Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer: This is a n=1 experience having owned ‘previous generation’ (i.e. Steve Hed) as well as ‘new generation’ (i.e. Anne Hed) HED wheels.

I’ve owned / used multiple HED wheels over the past 10 years, including: Jet 9s, Jet 6s, and a Jet Disc. I’ve also known multiple other cyclists that have rode HED wheels. Outside of a TSA-induced crack in the carbon fairing on my Jet Disc and a complaint from one of said cyclists about the lack of availability of an XD driver for the Jet 6s, the wheels have otherwise been bombproof. But HED’s stellar build-quality and QC track record appears to be faltering following their latest product release: the full-CC Vanquish series.

Given my past experience with HED wheels I jumped at the opportunity to order a set of Vanquish 6 wheels for my Strada build (HED build quality? full CC?, disc brakes? Fuck Yea!). I ordered the wheels in late October 2017 and built up the Strada in the spring of this year. It’s worth noting that my order was filled with one of the original Vanquish 6 (“V6”) production runs. Following is my chronological experience with the V6s:

Tubeless Compatibility
I attempted to set the V6s up tubeless with S-Works Turbo 26s. While my tubeless experience is limited to 4 other sets of wheels, the V6s were by far the most difficult wheels I’ve ever attempted to set up tubeless. After hours of frustration trying every tubeless trick in the book, I ended up taking the wheels to my LBS. In fact, I had to take them to 3 different bike shops before the last one was able to set them up! The problem seems to stem from the tire ‘seating’ area being sloped inward towards the center of the rim. Because of this, the tire bead doesn’t seat solidly and just slips back down in to the center channel. The 3rd bike shop was able to get them installed by ‘building up’ the center channel with many extra layers of tape, using zip ties and a high-powered compressor. I had a back-and-forth email with HED about this with no ultimate resolution.

Tubeless Failure
Once the tires were finally set up tubeless, everything seemed OK, the V6s offered a plush ride and excellent crosswind stability. I happily rode the wheels for over a month without issue. However, after one long day the saddle I sat down on the couch to rest with beer in hand when I hear a sudden bursting / air gushing sound. My first thought was “Holy shit. One of the tires just failed and 20 minutes ago I was descending at 50+ MPH!” No, it wasn’t the tire, the Silca tubeless valve was ‘sucked into’ the wheel:

After inspection, I thought this was a nearly-catastrophic tubeless valve failure, however, after dialogue with both HED and Silca, it turns out the issue was that the HED wheels required a special rubber adapter grommet to be inserted into the valve hole prior to insertion of the tubeless valve. Sure, you could call this user error, but the grommets were not included with my wheels and no one I have ever talked to (including multiple bike shops) have ever heard of having to use a special grommet to set wheels up tubeless. Plus, why would HED design a wheel with a oversized & non-standard valve hole to begin with? Anyway, HED sent me the grommets at no cost. On to more concerning problems.

Spoke Detensioning
Back to the bike shop to set the wheels up tubeless again (this time with the special rubber grommets). Finally good to go, right? Nope. Get a call from the shop that the wheels were set up but the mechanic noticed that the spoke tension was really low - to the point that some spokes weren’t even registering on a tensionometer. Figured this was a fluke and I had both wheels re-trued.

Cracked Pawl Spring
Fast forward another month+ of riding. I return from a long ride and notice that there’s a ‘clacking’ sound coming from the rear wheel. I remove the wheel for inspection and after removing the hub body notice that one of the pawl springs is cracked, causing the pawl to flop around and the resulting clacking sound. I replaced the spring, but noticed while spinning the wheel that there was an awful lot more drag than there should have been, so I take the wheel to my LBS.

Spoke Detensioning (again) & Improper Bearing Seating
After inspection, the mechanic said the bearings weren’t pressed in properly (this was likely causing the outsized drag) and replaced the bearings. The wheel was was spinning freely, but the mechanic noticed the spokes weren’t tensioned properly (again), so he re-tensioned the spokes. But this time multiple spokes twist:

