Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Vincent Luis -got robbed [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's gotta be some common sense to the application of rules and I think some of yall's ideas are just a bit to out there. No way in hell it would be easy to navigate and officiate drafting in the water.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Vincent Luis -got robbed [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Vincent Luis -got robbed [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everthing could be solved with one extra drafting marshal who sits in a room with a laptop watching the slowtwitch thread
Quote Reply
Re: Vincent Luis -got robbed [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you care to elaborate? I am not sure if you are implying that both drafting in the water and on the bike are like having a moustache or rather something else?
Quote Reply
Re: Vincent Luis -got robbed [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Everthing could be solved with one extra drafting marshal who sits in a room with a laptop watching the slowtwitch thread

I can probably have a few data scientists in my company write up some AI models to just watch ST threads and based on the natural language processing of the banter convert those accurately to time deductions that autmatically plugin to sportstats after the bike leg. LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Vincent Luis -got robbed [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
stevej wrote:
IM races are 12 meters but I believe they unofficially change it to ~15 meters for kona (pros only) as that is the distance between the reflectors in the middle of the road and make it much easier to gauge as a rider and as a ref. I believe it was Rapp who mentioned they did this a couple of years ago but I don’t know if they have done it the last few years.

It’s actually about 13.5 meters in Kona. The road reflectors are 40’ apart which equal 12.192 meters. If you add to that the length of a typical bicycle that yields the approximately 13.5 meters.

You have to include the length of the reflectors themselves. Doesn't add much, but the way that officials measure it is that the back of the rear wheel needs to be in front of a reflector while the leading edge of the front wheel of the following bicycle must be behind a reflector. That makes it closer to 15m than the 13.5m you indicate.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Vincent Luis -got robbed [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
sciguy wrote:
stevej wrote:
IM races are 12 meters but I believe they unofficially change it to ~15 meters for kona (pros only) as that is the distance between the reflectors in the middle of the road and make it much easier to gauge as a rider and as a ref. I believe it was Rapp who mentioned they did this a couple of years ago but I don’t know if they have done it the last few years.

It’s actually about 13.5 meters in Kona. The road reflectors are 40’ apart which equal 12.192 meters. If you add to that the length of a typical bicycle that yields the approximately 13.5 meters.

You have to include the length of the reflectors themselves. Doesn't add much, but the way that officials measure it is that the back of the rear wheel needs to be in front of a reflector while the leading edge of the front wheel of the following bicycle must be behind a reflector. That makes it closer to 15m than the 13.5m you indicate.

Well then there's this interview with Jimmy. Perhaps he's mistaken. https://www.triathlete.com/...s/konas-secret-rule/

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Vincent Luis -got robbed [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you are mixed fixed rules with judgement/ refed rules. We know what a goal is in hockey but the amount of clutching and hooking is a mix from game to game.

Also different umpired have vastly different strike zones.

NO one wants to foul, no one wants to hurt their chances.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Vincent Luis -got robbed [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" Combine that gap with the length of the bike and the distance from front wheel to front wheel—the standard set by the rulebook—is about 13.5 meters."

My memory of the rule as Jimmy would explain it was, "you can't cross a reflector until the back wheel of the guy in front of you crosses the reflector in front." So that means the distance between the reflectors, plus the actual length of the reflectors (which average about 6" each), plus a bit of spacing, which nets out to a *front-to-front* distance of (about) 15m. I've always found the front-to-front nomenclature to be odd, as it doesn't reflect the *gap* between bikes. I.e., a 15m front-to-front spacing results in a 13.5m actually spacing. This was always my objection to a 10m draft "zone" - the spacing *between* bikes is much less than 10m.

I'm quite far removed from all of this now, and trying to remember 13.5m or 15m - especially when what really mattered to me was the spacing between bikes - is probably folly. Maybe Jimmy will chime in. If anyone is mistaken, it is almost certainly me and not Jimmy.

[PS - I emailed Jimmy to ask him if he'd come enlighten us...]

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Dec 19, 20 8:43
Quote Reply
Re: Vincent Luis -got robbed [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep thinking this thread would be about Vincents brand new Shiv getting stolen at the bike shop.... fishing it with a hook and rope through a window in the roof in the night...... zero km ridden!

Heard on Breakfast with Bobs Daytona edition...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivRuXRV4BB8
Quote Reply

Prev Next