Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Very sad news about Steve Larsen [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was a natural born incredible athlete.......enjoy life everyday.

If you aren't sweating you aren't having fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Very sad news about Steve Larsen [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone new to the boards I was shocked to get a message from him just last week in response to a question I had posted. He took the time to talk to me and give advice as if I was a longtime member/friend. I devoured all his posts and articles and could not believe he would have taken the time to do that.

Unbelievable...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thoughts and prayers to his family, friends and all of the people's lives he touched.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve was a guy that did everything with passion. He went through all of the sports with near perfection. He took the fast track to success in everything he set out: Xterra, Retail, IM. What I gathered from him, is that he was able to stay more in balance than the rest of us, as he never missed a beat with his family.

His abilltiy to maintain the work load of family, work and play was unbelievable. He was a true proffesional in being a human.

PT
Quote Reply
Re: Very sad news about Steve Larsen [fsamax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got out of the hospital this morning after having surgery and just heard this awful news!

I'm shocked and speechless and can't even comment I'm so upset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shocking and terrible. He was much too nice of a man to go now. We are all better for having had him in our lives. It's a reminder to give our loved ones an extra hug today.

-----

Blazeman Warrior - so others may live
Live more than your neighbors.... Bark at the moon like the wild dog that you are.... And by all means, whatever you do, get it on film.

Quote Reply
Re: Very sad news about Steve Larsen [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Condolences to his family...sounded like a great guy

Honestly, I don't know why people are suprised. Extreme endurance athletes have been dying far to often in the last couple of years. Salazar is lucky to be alive, I think his heart stopped for like 20 minutes. I used to love going out for 5 hour rides, but could no longer ignore the facts: high volume endurance training is not healthy for the organism. The chronic elevation of cortisol is devastating, among other adverse adaptations taking place in the myocardium.
Quote Reply
Re: Very sad news about Steve Larsen [jrego99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow, just horrible news. RIP Steve..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terrible news - I have some PM's from him discussing tires alternatives from last March. I was impressed that a world class athlete would value some input on his trusted tire choice spanning many years. We must never take our lives for granted.
Quote Reply
Re: Very sad news about Steve Larsen [jrego99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Honestly, I don't know why people are suprised.

I think anytime a 39-year-old father of five dies of a heart attack, it's a surprise. But this was a pretty big shocker for those of us who've become Steve Larsen fans over the years. In a lot of ways, he was the ideal "weekend warrior" we're emulating—balancing family, business and a pursuit of endurance sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very, very sad day, our thoughts and prayers go out to his family
Quote Reply
Re: Very sad news about Steve Larsen [vabchtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone have a link to his website... I think that is the least we can do to help the family out in some small way. We all have essentials or some piece of gear that needs to be purchased now. A small way of helping the family for the future. Terrible, terrible loss for the sport, and absolutely unfathomable for his family.

http://ianmikelsonracing.com/2013/
Quote Reply
Re: Very sad news about Steve Larsen [MikeSprint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terrible news, thoughts are with his family and friends.

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm absolutely shocked. Very sad day indeed. I came from a cycling background first, then to multisport... so he was definitely someone I admired. He gave 110% in everything he did; we should all strive for that.

My deepest sympathy to his family & friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am stunned. Steve was a Sportsman in every positive sense of the word; we just lost one of our best ambassadors to the sports of swim, bike, and run.

As some have already mentioned, and as Dan has written here on ST, the decision to push the boundaries of human performance is not one to be taken lightly. The brain and spirit can punish the body beyond health and fitness. It's hard for a competitive spirit like Steve's (and many pro athletes) to know when to dial it back. And sometimes, even if you have years of knowing your body's signals, there are hidden conditions that get more critical with age and stress.

I'm sad for Carrie and the kids. Steve's death is going to make me think hard (again) about the balance I'm struggling to find between fitness, sport, and fatherhood.

The only solace I can find is in the fact that Steve was doing what he loved when he died. Small comfort but it's not nothing.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Re: Very sad news about Steve Larsen [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wonder what the autopsy will show. He must either have a family history or this was an arrhythmia.

Bend Oregon newspaper this morning quoted the Medical Examiner saying the preliminary autopsy showed no obvious signs of heart disease. His heart is being sent to a lab in the Midwest for further testing. Sounds more like a fatal arrhythmia than blocked arteries.

Such a terrible loss, we are all stunned. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Sharon

Festina Lente
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sad and terrible news. My thoughts to his family.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Truly a sad story and my heart goes out to his family. He was a phenomenal father, athlete and overall a phenomenal person. He will be missed.

ERIK

"Spectacular achievements are always preceded by spectacular preparation."
Quote Reply
Re: Very sad news about Steve Larsen [docpeachey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Wonder what the autopsy will show. He must either have a family history or this was an arrhythmia.

Bend Oregon newspaper this morning quoted the Medical Examiner saying the preliminary autopsy showed no obvious signs of heart disease. His heart is being sent to a lab in the Midwest for further testing. Sounds more like a fatal arrhythmia than blocked arteries.

Such a terrible loss, we are all stunned. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Sharon
Makes sense to me. He was too young to have a Jim Fixx like problem. This is the kind of thing that can happen to anyone of us any day. Life is fragile.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awful news :-(

My prayers and condolences to his wife and children.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Truly sorry to hear of this. He has always been a hero to me. I saw him when he was on top of the MTB seen and was dissapointed to not see him go to the olympics when he was our best bet. He handled it with class and went on to excel at the top in Tri. Just amazing to see an athlete who could adapt to so many diciplines. Says alot and you know he did it because he loved it eh! God bless!
Quote Reply
Re: Very sad news about Steve Larsen [ChrispyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very very sad. A great guy and a tremendous resource to the community.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sad. I remember Steve, in what I think was his first race after returning to the age-group ranks, at Vineman 70.3. His wave went off after mine. On the front part of the bike course there I was tooling along when I hear this crazy whoosh whoosh coming up from behind me. He passed me like I was standing still (which I was on a relative basis). A huge loss to the tri community.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sad news.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply

Prev Next