Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Updated WTC Anti-Doping program [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would we suddenly have to watch out for the poppy seed bagels? ;)

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: Updated WTC Anti-Doping program [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course a lot of folks will not get the bagel reference, but the larger point is that what the pros have to endure, and watch out for, is a 1000% more than the average AG'er does. Putting that pressure on AG'ers will require a lot of education, and some inconvience on our parts.. I accept it, hope others will too..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right.

I have no chance to qualify for Kona, so it doesn't matter to me, but if I
did it would add a whole different dimension to my training/nutrition
planning. It's my experience that the level of planning and detail
orientation isn't something most people have.

Last I checked InfiniT hadn't passed all the rigorous certs, and that would
cramp my style, and that's just one example.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: Updated WTC Anti-Doping program [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
will European IM times come down, or will less Europeans compete at Kona?

This is the dumbest post I've read here in a while. Jealous much? Drag your sorry ass on the street and train as hard as many Euros do.

Euros are as filthy as US Americans. I am as much aware of drug use in Europe as anyone is aware of e.g. OTC drugs in the US. Like the latest testo ad in Bicyling and Runner's World?

Quote | Reply
your rights already are protected. Don't race if you don't want to, refuse the test if you do race and get tested.

regarding implementation, I agree with you... just don't confuse it with privacy issues, they are two separate things.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Updated WTC Anti-Doping program [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dude relax, it was a joke.

Having said that, different cultures have different cultural norms.... and sports. In North America, it's football, baseball, and hockey. In Europe, endurance sports are big... eg. T&F world records, TDF, London and Berlin marathon, etc.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Updated WTC Anti-Doping program [Med Tent Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So Joe Doper wants to do Kona in 2010. He has already started his doping regimen aiming to qualify for Kona at IM Lake Placid in July, 2010. He can dope to his heart's content for nearly a year, knowing he will not be tested (he hasn't qualified for Kona/Clearwater and isn't in the OOC pool). He just has to be clean by July of 2010, and if he qualifies he has to be clean for another couple of months and he fulfills his dream of racing Kona. That sounds fair.

Say Joe qualifies, and is in the OOC pool for three months, and races Kona. Is he still in the OOC pool? At that moment, he no longer qualifies for a WTC WC race. Can he restart his doping regimen for IMLP 2011 and get in another 8 months of quality doping? At what point is he out of the OOC pool if not the day after Kona/Clearwater?

You did say to ask them here if we got 'em.
This is a great point.

All the WTC can really hope for is to implement some sort of deterrent among AG'ers. Catch a few of the dumb ones and maybe you convince some slightly smarter people to train and race clean.

As far as defamation issues - fine, keep the results private. And keep the 'caught' dopers on a private lifetime ban list. If they want to 'out' themselves by crying about it then that's their problem. But a private company has the right to refuse sales. They don't have to take your money for an IM slot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doc prescribed just enough for him to have a normal life, what do we do with him and others like him?? What is your answer?

simply put, if I was in that position whereby not taking the testosterone would risk my life well being I would take what my Dr. prescribed. I mean my life is more important than some tri forum calling me a cheat if/when I would get busted. My family, my friends know the truth and I don't fucking care what ST or them inter webs think of me. That is what I would do, you asked.

Your example has the same issue when he races bikes because the UCI rules apply.

I feel for these cases, there are many and each is unique. But, German ironman tests AGers today so what is the difference exactly between that race and this? That its in Germany so our friends with unique cases don't race there? WTC is trying to implement it to their North American races and I commend them for it.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Updated WTC Anti-Doping program [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an AG who plans to take a shot at a Kona slot next year I am all for AG testing. I think OOC testing for AG'ers is too large of an issue to jump straight into for the first year.

I think for the first year they should just concentrate on testing the pro podium and all the Kona Qualifiers for each race at each race. KISS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if his testosterone is naturally low, with the low dose of testosterone wouldn't that just put his testosterone/estrogen ratio in the normal? granted it is not allowed to take testosterone, but would he even fail the test?

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There are so many holes in this announcement that it is not even funny. I guarantee you that they have not thought this out for one minute, and have no idea of the ramifications of what they are trying to do. I applaude that they want to do it, but the folks in charge there have not one clue to the can of worms they have opened up there. They will very soon though, and my guess is that they will have to back peddle severly on this announcement for this year at least...

