Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Usain Bolt
Quote | Reply
Freakin Crazy - Celebrating 15 meters from the finish and setting a new W.R. ---9.69!!

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Last edited by: BIGZACH: Aug 17, 08 11:55
Quote Reply
Re: Usain Bolt **SPOILER [BIGZACH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it still a spoiler when the thread comes after a half a day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phelps gets the headlines... but that was the most amazing performance i've seen in the games.

-
There are as many reasons for running as there are days in the year, years in my life. But mostly I run because I am an animal and a child, an artist and a saint. So, too, are you. Find your own play, your own self-renewing compulsion, and you will become the person you are meant to be. ~George Sheehan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He has amazing speed and makes it looks effortless.

Considering he was squashing the WR, I couldn't help but to be dissapointed and a little miffed at the fact at 80m he slacked up and started flapping his hands and thumping his chest. I really wish he would have held off the celebrating another second, so that the world could have seen how fast he truly can run.

I thought it was a bit dissrespectful to the fans, the sport, and his competitors. I guess I wouldn't have minded if he wasn't in the progress of setting a new WR.

In the post-race interview, he kept repeating he didn't care at all about his time, only that he came in first.

Quote Reply
Re: Usain Bolt **SPOILER [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Olympics track and field (especially the distance events) are never about records, but about medals. Tactics will kill WR times 9 times out of 10. I'm sure Bolt had no idea he was on the record, but he DID know he had the medal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was a bit dissrespectful to the fans, the sport, and his competitors. I guess I wouldn't have minded if he wasn't in the progress of setting a new WR.

I don't care if sets a record or not- he's under no obligations there- but I do find his behavior during the race disrectful to the fans, the sport, and his competitors.

Amazing race performance, poor sportsmanship. He could have come in first without the display.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fast runner -mental midget

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Considering he was squashing the WR, I couldn't help but to be dissapointed and a little miffed at the fact at 80m he slacked up and started flapping his hands and thumping his chest. I really wish he would have held off the celebrating another second, so that the world could have seen how fast he truly can run.

Track and Field races in Europe offer bonu$$$ when someone break a world record... What's the rush he's only 21 and will break the WR many times... If he had run 9.49 like he seem to be able to 2 days ago. Then forget about the $$$ that will have come...(long time) remember pole vault Sergei Bukka that would stop jumping in a meeting once he beat the WR by one cm. It's a lot easier in Pole Vault to control the progress of the WR then a 100m but I'm convince the 100m WR will not come down too fast in order to control ca$h in. (sponsor, media attention and bonus)
Quote Reply
Re: Usain Bolt **SPOILER [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sure sounds like it's in the spirit of the Games. "I'm gonna sand bag it here. I'm winning, and I want to protect my payday later on."

I have more respect for him thinking that he's just a bad sport.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Usain Bolt **SPOILER [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That sure sounds like it's in the spirit of the Games. "I'm gonna sand bag it here. I'm winning, and I want to protect my payday later on."

I have more respect for him thinking that he's just a bad sport.
Wait, have you seen many Track and Field records over the years getting beat at the Games... It's all about the GOLD medal not a WR.
Last edited by: MTL: Aug 17, 08 11:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Track and Field races in Europe offer bonu$$$ when someone break a world record... What's the rush he's only 21 and will break the WR many times...

Sergey Bubka made a fortune by beating the World Record in pole vaulting 35 times, only one centimeter at each comeptiton.
Of course it's you can't control your own time in 100m in the same way, because you don't set the bar before a race. If Bubka was 15 cm above the bar, he would still only improve the record by 1 cm at each competition and then stop trying to jump even higher at than competition. Rather wait to the next event to improve the WR even more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Bubka

Quote:
World record progression by Bubka
Bubka broke the world record for men's pole vaulting a total of 35 times in his career.[2] He broke the outdoor world records 17 times and the indoor world records 18 times. The fact that most of the time he improved his own previous record demonstrates his absolute dominance in the event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's all about the GOLD medal not a WR.

Apparently it's all about getting paid.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's all about the GOLD medal not a WR.

Apparently it's all about getting paid.
Can't argue on that... ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering that's how he makes his living, why shouldn't it be about getting paid? Not saying that's what he did, but it doesn't make it wrong.

He is under no obligation to do anything other than his best effort to win the race. He did exactly that and then he celebrated.. I don't see his behaviour during the race as being disrespectful, I see it as being happy and showing it. I missed the medal presentation, but as long as he wasn't flexing and posing up there like the US 4x100 relay team of a few years ago, that's fine.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Usain Bolt **SPOILER [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed the medal presentation, but as long as he wasn't flexing and posing up there like the US 4x100 relay team of a few years ago, that's fine.

It's OK to do that during the race, but not afterwards?

How strange.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sandbagged it in 9.69? You guys are absolutely hilarious....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is somewhat disrespectful to be flexing and posing while you are standing on the podium and the national anthem is playing, don't you agree? On the track, in the moment, is somewhat different, and I didn't see Bolt do anything which belittled his competitors.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so where were you when Michael Johnson was showboating in the last 20m of his 19.29s 200m race in Atlanta?
Quote Reply
Re: Usain Bolt **SPOILER [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're saying he ran his best race?

Quote Reply
Re: Usain Bolt **SPOILER [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so where were you when Michael Johnson was showboating in the last 20m of his 19.29s 200m race in Atlanta?

Somewhere in the Persian Gulf, I think.

What kind of defense is that? Is there a pertinent point?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you understand the amount of pressure these guys are under? The amount of hype that surrounds this race? Can you imagine how much adrenaline would have been rushing through his blood?

The man just broke his own world record in athletics' marquee event on the world's biggest stage - he's allowed to celebrate and be happy. How exactly was his celebration disrespectful?

The other way to look at his celebration is as a form of psychological warfare. The war for the 100m world record is still very much on. Bolt knows that watching him shatter the world record - without looking like he tried - has to be intimidating to his competitors. This isn't school sports day - it is about national pride, money and big egos. If you don't like that, I suggest not watching the Olympics.
Quote Reply
Re: Usain Bolt **SPOILER [donm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't bother discussing...
As a matter of fact I think he shows a lot more class than what sprinters have shown in the past...
Quote Reply
Re: Usain Bolt [BIGZACH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He posted up for the win because he had it in the bag. What's the big deal? Cyclists and triathletes do it all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus, I never thought I would live to see the day when you and I agree on something. It was somewhat disrespectful, but it was also incredibly stupid. 9.69 will be broken, 9.5x could have stayed for a LONG LONG time. You never know how many races you have in you in the 100m. He may have run faster than he ever will again. His next race could result in a catastrophic injury, I just don't understand why showboating is more important than seizing the opportunity.

In my opinion, stupid dick move.
Quote Reply
Re: Usain Bolt **SPOILER [donm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you understand the amount of pressure these guys are under?

As well as any mortal, I guess. I understand that the vast majority of the other competitors I've seen at the Olympics somehow managed to bear up under pressure at least well enough to show some good sportsmanship.

It's been nice, actually. I watched about three minutes of a pre-season NFL game the other day during a commercial break, and the contrast in how professional American football players comport themselves versus Olympians could not have been more striking.

Bolt acted more like a pro American football player.

But of course, he couldn't help it, he was just caught up in the joy of the moment, and couldn't wait until crossing the finish line to start thumping his chest. And he shut it down 20 meters before the finish line so that he can more easily break his world record later and make more money. And of course, you remember Maurice Green and his idiot teammates. And besides, none of us can run 100 meters in under 10 seconds.

All in the finest spirit of the Games.

Quote Reply

Prev Next