the VB / Norfolk area.
Quote Reply