Known Issues & Flawed Build
The bike shop calls HED to see if they can send out a couple new spokes and, get this, the HED representative says “Oh yea, we’ve had production issues with the V6s and spoke detensioning is a known problem. You’ll need to send in the wheels so they can be inspected & rebuilt or replaced.” According the the HED rep:
  • HED didn’t anticipate the tires being run at “higher pressures,” as such pressures can cause defection in the rim such that the spokes detension. I was running my tires around 75PSI, so apparently this “high” pressure.
  • Several sets of V6s were built with the wrong length spokes (mine included), which can cause the spokes to bottom out (and potentially twist) when being tensioned.
  • There’s a known problem with the dust seal that can cause incorrect sealing and additional rotational drag.
  • The tubeless setup problems I experienced could be the result of the original production runs, as they have since made “modifications” to the wheels.
Throughout this process, HED customer service was descent. Maybe a 6.5 out of 10? While the tubeless issue was ignored (HED simply stopped responding), I was promptly sent the adapter grommets, and was notified yesterday that I’ll be receiving replacement V6s. But why wasn’t there be a recall on the impacted wheels? And I have out-of-pocket labor costs of $150+ (multiple truings / tubeless setups) and I had to pay $35 to ship the wheels to HED. I’m getting replacement V6s at no cost, so all-in-all, not terrible I guess, with the caveat that the replacement wheels are functional.

How has HED gone from a venerable brand pumping out bombproof wheels to being crippled with QC issues (by the company’s own admission)? Correlation doesn’t imply causation, but it’s hard to ignore the departure of HED’s patriarch and the subsequent ascension of Anne as a likely cause of the breakdown. Heck, if this was a public company, activists would be at the gates demanding a management ousting.

While HED’s customer service still seems OK, failures such as mine are at the cost of consumer confidence and rapidly-compressing margins. Let’s hope Anne can right the ship and rectify HED’s QC issues before irreparable harm is done the the company / brand.

**Update**
Received the replacement V6's from HED. They now include a little warning sticker that shows the necessity for using the rubber grommet for a tubeless install. So far, so good with QC - no problems with spoke detensioning and the hubs are spinning silky smooth. Can't comment on the tubeless setup as I've been running with tubes.
Last edited by: davews09: Feb 19, 19 17:28
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
but it’s hard to ignore the departure of HED’s patriarch and the subsequent ascension of Anne as a likely cause of the breakdown.

No, that's an absurd assumption. Your experience with one wheelset doesn't give you broad insight into HED's internal processes.

It sounds like you may have gotten a lemon wheel from an early production run, and it sounds like HED took care of you. Calm down with the personal attacks.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 5, 18 18:31
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for your issues--but I have a question, did HED issue a recall on these? If so, why weren't you notified about it & what are they doing about it to ensure every buyer knows about it? Just curious (I have Zipp's btw...never had any issues due to production.)
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was told by HED that they didn't think the issues warranted a recall. While I'm unsure, I'd speculate that recalls relate to safety considerations.
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not a personal attack. HED admits that there were multiple QC issues with the first rounds of V6 production. Management changes frequently have a corporate impact, and sometimes for the worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
(I have Zipp's btw...never had any issues due to production.)

FYI Zipp actually had a massive hub recall a few years back. Someone else can chime in, but I believe SRAM covered shipping both ways as well as LBS fees for the removal / reinstall of tires, cassette, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well...my Zipp's are from about 2002'ish. Well before SRAM took over. Solid wheels, price is high, but no worries. Although next time around, I would be considering HED wheels as an option for bang for the buck reasons. Lots of way faster guys using HED, hard to warrant Zipp price if what the real cycling issue is--I need to work on the bike game more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For now it appears you simply got a bad wheel set from early production of a new product. Let's hope it stays at that. That said... a lot of these issues should never have materialized. It's not like HED is new to making hubs or lacing wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
For now it appears you simply got a bad wheel set from early production of a new product. Let's hope it stays at that. That said... a lot of these issues should never have materialized. It's not like HED is new to making hubs or lacing wheels.

Agree completely, except HED is new to making CC rims. Fingers crossed the issues I experienced are limited to those of the first few production runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your V6 man! Any updates? Is the V6 preforms well now or still out of true after a few rides? I was thinking getting a set of V6 as well, but, saw your bad experience on ST. We’re all having empathy for Anne Hed and she is a strong person. Steve Hed was the pioneer in the industry. However, I believe the quality control in 2019 should be 10x better than made in Asia carbon wheels or hubs. The Taiwanese carbon technology, quality control, wheel building and bicycle businesses is one of the best in the world now. Reynolds, Bontrager, Roval, Cannondale, Factor, Giant, Trek, Specialized, Token and etc. are all made in Taiwan or Aisa. the quality has surpassed HED
Last edited by: G5Performance: Feb 20, 19 9:41
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [G5Performance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, you usually don't buy a new car during the first production year of a model. Your best bet is to get one during about the 3rd/4th or final year of a model.

I'd imagine the same for frames, wheels, etc.... Production processes and designs will be honed during that time.

This isn't anything unique to HED V6 wheels.

People have tried to debunk this theory with automobiles, but, you routinely get little updates in areas of the vehicle over the years.

