Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vasa-only Ironman swim training - my experience as a slow guy
Quote | Reply
I moved last Fall, and am now about 30 minutes away from a lap pool that is the opposite direction of work. So swimming 2-3 times per week would mean 2-3 hours of traveling. Sadly that just would not work for my busy life as a slow 40 year old dad. I love the sport and didn't want to stop. I really do enjoy training and the stress relief I get every morning. So I figured what the heck - I'd get a Vasa and see what happens. I bought the Vasa in October and started training on it exclusively for 2019 IMTX. I do not have a swim background, and really only started about a year before my first Ironman.

I've done 8 IMs (6x IMTX, IMFL and IMSR), and for each one I swam for at least 4 months leading up to the race, roughly 3 times per week for about 45 minutes each session. My 100 pace was around 1 min 45 sec per 100. My prior race swim times for the wetsuit IM swims were all between 1 hr 17 min to 1 hr 18 min. The non-wetsuit swims were all between 1 hr 18 min - 1 hr 20 min. I never swam hard, just got into a nice easy pace, and I would typically exit the swim feeling great.

Yes, I know these were slow race times, and I was not maximizing my potential because I wasn't swimming enough, my fitness could have been higher if I swam more, do more drills, triathletes that don't devote tons of time to swimming are idiots and leave all those fitness gains on the table, etc. etc. etc. I understand all of that.

I decided to use the Vasa the exact same way as my prior swimming - that is to use the Vasa 3 times per week for 45 minutes. I basically just did the exact same workouts as I previously did for yards and sets.

I did not swim in a pool at all before 2019 IMTX (yes I know this is idiotic, unsafe, etc, etc). I felt great during the race and finished in 1 hr 15 min. I will note that I could feel a bit of fatigue in my lower back that I don't usually feel, but it didn't affect my race at all. And the day after the race I noticed my triceps were sore, which normally doesn't happen. I also don't know how this approach would affect a non-wetsuit swim.

All in all I'm pleased with the results. I'll also say the Vasa is bloody hard! It was mentally taxing to stay on that thing, and I'd often think of it as a torture device. Certainly not a walk in the park. Anyway thought I'd share in case anyone is faced with the prospect of not being able to get to a pool as often as they'd like.
Last edited by: RangersBouncy: May 10, 19 10:08
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa-only Ironman swim training - my experience as a slow guy [RangersBouncy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A quick look at IMTX shows that a 1:15 swim was in the top quarter of the mens and top 5th overall. So you have to believe that you are not, in reality, slow (just not fast). And if you did it relatively easily (basically a 2:00 100m) then the Vasa did it's job and saved you time in training which could be used elsewhere. Congrats.

I have to admit I hate going to the pool and have tried bands and gym equipment to replace the need. But that's just because I have been swimming all my life and it's boring and there's only so many lengths you can go before you go quietly mad. On the Vasa you can have music, video, read a book, eat, drink, have a conversation. I'm jealous.

The tired or sore triceps means you need to adjust your "stroke" on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa-only Ironman swim training - my experience as a slow guy [RangersBouncy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. I've thought about going this direction just to simplify life and stop paying $50 a month just to use the pool a couple of times per week and your experience makes me more confident that the transition to Vasa wouldn't hurt my swim times.

"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting, this is very interesting. I have a VASA, but don't use it enough to come to any firm conclusions on its value for me. I will say, I mostly prefer to actually go to the pool, VASA workouts are not fun!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa-only Ironman swim training - my experience as a slow guy [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are they not fun, because like a dread mill your just laying there going up and down? I have a pool close by but it takes a lot of time the back and forth so thought of getting one. Thanks for sharing
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa-only Ironman swim training - my experience as a slow guy [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This would be the only way I could attempt a full distance triathlon. Nearest lap pool is 45 minutes away. I need to keep an eye out for a used one. Good to hear it carried over for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great work, I'm impressed!

As one of the more vocal proponents about the usefulness of the Vasa on these forums, I'll admit that I would be too scared to do an IM race swim on only Vasa workouts 3x/wk and no swimming!

Care to share how you structured (or not) your Vasa workouts and how hard (or easy) you would go on them?

For me, I would definitely agree with you though - if I actually want to improve a little using the Vasa, I have to work bloody hard - grit your teeth and dig deep hard! Although to be fair, I'm working just as hard in the pool when I'm trying to improve there as well, but there is def less fun factor on the Vasa than the pool, although the lack of travel and lane sharing def makes up for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dig this so much!

It's pretty clear you were realistic about your goals and expectations. You recognized some limits put on your training by your life circumstances, a reality that many of us refuse to look at honestly. You opted to take 2-4 (or more) hours per week away from the training (admin stuff like getting to the pool) and gave it back to your life/fam/work. You are cool with being a solid athlete, an accomplished IM finisher, that may not live at the pointy end of the AG but you still enjoy the challenge of getting it done!

Comparable (slightly faster, FWIW, different course n conditions, etc.) swim times seems like a win to me when you consider the time you pulled back into your life.

We have to make the most of what we have to work with. Some years the training is spot on and we can really jack up the pool swimming, the open water swimming, the pain cave intervals on the bike combined with the time in the saddle outside on the hills, the endurance running to be the foundation for the faster miles running. And...some years we can't and we have to be creative and prioritize where we put our energy.

I give kudos to you on this one.

