Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

VeloNews PowerCranks review
Quote | Reply
COPIED:

Dear readers;
I get a lot of questions about cranks - crank lengths, non-standard cranks, compatibility, etc., so I thought I'd just combine a number of them here. --Lennard

Dear Lennard;
I would like to read your comments or opinions on a product called PowerCranks (see at Powercranks.com). I would like to buy a pair to improve my technique. Thanks for your help. --Helton

Dear Helton;
PowerCranks are cranks with a clutch bearing at the bottom-bracket connection in order to only engage the bottom bracket in the forward direction. You can only keep them turning if you pull up and around the entire stroke, since they spin freely backward. You can find articles about PowerCranks in back issues of VeloNews, namely May 31, 1999 and July 12, 1999, as well as Inside Triathlon in February 2002 and July 1999.

I rode many months and many miles on PowerCranks. I certainly believe that they improve one's technique and strength on the backstroke, since they will not come back up if you don't pull ‘em up. That said, I am not sure that they do not also encourage you to soft-pedal the downstroke to avoid having to pull up as hard and fast. I think that if you are getting PowerCranks that you need two bikes, one with standard cranks and the other with PowerCranks. Do at least some power workouts on the standard cranks to not lose quad power, and, of course, race on the standard cranks, since those heavy, hard-to-pedal PowerCranks are much slower. --Lennard

http://www.velonews.com/...articles/3376.0.html

Quote Reply
Re: VeloNews PowerCranks review [Gary in SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhh gary. :) i remember this article clearly. mr zinn never rode the PC's full time and cosequently never got past the point where he, like you, had to keep from driving his downstroking leg normally. for those of us that made it it thru the adaptation period this issue is a complete non-issue. francois, goat-boy, and a host of others have all followed the advice being given by users and mr day and made a commitmment to ride the things exclusivley for a spell, and as a result comments like mr zinn's do not apply to them. as you know, if you insist on frequently riding regular cranks during the adaptation phase to you not "untrain " the recovering leg - it will fatigue - and you will have to slow down or select a higher gear, or lightpedal the drive leg to compensate. so, for riders not willing to give the product a number of weeks/months of dedicated use (such as yourself) you can take solace in the fact that others who has done so reached similar conclusions as you. there is another way, and those who have pursued that way have reached very different conclusions. havent we been over this before?
Quote Reply
One of the problems with magazine reviewers ... [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is they review a lot of stuff and so they don't have the time to give to the PC's to ride them exclusively for x months to get through the transition. so they ride them, say these are interesting and boy are they hard but they didn't make me fast like they say. they are used to being with a product for a couple of days or a week and being able to compare it with others like it on the market.

I can understand their problem, they have magazine deadlines and have to fill up a certain amount of space and so it is not possible to devote 6 months to one product, when they are always riding new bikes, etc. It is not their fault and I wouldn't expect them to report something they haven't seen for themselves and simply reguritate my "hype" or promises.

It is why I, now, won't let people "review" the cranks unless they promise to ride them right. If they ride them right I am comfortable with what they will find. If they don't I am always stuck with trying to answer stuff like this, which simply sounds like sour grapes on my part.

The only "magazine" reviewer I have been able to extract that kind of promise from is Charles Manantan of PezCyclingnews.com, who is entering his second month on the cranks. (He is another freak, first ride lasting about 2 hours. His initial impression has already been written up!!) We will see what he says, first report is going to be in about a month I understand.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
from 30 seconds to 15 minutes in 4 weeks [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's right. I was that poor on them at first, but, I've kept after it and can now ride 15 minutes on a trainer before stopping for a break...and my rpm's have come up from about 70 to the mid 80's. Riding on the road is much easier, I can ride an hour very easily because the downhills give me an automatic rest break

My running is already getting faster, I'll be doing a half marathon on Saturday, I expect to break 1'40", and I was running a 1'52 pace just a month ago. I haven't been running much at all since I got my PC's, but my few training runs are showing an improvement in speed without an increase in heartrate or perceived effort...we'll see what happens this weekend!

I've also noticed something different when I squat down...my hamstrings are pressing against my gastrocs more than they used to...I can tell my hamstrings are increasing in size. The only thing I've done is replace my normal running and riding workouts with Power Cranks.

I could not care less what any review says or doesn't say. MY running is better, MY average biking speed isn't lower than usual, in fact, I am riding a little faster than usual for this time of year, and MY pedal stroke is vastly improved. All good things for ME. And I've only been on them four weeks....

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply