Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Valve extenders, watts to spin
Quote | Reply
Had been watching the tdf cyclingtips video with Josh from silca (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns5f1h1YI64)
In it @~4minutes, he says the speedshields are .5watts (@30mph) for each wheel covering 12mm of the valve extenders.

Given this, could you inflate tires (with deeper rims) to pressure with a non-core extender, then remove the extender before riding, and carry it with the flat kit? Taking away >>12mm of valve.
Any reason not to do it for (admittedly small, but non-zero) savings?
Quote Reply
Re: Valve extenders, watts to spin [Nonojohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you puncture, a short valve stem can go into the valve hole and one the next revolution damage the rim.
Quote Reply
Re: Valve extenders, watts to spin [bllx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh, could see a problem with that.
What about for wheels with fairings (HED, FLOs), with the tube's valve sitting within the fairing, past the structural portion?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, the Aerocoach Aeox wheels solve that problem by having a valve cutout for the front wheel, same as a disc - so the valve stem is never in the wind. I ordered a set (disc+75mm), I appreciate simplifying my flat kit down to two short-valve tubes and zero extenders.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Valve extenders, watts to spin [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, cool. Totally missed that detailed when glancing over them.
Supposed I'll take this as them finding it's something worth going through the trouble for.
Quote Reply
Re: Valve extenders, watts to spin [bllx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very true. Yet I've been doing the short valve + Topeak extansion (that can close the valve before being removed) removed + tape for like 6 years and I've never damaged anything... have to say I've never punctured in a triathlon though, so that does mitigate my feedback... but wanted to say it is "doable", just unsure if you have to stop super quick (which would also increase the risk of the valve turning so there is a good point for stopping fast but a downside with the braking force induces on a punctures tire/tube) in case of puncture or not ???
I will keep doing it just because it's always worked and is supposed to be faster... fingers crossed that I keep NOT puncturing (Thanks Continental for making stong tires ;-) ).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nonojohn wrote:
In it @~4minutes, he says the speedshields are .5watts (@30mph) for each wheel covering 12mm of the valve extenders.

Call me a cynic, but has anyone tried to verify this claim?
Quote Reply