Usually the debunking with cars is related to cost savings initiatives that reduce durability (looking at you Volkswagen and your move from metal to plastic window clips, bastards).

Either way, at least, you at least KNOW or can find information about it.

Imagine how Mavic people felt having the UCI ban the little rim strips with their paired tire/wheel combo. Oops.
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [G5Performance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the wheels. I do think that the title of this thread is misleading though. It should be about your experience with that specific set of wheels – it should not express speculation about an entire company seemingly faltering. Your experience is valuable and good for others to know, but it does not seem reasonable to title it in this way. Just my 2 cents, speaking as a non-affiliated rider who owns HED wheels and has been really happy with them and will buy from them again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
It's not a personal attack. HED admits that there were multiple QC issues with the first rounds of V6 production. Management changes frequently have a corporate impact, and sometimes for the worse.

Your frustration is clear (and quite valid to me), but it is a personal attack. You used Ms. Hed's name. It's also a guilt by association fallacy. Some other companies have struggled with succession issues. Hed had a succession change. Your wheels failed. Therefore this is a succession problem. It may or may not be. Even after acknowledging that this is an n=1 scenario, you wrote a broad-brush subject.

Ultimately Hed replaced your wheels even though they had not been recalled. Maybe not a 10 on customer service, but definitely a win for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correlation is not causation.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you got brand new wheels with a failure that sounds like user error...sounds like great customer service to me.

Here's your thread to post in: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...y%20like%20#p1566945

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hence the "disclaimer" at the very top of the OP.
Edit: And that exact statement in the second to last paragraph
Last edited by: davews09: Feb 19, 19 17:20
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please explain where in the OP I'm "Cry[ing] like a little biatch "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone noted above you executed a personal attack over something erroneous and then you stated that their customer service was only a 6.5 when you got a brand new set when you're the one that committed a user error admittedly.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI - see the OP for an update
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My question still stands - please note I'm not soliciting a response given your definitional challenges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But your thread title is also so ridiculous and misleading in a National Inquire kind of way. And, you strongly imply you that Anne is incapable of assuming a leadership role merely because she is female. And then you are selling either the original or maybe replacement wheels that your trash in this thread in the classified ads. This thread is just overall really poor form.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Feb 19, 19 20:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually not the exact same statement...

"Correlation doesn’t imply causation, but it’s hard to ignore the departure of HED’s patriarch and the subsequent ascension of Anne as a likely cause of the breakdown."

Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
But your thread title is also so ridiculous and misleading in a National Inquire kind of way. And, you strongly imply you that Anne is incapable of assuming a leadership role merely because she is female. And then you are selling either the original or maybe replacement wheels that your trash in this thread in the classified ads. This thread is just overall really poor form.

this is the link generated simply by typing into google "anne hed" and then clicking the "news" tab. interesting reading. esp the various articles in forbes. usa today. the fedex grant. not much publicized, but, she's on the speaking circuit, not by trying, but demand for her as a result of the exposure from forbes. she's one of the founding members of a mentoring program for women who want to get into this industry. that company is stronger than ever. so much for faltering.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
Disclaimer: This is a n=1 experience having owned ‘previous generation’ (i.e. Steve Hed) as well as ‘new generation’ (i.e. Anne Hed) HED wheels.

I’ve owned / used multiple HED wheels over the past 10 years, including: Jet 9s, Jet 6s, and a Jet Disc. I’ve also known multiple other cyclists that have rode HED wheels. Outside of a TSA-induced crack in the carbon fairing on my Jet Disc and a complaint from one of said cyclists about the lack of availability of an XD driver for the Jet 6s, the wheels have otherwise been bombproof. But HED’s stellar build-quality and QC track record appears to be faltering following their latest product release: the full-CC Vanquish series.

Given my past experience with HED wheels I jumped at the opportunity to order a set of Vanquish 6 wheels for my Strada build (HED build quality? full CC?, disc brakes? Fuck Yea!). I ordered the wheels in late October 2017 and built up the Strada in the spring of this year. It’s worth noting that my order was filled with one of the original Vanquish 6 (“V6”) production runs. Following is my chronological experience with the V6s:

Tubeless Compatibility
I attempted to set the V6s up tubeless with S-Works Turbo 26s. While my tubeless experience is limited to 4 other sets of wheels, the V6s were by far the most difficult wheels I’ve ever attempted to set up tubeless. After hours of frustration trying every tubeless trick in the book, I ended up taking the wheels to my LBS. In fact, I had to take them to 3 different bike shops before the last one was able to set them up! The problem seems to stem from the tire ‘seating’ area being sloped inward towards the center of the rim. Because of this, the tire bead doesn’t seat solidly and just slips back down in to the center channel. The 3rd bike shop was able to get them installed by ‘building up’ the center channel with many extra layers of tape, using zip ties and a high-powered compressor. I had a back-and-forth email with HED about this with no ultimate resolution.