Others may disagree. I'm cool with that.

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa-only Ironman swim training - my experience as a slow guy [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
morpheus wrote:
I dig this so much!

It's pretty clear you were realistic about your goals and expectations. You recognized some limits put on your training by your life circumstances, a reality that many of us refuse to look at honestly. You opted to take 2-4 (or more) hours per week away from the training (admin stuff like getting to the pool) and gave it back to your life/fam/work. You are cool with being a solid athlete, an accomplished IM finisher, that may not live at the pointy end of the AG but you still enjoy the challenge of getting it done!

Comparable (slightly faster, FWIW, different course n conditions, etc.) swim times seems like a win to me when you consider the time you pulled back into your life.

We have to make the most of what we have to work with. Some years the training is spot on and we can really jack up the pool swimming, the open water swimming, the pain cave intervals on the bike combined with the time in the saddle outside on the hills, the endurance running to be the foundation for the faster miles running. And...some years we can't and we have to be creative and prioritize where we put our energy.

I give kudos to you on this one.

Others may disagree. I'm cool with that.

This may be the best reply I’ve read on Slowtwitch. Are you a Mr. Rogers fan by chance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've switched to the 3x Vasa workouts + 1 pool swim per week. While I cannot say that I improved as a swimmer, I did not regress at all and frankly I am saving a shitton of time. Enough time to actually do an extra Zwift session per week. So yeah - Vasa FTW!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing this. It is good to hear about results with Vasa across a wide spectrum of swim abilities. I swam about the same time as you at Texas also.

I have great pool access however when I am sitting at my daughters practice reading and posting on Slowtwitch there are 4 Vasa machines staring me straight in the face never being used. Hmmmm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not exactly the same , Im only a short course guy but I decided to drop the pool after realizing that without hiring a coach I had reached my max potential swimming and that no amount of volume would help. Im strong but have heavily ingrained bad form.
I dont have a vasa but I hit the gym two times a week as part of my training. About 4 weeks before an event Ill hit the pool a few times and do a few intervals equal to the race distance. My first time doing this I was 15 seconds fasted per 100. I believe that the time out of the pool helped me rid myself of bad form. I dont belive this is an optimal way to continue to get faster but it helped some. And the time and $ saved is huge.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa-only Ironman swim training - my experience as a slow guy [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always respected Mr. Roger's...he's one hell of a quarterback.

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa-only Ironman swim training - my experience as a slow guy [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:
Why are they not fun, because like a dread mill your just laying there going up and down?

I actually don't mind running on a treadmill, but the VASA is physically uncomfortable to me . . . it's hard to find the exact point to lay on the bench. It's also just hard to do, I think mostly because you're holding up your own arms . . . the first time you get on a VASA you will hate life after about 3 minutes and wonder if it's even possible to go 30min. As my workouts have gotten longer I've started taking my tablet and putting it on the ground to watch a show while I'm doing it, which has helped with the mind numbness issue, but still it's the least favorite type of workout I do.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the positive comments. I tried to hold back my enthusiasm for the product and results in my original post because it seems many will make you feel guilty for substituting Vasa for swimming. I know it's best to just ignore the negative and do what works best for you.

When I sit back and look at the time I saved, and that my IM swim time was actually a PR for me (although by only around 45 seconds), I could not be happier. I saved, by my count, over 50 hours over the 20 week training plan. Pretty awesome when you think about it. And after a few weeks, the Vasa got easier and I was able to use my iPad to watch Netflix. But you do work very hard on the Vasa, but maybe that's the point :-)

Someone above asked what my Vasa workouts looked like. I bought a TrainingPeaks 20 week IM training plan back in 2014, and I've always just used that swim workout schedule. That plan calls for yards and sets, as opposed to time. It calls for 3 workouts a week, which range from 2000-4000 yards broken up into various sets. When I started using the Vasa, I just followed the exact program using the yards displayed on the Vasa. I kept it at damper level 1 the entire time. This next season, I'll try some of the harder damper levels.

One other small note - when I used the Vasa, I tried to hold my head up a tad without resting it on something and also holding my legs up - basically in the superman position. I tried to do this on odd number sets because it was pretty hard. This I feel helped me not get too fatigued in my back during the swim, and I also noticed my neck got stronger and I didn't feel much neck pain during the bike leg of IMTX.
Last edited by: RangersBouncy: May 11, 19 8:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I sit back and look at the time I saved, and that my IM swim time was actually a PR for me (although by only around 45 seconds), I could not be happier. I saved, by my count, over 50 hours over the 20 week training plan. Pretty awesome when you think about it. And after a few weeks, the Vasa got easier and I was able to use my iPad to watch Netflix. But you do work very hard on the Vasa, but maybe that's the point :-) //

I think if I could only do vasa for swimming, I would be very close to what I would do by swimming too, but I enjoy the water. And I don't usually have all that travel time to the pool, so it is just time spent swimming really. And as for you doing a PR, maybe, maybe not. You would have to go back to all the races as see what the fastest swimmer did, then do a % comparison of your time to that. Your swim time does not exist in a vacuum, and the swim winners can give some context as to what the course was like that day.

But congratulations regardless, my feeling is that doing a mimicking strength training for swimming, will get you the time that your stroke would have gotten you. Probably not going to get faster, as your stroke is your real limiter once sufficient strength is attained...
Quote Reply