Let me start the questions, what policy do the AG'er have in regards to there constant whereabouts??Pros have to account for every week of the year, in and out of competition.

What is an elite AG'er?? Those that qualify for Kona, then we are talking about 1500 folds..

What are the banned drugs for AG'er, same as pros??? A ton of them use EPO, testerone, HGH, and many have prescriptions for them. Pros can get TUE's for some drugs, but not the biggies here. WIll AG'ers have a different list??

Do you bust AG'ers for pot?? We bust the pros for it..

THere are so many more questions that I will leave it to you all to fill in the blanks...Guaranteed that Ironman has not answered any of them, because they have not thought to ask them yet...

But they will now....(-;
I simply don't see this as the can of worms you do. The reason is the WTC is a business. I think they are doing this for the integrity of what they oversee. I doubt they will make this so stringent that the average age grouper will have to check the vitamins they take. If I were them I would concentrate on the pros and those age-groupers who have a chance of winning their age group at the world championships. I doubt there will be anything more than some testing at this years championships but in the future I suspect that "qualifying for Kona" also means accepting their testing requirements. Failure to comply will simply mean the invitation is withdrawn and I suspect the athlete will simply be listed as a DNS and not as a doper, unless he or she fails a drug test.

What sets this apart from a "can of worms" perspective, IMHO, is this is a private entity setting the rules for its private competition.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What are the banned drugs for AG'er, same as pros??? A ton of them use EPO, testerone, HGH, and many have prescriptions for them. Pros can get TUE's for some drugs, but not the biggies here. WIll AG'ers have a different list??

while the announcement is very vague, I have a UCI bike license that does say as a master cyclist I can be tested just like a pro. WADA outlines the banned substances and under the UCI rules at any race, at anytime, I can be tested.

This is the case in triathlon, too. Apparently nobody reads the rules of the sport they are competing in.

My german tri-Licence says on the back: I accept all rules of the german triathlon federation including the anti-doping code, including out of competition testing. I am not a pro.

I would be very surprised if this was different in the US.

So, already, if they knock on my door, or come to my business and want to test. I have to obey, if I don´t that is a missed test.

And nobody (rightfully) will care if I read the rules before or not.

As for the anti-doping rules, there are no different rules for pros vs. AGers. And of course, if your medical condition requiers drugs, then you can (and have to!) get a TUE.

That being said, out of competition testing is non-existing in AG-ranks. And probably will be because of financial and logistical issues.

Axel
Quote Reply
Re: Updated WTC Anti-Doping program [Irondicknixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Its nice to see them step up to the plate! Get prize money, get tested. Age groupers. Top 3 in each a/g AND those excepting a slot to Kona or Clearwater get tested! Why top 3? Because they may "win" but not take a slot. Not sure about the expense but an extra 10 bucks for the entry I feel would be reasonable.

An tight out of competition testing program would easily cost around $ 10000 per person per year.

So, if per IM-race you have 50 slots who will cost that much, equals $ 500000. Divided by 2500 people racing the enty fee will go up by $ 200 / person.

This of course is the cost for a pro-like testing program, wich will never happen in AG.
If you refrain from testing every qualified AGer multiple times throughout the year then you can get a program much cheaper and still will get some results if there are tests at all.

The problem is: How do you know in advance who is going to qualify in Juli, so you can test him out of competition in march? Crystal ball anyone?

Axel

P.s.: Just re-read Dans frontpage article. So they select some / a few Agers at every qualifier and test them in the time between qulification and Kona. I think that sounds good. It´s a start.
Not perfect, but that is not needed. Just start somewhere and see what happens. They can adjust the program as they learn how it works in reality.

For now I think it is nice that WTC shows that they are willing to adress anti-doping in AG ranks. That is a step forward.
Last edited by: Axel: Sep 10, 09 22:25
Quote Reply
Re: Updated WTC Anti-Doping program [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Herbert and All,

I worked for an airline for many years and drug testing was routine. I was in the USMC for many years also but drug testing had not been implemented yet but I believe it is now.

We peed in a bottle while she watched (the tester) - actually 2 bottles (I had to pay something like $25 for a split sample but it was recommended) and the second sample was sent to a lab of my choice in the event of a positive.

