Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Vegan IM nutrition [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand how vegan nutrition would be different from a normal athlete during an IM, its not like we're cooking a burger at T1 to eat on the bike ?

Energy drinks (750ml/hour or more if its hot), first 90K ill eat 3 to 4 nut based bars, last 90K around 6 gels. During the run, I'll use gels and energy drink.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan IM nutrition [strangename] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll chime in, most gels and bars from cliff/gu are vegan, I'm plant based (90% vegan) but still have the occasional slice of cheese (I'm french so it's hard to pass on some of that...).

For training rides i try to train to eat "real food" since I have a hard time with that so I do bananas, dates bars and gels sometimes, on race day I do Maurten 320 drink mix for the bike - 1 per hour in 500-750ml of water so around 80grams of carbs and 320 Kcal per hour, no fiber no protein a bit of salt so really easy to process, I also usually grab a bottle of whatever drink mix is on course for a bit more electrolytes - They are vegan but not certified (as per their website)
For the run i use Maurten gels 100 - 100 Kcal 25g of carb - 1 every 35-40 minutes add to that coke and water after the first hour to get settled in.
If you have gut issues I find liquid nutrition much easier. I find the easiest to process a lot of calories on race day is to try and eat at least as much if not more during training, getting used to using those calories is really just as trainable as SBR.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan IM nutrition [bbqdbanana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Step 1: Introduce nutrition during training.
Step 2: Apply what works. Discard what does not.
Step 3: Hope like hell race day conditions mimic training conditions.
Step 4: Consult ST with your findings to ensure what works for you actually works.

I might be talking out of line here but I don't remember seeing a lot of "animal based" bars or gels. So with that, was this a long winded way of letting us know you're vegan?
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan IM nutrition [mjbruiser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjbruiser wrote:

I might be talking out of line here but I don't remember seeing a lot of "animal based" bars or gels. So with that, was this a long winded way of letting us know you're vegan?

To be fair some products do have animal products as additional ingredients or used to have them. GU used to have aminos derived from duck feathers in their gels. Base Performance still has a product with duck feathers (confirmed by an email I got back from Matt Miller). GU is pretty good now and they even list their vegan products on their website. The gels no longer have duck feathers (YUCK lol). My coach recommended that I try power bars during the bike portion of an IM when we first started working together. They have whey (a dairy byproduct) and dairy bothers my stomach. So this is a legitimate request.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with the comments about fiber. I would add that a few days before the race you should consider cutting down on vegetables and ramping up on wheat (pasta, bread, etc.)
If you can get one or two poops in the morning before the race you will not need to go through the whole race. avoiding disgusting porto-potty is a big plus...

For the race, you can look at (if you don't like all the processed products) banana bread. It has some fiber, but not as much as dates. Its not pure sugar like the gels and for me it digests much better. May not be enough energy/carbs if you are not very efficient at fat burning
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan IM nutrition [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
FastFor114.4 wrote:
I thought (most) Clif Bars were vegan?

Most Cliff bars if not all are vegan (I think there used to be one with honey or something else). The poster was saying he/she's vegetarian (not vegan). That's all.

But yet again, Honey is vegan.. not religious vegan. I like the word religious, as it's not based on science :)
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan IM nutrition [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
70Trigirl wrote:
FastFor114.4 wrote:

Most Cliff bars if not all are vegan (I think there used to be one with honey or something else). The poster was saying he/she's vegetarian (not vegan). That's all.

But yet again, Honey is vegan.. not religious vegan. I like the word religious, as it's not based on science :)

Vegans don't consider honey as a vegan food since it's made by an animal (same with eggs and milk). Eat honey if it makes you happy. No one wants to take away your honey. Why the obsession with these vegan threads? When something bothers me I try to ask myself why? I get it that you don't like vegans or veganism and that's fine. But I would look into this obsession (for lack of better word) since you keep following this thread closely.

Again religion has nothing to do with being a vegan. But we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After being vegetarian for 23 years I finally made the switch to vegan Jan 1st of this year. I am training for IMLP and had to change almost all of my on course nutrition as I was using Pacific Health Labs products and I discovered they have milk in them. After some trial and error I now use Tailwind, Huma Gels and RBars.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan IM nutrition [mjbruiser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjbruiser wrote:
Step 1: Introduce nutrition during training.
Step 2: Apply what works. Discard what does not.
Step 3: Hope like hell race day conditions mimic training conditions.
Step 4: Consult ST with your findings to ensure what works for you actually works.

Yeah, you're out of line. There are quite a few products out there that aren't vegan. The attitude is not necessary, if you don't like the thread move along.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
synthetic wrote:
70Trigirl wrote:
FastFor114.4 wrote:

Vegans don't consider honey as a vegan food since it's made by an animal (same with eggs and milk). Eat honey if it makes you happy. No one wants to take away your honey. Why the obsession with these vegan threads? When something bothers me I try to ask myself why? I get it that you don't like vegans or veganism and that's fine. But I would look into this obsession (for lack of better word) since you keep following this thread closely.

