Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vector 3 New Battery Problem
Quote | Reply
I've had my Vector 3 about a year now and think I've really reached the end of my patients with them. Every time I have to change batteries it's a battle to get them to work again, or to sync with anything.

I have a ticket open with Garmin, but they're less than useful as each person who gets the ticket assigned to them keeps telling me to try the same steps.

When I put in the new batteries, the left pedal will light up red for ten seconds, the right pedal will continue to blink green every ten seconds. The green blinking is obvious the right side trying to find the left side. The left side, after the red light goes out just seems dead. Swapping the batteries from side-to-side does not change the symptoms, same 10 sec red light on the left side, same 3 green blinks on the right. I've tried 3 sets of new batteries, even tried the old batteries once, always the same symptom.

Has anyone else encountered this problem or have any other ideas I can try?

ETA: I'm pretty sure I have the new battery doors.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Jun 7, 19 9:22
Quote Reply
Re: Vector 3 New Battery Problem [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you are using the 4 battery method... scrap it.

I use the these
Viridian CR1/3N 3V Lithium Battery

https://www.amazon.com/...le?ie=UTF8&psc=1

these have worked for me every time (3 now)

unavailable now.... but I'm sure there are other brands of the same size.
Last edited by: spntrxi: Jun 7, 19 9:13
Quote Reply
Re: Vector 3 New Battery Problem [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip. If I ever get them back to life I'll keep them in mind.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First try cleaning the battery contacts with a q-tip. Then with a clean q-tip, apply some baby oil to the contacts. Don't get oil everywhere and short something out. Also, you can try this tip I found: https://www.youtube.com/...bK1pkCyW_s&t=12s. I have the new battery doors and still get drop outs. Those two things have stopped any battery issues with my Vector 3s.
Quote Reply
Re: Vector 3 New Battery Problem [Rage KG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen that video, but haven't tried it yet. If I can find a piece of cork laying around I'll give it a go.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pop a bottle of wine :)
Quote Reply
Re: Vector 3 New Battery Problem [Rage KG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found an old cork, still no joy. Same symptoms. But I did find, "resetting" the pedals by removing the battery cover and putting it back on will cause the LED to flash red once. But nothing about staying lit for 10 seconds, unless that's Garmin's definition of a flash.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anytime I see a post about vectors its always about this issue. I don't think I will ever risk buying these things.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Vector 3 New Battery Problem [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I see some good deals pop up but I cant help but think that they are not worth the trouble. Sort of like the current gen wahoo kicker.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: Vector 3 New Battery Problem [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I called Garmin, thankfully the tech I talked too read through my ticket and didn't waste any time asking me to go through the normal "have you tired" BS.

Garmin apparently just released a new battery door/insert kit. He's sending me a set (free of course). I just don't see power being my problem, it's acting more like corrupt software really. But he said if the new battery kit doesn't work they'll send me a new left pedal, so it's worth holding out for for now, but I'm eye balling the Assioma Duo!

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a very similar problem with my vectors (bought new in 2015, whatever version it was at the time). never really fixed it. Changing the battery sometimes worked.

Over the years I think garmin has been the most frustrating thing I’ve ever used.

That’s without counting the 2 forerunner that literally died for my first 2 Ironman.

I don’t understand how they manage to be so popular with equipments that keep failing over and over again.

Good luck with your vectors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Assioma have rechargeable batteries, so they are permanently installed in the pedal. No power issues so no dropouts. The latest SRM has a rechargeable battery in it as well - no power issues. I think this is the main reason these two products have such a great reputation. Less to go wrong, no fiddling with batteries and no chance of power drop outs. The Assioma's are also cheaper - so a win win there. If was designing a new power meter a permanent rechargeable battery would be top of my list of wants.

Check this video out for a possible solution to your issues. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F8Pt44iO0Q

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update

Garmin sent me a new set of pedals, they work great right out of the box. My old pedals have been sent back for a post mordem. Unfortunately I'll never hear the results, which I truly suspect is a corrupt software issue.

-Nobody
Quote Reply