The tests were random - not at my home but at the workplace or a layover station.

The costs of the program were not exceptional but the list of illegal drugs was of course much smaller than the WADA list, so WADA testing could be much more costly.

Many workplace drug testing programs are in place for use as models for Triathlon.

I think it should be noted though that as many people age they are prescribed various drugs and I suggest the TUE process be fairly simple and straighforward.

Depending on how stringent the program parameters are laced could make the price of approved nutritional supplements become a significant cost for athletes.

Having no idea if any athletes are using non approved durgs - but seeing many people voicing suspicion of drug use on this forum - a well run testing program should eliminate some heartburn for athletes that get their ass kicked and blame cheating.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Updated WTC Anti-Doping program [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
will European IM times come down, or will less Europeans compete at Kona?

have a look, what the Europeans events are doing. IM Frankfurt and IM Germany 70.3 did the role model job with their out of competition drug testing and pre race blood testing. let's have a look, who is racing there...

--
kind regards
Kai Baumgartner
Quote Reply
Re: Updated WTC Anti-Doping program [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First they ban knee high compression socks, and now this?!? Apparently this Jimmy Riccitello fellow is quite the empire builder.

:)

In any case, my bet is that it'll never happen. The AG part, at least. And I agree with Flanagan when questioning whether it's even worth testing AG athletes. Why bother?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Let me start the questions, what policy do the AG'er have in regards to there constant whereabouts??Pros have to account for every week of the year, in and out of competition.[/quote]
In most sports, only the very top elite pros are in the whereabouts system, there's a level below which are still subject to regular testing and require TUE's before they use any drugs etc.

In Reply To:
What are the banned drugs for AG'er, same as pros??? A ton of them use EPO, testerone, HGH, and many have prescriptions for them. Pros can get TUE's for some drugs, but not the biggies here. WIll AG'ers have a different list??[/quote]
It would be the same, I'm sure, the TUE system would likely be the same as other sports, where people outside the system (ie not in the whereabouts or the next rung below) have to request the TUE immediately after the test. Certainly the TUE may not be granted, which is why you should ensure that it's likely to if you care.

In Reply To:
Do you bust AG'ers for pot?? We bust the pros for it..[/quote]
It's banned in competition (but not out of competition) so why would the rules be different?

In the UK, every newbie Cat 4 rider signs up to the anti-doping constraints, you can see more details of how they work the above issues at http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/...peutic-Use-Exemption
Quote Reply
Re: Updated WTC Anti-Doping program [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this, because there are so many orphaned pro athletes. if you're a german or an aussie living full time in the U.S., and you carry a USAT license but you're still a citizen of your the country from which you emigrated, and if you don't race ITU events, nobody is going to adjudicate your TUE, nobody is going to put you on its OOC pool. so, WTC got the right to operate several of the functions that an anti-doping org usually has reserved for it.

Dan,

I to applaud the WTC for moving forward with this. For the Pros, hopefully it will close a loop-hole that is as big and wide as an airplane hanger door. I don't think people realize how big that door and gray area is right now. If you are a Pro triathlete and registered as such with your federeation and you only do Ironman and 70.3 races, there is a good chance that you will have never been tested at all, over the last number of years, even if you have won, placed highely and won money in Ironman and 70.3 races. So if indeed this move by the WTC will close and cover that loophole, then this is a very good thing.

The AG testing is a whole other kettle of fish. Again, the WTC is to be applauded for stepping forward with this - however, this is as you pointed out is very murky water they are wading into. When you are part of a National Fed testing pool in any sport at the elite level, you are handed a book that is about as thick as the Bible, with all the Do's and Don'ts for PED's and what you can and can't take, details of TUE's and the other many exceptions and exemptions, and how you need to interact with the Fed to know your whereabouts. It's pretty complicated and involved as I understand it. I am trying to understand how AG athletes are going to deal with all that and my guess is, not well.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Sep 11, 09 4:59
Quote Reply
Re: Updated WTC Anti-Doping program [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hell no.

i'm happy to be tested any place, any time - but no way in hell am I paying for it. Bury it race entries/whatever - but don't send me a bill.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated WTC Anti-Doping program [tribreck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently this Jimmy Riccitello fellow is quite the empire builder.