Again religion has nothing to do with being a vegan. But we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Eggs and milk are created internally using the cells of the animal, so you are eating the animal in that case. Bees just transport nectar. And I am sure there are industrial ways to reduce flower nectar into honey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
look at F2C Nutrition (http://www.f2cnutrition.com). The product taste great and works
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
70Trigirl wrote:
synthetic wrote:
70Trigirl wrote:
FastFor114.4 wrote:

Eggs and milk are created internally using the cells of the animal, so you are eating the animal in that case. Bees just transport nectar. And I am sure there are industrial ways to reduce flower nectar into honey

That all doesn't matter. But you've obviously put some thought into veganism which is a good thing....I think :-)

Veganism is about not exploiting or harming animals and not taking something from them that doesn't belong to us. Bees do not transport nectar for humans to use. They have a symbiotic relationship to nature. Humans do not. (I consider all humans, myself included more of a parasite to the planet but another conversation for the pink room maybe?)

I'm sure the OP is cringing over this. This person just wanted a little advice on some vegan products to use during his first IM. Do you have any good advice for him/her?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And just for the record, I'm not throwing stones at anyone who eats honey. I'm well versed in veganism and the lifestyle. I'm just stating the reasons most vegans do not consume honey. I swim with a guy who has bees and I would never judge him.

And if there is an industrial way to produce honey w/o involving the bees than yes, that would be vegan. Not sure if there's such a thing?

Last edited by: 70Trigirl: Jun 20, 19 12:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.scientificamerican.com/...al-honey/?redirect=1

Better your question, how much honey on the market is 100% from bees? Many Chinese manufacturers dilute it with other sugars. There is a documentary on Netflix about this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/artificial-honey/?redirect=1

Better your question, how much honey on the market is 100% from bees? Many Chinese manufacturers dilute it with other sugars. There is a documentary on Netflix about this

How does the purity of Honey matter to someone who doesn't eat Honey on principle?

All we need to know here is that a sports food that contains any honey isn't interesting to the OP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:

And if there is an industrial way to produce honey w/o involving the bees than yes, that would be vegan. Not sure if there's such a thing?

LOL. This is the problem with the vegan cult. They are NOT willing to eat a natural food supply out of some moral stance, but have no problem doing bodily harm by eating something made in a factory and called vegan.

I eat more veggies than most vegans, but will never go full vegan just because I dont want to be associated with them.
Last edited by: Spartan420: Jun 20, 19 14:49
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan IM nutrition [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
70Trigirl wrote:

LOL. This is the problem with the vegan cult. They are NOT willing to eat a natural food supply out of some moral stance, but have no problem doing bodily harm by eating something made in a factory and called vegan.

I eat more veggies than most vegans, but will never go full vegan just because I dont want to be associated with them.

At this point I don't think we've established that factory honey exists. So I don't think we know what a Vegans stance on it is, let alone if it's harmful.

It almost seems like you've made up a narrative to fit your view of Vegans. Of course if you have specific knowledge on this food stuff and it's toxicity then please share.
Last edited by: OddSlug: Jun 20, 19 15:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you care so much? I like eating meat, but the fact that some people don't want to eat animal products doesn't bother me in the slightest
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
70Trigirl wrote:

Also, vegan food is made by animals - humans. That almond milk, tofu, and rice cake was packaged and sold by somebody that was a living animal!!! Therefore, vegans shouldn't eat it.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan IM nutrition [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Spartan420 wrote:
70Trigirl wrote:

Also, vegan food is made by animals - humans. That almond milk, tofu, and rice cake was packaged and sold by somebody that was a living animal!!! Therefore, vegans shouldn't eat it.

Interesting fact.. big almond tree farms transport beehives out of natural habitat across US in order to pollinate trees (aka to religious vegans = animal slave labor) .. where is there an end to the religious vegans pursuit ?
Last edited by: synthetic: Jun 20, 19 16:31
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan IM nutrition [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Why do you care so much? I like eating meat, but the fact that some people don't want to eat animal products doesn't bother me in the slightest

People mock and fear what they don't understand. Thanks for being cool :-)

In regards to honey, I actually prefer pure maple syrup made down the road less than a kilometer from our house. I always thought honey tasted too sweet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, most vegetables are grown in a garden, and farmers use fertilizer. Fertilizer comes from animals, therefore vegetables are not vegan since they are made by animals :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know they force humans to go out in the freezing cold and stab the maple trees and drain them of their blood to get maple syrup? Just because we can't hear the trees scream doesn't mean they aren't.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan IM nutrition [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
Agree with the comments about fiber. I would add that a few days before the race you should consider cutting down on vegetables and ramping up on wheat (pasta, bread, etc.)
If you can get one or two poops in the morning before the race you will not need to go through the whole race. avoiding disgusting porto-potty is a big plus...

For the race, you can look at (if you don't like all the processed products) banana bread. It has some fiber, but not as much as dates. Its not pure sugar like the gels and for me it digests much better. May not be enough energy/carbs if you are not very efficient at fat burning

If the goal is to real foods with low fiber, try potatoes. You can ziplock several of the small red ones with a dash of salt to snack on. White rice is also good and you can mash it into bars with other stuff. Both are basically pure starch.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan IM nutrition [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
dgutstadt wrote:

If the goal is to real foods with low fiber, try potatoes. You can ziplock several of the small red ones with a dash of salt to snack on. White rice is also good and you can mash it into bars with other stuff. Both are basically pure starch.

Potatoes are resistant starch... Aka can be fiber when raw or cool down.
Quote Reply

Prev Next