Tubeless Failure
Once the tires were finally set up tubeless, everything seemed OK, the V6s offered a plush ride and excellent crosswind stability. I happily rode the wheels for over a month without issue. However, after one long day the saddle I sat down on the couch to rest with beer in hand when I hear a sudden bursting / air gushing sound. My first thought was “Holy shit. One of the tires just failed and 20 minutes ago I was descending at 50+ MPH!” No, it wasn’t the tire, the Silca tubeless valve was ‘sucked into’ the wheel:

After inspection, I thought this was a nearly-catastrophic tubeless valve failure, however, after dialogue with both HED and Silca, it turns out the issue was that the HED wheels required a special rubber adapter grommet to be inserted into the valve hole prior to insertion of the tubeless valve. Sure, you could call this user error, but the grommets were not included with my wheels and no one I have ever talked to (including multiple bike shops) have ever heard of having to use a special grommet to set wheels up tubeless. Plus, why would HED design a wheel with a oversized & non-standard valve hole to begin with? Anyway, HED sent me the grommets at no cost. On to more concerning problems.

Spoke Detensioning
Back to the bike shop to set the wheels up tubeless again (this time with the special rubber grommets). Finally good to go, right? Nope. Get a call from the shop that the wheels were set up but the mechanic noticed that the spoke tension was really low - to the point that some spokes weren’t even registering on a tensionometer. Figured this was a fluke and I had both wheels re-trued.

Cracked Pawl Spring
Fast forward another month+ of riding. I return from a long ride and notice that there’s a ‘clacking’ sound coming from the rear wheel. I remove the wheel for inspection and after removing the hub body notice that one of the pawl springs is cracked, causing the pawl to flop around and the resulting clacking sound. I replaced the spring, but noticed while spinning the wheel that there was an awful lot more drag than there should have been, so I take the wheel to my LBS.

Spoke Detensioning (again) & Improper Bearing Seating
After inspection, the mechanic said the bearings weren’t pressed in properly (this was likely causing the outsized drag) and replaced the bearings. The wheel was was spinning freely, but the mechanic noticed the spokes weren’t tensioned properly (again), so he re-tensioned the spokes. But this time multiple spokes twist:

Known Issues & Flawed Build
The bike shop calls HED to see if they can send out a couple new spokes and, get this, the HED representative says “Oh yea, we’ve had production issues with the V6s and spoke detensioning is a known problem. You’ll need to send in the wheels so they can be inspected & rebuilt or replaced.” According the the HED rep:
  • HED didn’t anticipate the tires being run at “higher pressures,” as such pressures can cause defection in the rim such that the spokes detension. I was running my tires around 75PSI, so apparently this “high” pressure.
  • Several sets of V6s were built with the wrong length spokes (mine included), which can cause the spokes to bottom out (and potentially twist) when being tensioned.
  • There’s a known problem with the dust seal that can cause incorrect sealing and additional rotational drag.
  • The tubeless setup problems I experienced could be the result of the original production runs, as they have since made “modifications” to the wheels.
Throughout this process, HED customer service was descent. Maybe a 6.5 out of 10? While the tubeless issue was ignored (HED simply stopped responding), I was promptly sent the adapter grommets, and was notified yesterday that I’ll be receiving replacement V6s. But why wasn’t there be a recall on the impacted wheels? And I have out-of-pocket labor costs of $150+ (multiple truings / tubeless setups) and I had to pay $35 to ship the wheels to HED. I’m getting replacement V6s at no cost, so all-in-all, not terrible I guess, with the caveat that the replacement wheels are functional.

How has HED gone from a venerable brand pumping out bombproof wheels to being crippled with QC issues (by the company’s own admission)? Correlation doesn’t imply causation, but it’s hard to ignore the departure of HED’s patriarch and the subsequent ascension of Anne as a likely cause of the breakdown. Heck, if this was a public company, activists would be at the gates demanding a management ousting.

While HED’s customer service still seems OK, failures such as mine are at the cost of consumer confidence and rapidly-compressing margins. Let’s hope Anne can right the ship and rectify HED’s QC issues before irreparable harm is done the the company / brand.

**Update**
Received the replacement V6's from HED. They now include a little warning sticker that shows the necessity for using the rubber grommet for a tubeless install. So far, so good with QC - no problems with spoke detensioning and the hubs are spinning silky smooth. Can't comment on the tubeless setup as I've been running with tubes.

Now on sale in the classified!
Quote Reply

Prev Next