It's not Jimmy - he's just the messanger and the cop. It's the WTC Coprporate folks that make these decesions. Jimmy's job is a thankless one as he has to deal with all the crap in the trenches. If you have ever been to a Pre race Pro or AG meeting at a big IM race you'll know what I am talking about - endless questions about this rule or that rule. It can go on forever!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course a lot of folks will not get the bagel reference, but the larger point is that what the pros have to endure, and watch out for, is a 1000% more than the average AG'er does. Putting that pressure on AG'ers will require a lot of education, and some inconvience on our parts..

Mark,

True. Many AG athletes have no idea how restrictive the rules are and what you have to avoid. Contrast that with your typical AG athlete who will gulp down and gobble up any nutritional supplement and pill they see. I am guessing that there are many AG triathletes walking around now who would test positive for something on the list, and they would not even know it!

Quote Reply
Re: Updated WTC Anti-Doping program [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
as you might guess, i have thought a LOT about AG drug testing. and we've batted it around a lot here (many of you have thought about it a lot too). paula newby-fraser called me right back and answered a bunch of questions i posed. i think i can answer quite a few of them now because of her kind gesture, and i published my own OPED about this that'll answer some of your questions, i think.

if you have any more questions, ask here, and i might be able to answer them.

i think the whole thing is GREAT. i really applaud what they're doing. but the OOC testing of AGers, this may prove to be the afghanistan of the operation. this has risk painted all over it, in my view. but what WTC has achieved is more than noteworthy, it's landmark. a panel to adjudicate its own TUEs, that's just so unheard of. no organization in sport has ever gotten through anything like that. and, not just for AGers, but for pros.

this, because there are so many orphaned pro athletes. if you're a german or an aussie living full time in the U.S., and you carry a USAT license but you're still a citizen of your the country from which you emigrated, and if you don't race ITU events, nobody is going to adjudicate your TUE, nobody is going to put you on its OOC pool. so, WTC got the right to operate several of the functions that an anti-doping org usually has reserved for it.

the press release that gets picked up by whatever media organizations get it will not understand how breakthrough this is.

but that AG program. that's going to be fun to watch ;-)

Dan - I am with you. I love it! As a guy who has gone to Kona and Clearwater once and come close for each a bunch of times; TEST ME! Test my competition!

YES! LOVE IT! TEST THE ENTIRE PODIUM of my age group and some other random guys.

I think initial tests will be shocking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love them to have a regime where they test winners of AG and another random 10 racers in the AG ranks. Clearly test for the competitive AG's and especially those competing and nearing pro caliber (ie: I don't think we need to test the 65-70 AG!)

Rhys,

That's the inherent problem with this - where do you draw the line? With the Pro/Elite level, it's clear. AG - much less so.

We know that in a 2,000 person IM race there is only X-percent of the AG field who really care how they place and how they do. With respect, just about all others are going to finish. If you just random test through-out the field, what are you going to do? Out, DQ and ban from the sport, some 56 year old woman who finished in 1485th place? Where do you draw the line?

Quote Reply
Re: Updated WTC Anti-Doping program [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait, are you describing the big 4? Or Francisco Pontano? Oh, you're slamming the AG athlete again. Here's one of my favorite quotes from Molina in his InsideTriathlon article about the big 4-

"Scott (Tinley) had a whole pantry of supplements. His poor wife barely had a place to put the family groceries. If there was a new pill purported to give some benefit, then Scott bought a cart full of the stuff. He was more than a little paranoid that someone might get an edge through taking something he wasn't."

You and Monty need to get off your high horses since Ironman winners are not only NOT being tested, but they don't seem to be sanctioned if they fail a test. Pontano was taking Ephedrine. You know why an athlete takes Ephedrine? Because they're taking steroids and they don't want to gain water weight. Great job.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated WTC Anti-Doping program [rdm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be more than happy to be tested, at any race, regardless of whether I qualify for something, or AG poduim, or not.
I think that's a great first step.

The OOC testing for AG'ers is kinda crazy. This is a freaking hobby.

I have no problem peeing in a cup for USAT whenever they want me to, but - I'm not going to report my whereabouts to them 24/7.
My wife doesn't even know where I am all the time, there's no f'n way USAT is going to.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply

Prev Next