Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Up and coming Triathletes
Quote | Reply
In the times of no competition, lets share some names of who we think may be the next up and coming triathletes in Ironman. As there is quite a break until next competition, you could imagine a few will take big leaps and may be significantly closer to the top than when you gradually see their progress competition by competition.

One interesting name in Sweden that share a lot of his data online is Rasmus Svenningsson - he won his Age Group in Kona a couple of years back (2nd overall I believe) and just became Pro last year where he had some struggles. However, he has now got a coach (same as Lionel - David Tilbury-Davis) and is sharing his progress on Strava. He seems to be taking the next step by following his Strava and Instagram where he has posted new records with an 1 hour FTP test of 407W (don't have his weight unfortunately) and a sub-31 10k and 2.32 Marathon (also did a training sub 2.40 Maraton).
https://www.instagram.com/rasmusstri/?hl=sv
You can also find him on Strava by searching his name where he posts all his workouts incl. comments on the workouts.

Quote Reply
Re: Up and coming Triathletes [mmmtjo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most upcoming triathletes are in ITU, not Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Up and coming Triathletes [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:

Not necessarily, Lucy Charles didn’t come ITU route.
Quote Reply
Re: Up and coming Triathletes [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheTries wrote:
Diabolo wrote:

He said Most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I should have written Up and coming in the Ironman field - if you have any ITU triathletes that you believe will enter Ironman in 2021 season that would be interesting. Especially if they are sharing information on their training that you can follow.

Regarding most are coming from ITU I believe in ITU swimming is a key aspects that is not always as important as in Ironman where biking is much more important than in ITU. Thus, being succesful in ITU (e.g., participating in the Olympics) is not as common if you look at the top field at Kona last year.

Is there anyone of the below who has qualified for the Olympics in Triathlon except for Jan? (even if some have been succesful in ITU competitions)

1Jan FrodenoGER00:47:3104:16:0202:42:4307:51:13-05:27US$ 120,0002Timothy O’DonnellUSA00:47:3804:18:1102:49:4507:59:41-14:44US$ 60,0003Sebastian KienleGER00:52:1704:15:0402:49:5608:02:0402:54US$ 40,0004Ben HoffmanUSA00:51:0104:24:0102:43:0808:02:52-08:39US$ 22,5005Cameron WurfAUS00:52:2504:14:4402:55:0308:06:41-08:38US$ 19,0006Joe SkipperGBR00:52:2804:16:1802:53:3008:07:46-09:42US$ 16,0007Braden CurrieNZL00:47:4104:30:3002:46:2508:08:48-05:06US$ 14,0008Philipp KoutnySUI00:52:2004:15:1402:57:5008:10:29-16:10US$ 12,5009Bart AernoutsBEL00:57:0304:19:4702:51:0808:12:27-02:03US$ 11,00010Chris LeifermanUSA00:52:2904:24:2002:52:1908:13:37-00:16US$ 10,000
Last edited by: mmmtjo: Apr 27, 20 5:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mmmtjo wrote:
Sorry, I should have written Up and coming in the Ironman field - if you have any ITU triathletes that you believe will enter Ironman in 2021 season that would be interesting. Especially if they are sharing information on their training that you can follow.

Regarding most are coming from ITU I believe in ITU swimming is a key aspects that is not always as important as in Ironman where biking is much more important than in ITU. Thus, being succesful in ITU (e.g., participating in the Olympics) is not as common if you look at the top field at Kona last year.

Is there anyone of the below who has qualified for the Olympics in Triathlon except for Jan? (even if some have been succesful in ITU competitions)

1Jan FrodenoGER00:47:3104:16:0202:42:4307:51:13-05:27US$ 120,0002Timothy O’DonnellUSA00:47:3804:18:1102:49:4507:59:41-14:44US$ 60,0003Sebastian KienleGER00:52:1704:15:0402:49:5608:02:0402:54US$ 40,0004Ben HoffmanUSA00:51:0104:24:0102:43:0808:02:52-08:39US$ 22,5005Cameron WurfAUS00:52:2504:14:4402:55:0308:06:41-08:38US$ 19,0006Joe SkipperGBR00:52:2804:16:1802:53:3008:07:46-09:42US$ 16,0007Braden CurrieNZL00:47:4104:30:3002:46:2508:08:48-05:06US$ 14,0008Philipp KoutnySUI00:52:2004:15:1402:57:5008:10:29-16:10US$ 12,5009Bart AernoutsBEL00:57:0304:19:4702:51:0808:12:27-02:03US$ 11,00010Chris LeifermanUSA00:52:2904:24:2002:52:1908:13:37-00:16US$ 10,000

Tim and Sebastian both started in draft-legal/ITU as younger triathletes. Bart Aernouts as a Duathlete. Wurf/Currie are coming from other sports I think (Wurf rowing/cycling; Currie multisport/adventure racing if I recall). Koutny/Leiferman were very good age-group triathletes that moved up to PRO later. Not sure of Joe's sports background before long distance triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Valid point on the men last year. Obviously very different at the 70.3 level, but valid at Kona.

It was actually very similar with the women at Kona this year - only Anne Haug, best as I know.

Anne Haug — 8:40:10
Lucy Charles-Barclay — 8:46:44 (6:35)
Sarah Crowley — 8:48:13 (8:03)
Laura Philipp — 8:51:42 (11:33)
Heather Jackson — 8:54:44 (14:35)
Kaisa Sali — 8:55:33 (15:24)
Corinne Abraham — 8:58:38 (18:29)
Carrie Lester — 8:58:40 (18:31)
Daniela Bleymehl — 9:08:30 (28:21)
Linsey Corbin — 9:09:06 (28:57)

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Up and coming Triathletes [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The number of ITU athletes in the top 10 at Kona is still small, but that is just timing. I would bet within 3 years, at least 7 of the top 10 will have come up through ITU, but not necessarily the Olympics. On the men’s side coming soon will be Brownlee, Gomez, Iden, Blumfeld, all for sure, probably Murray and Mola and how about Kanute? And didn’t O’Donnell race ITU??
Don’t forget Daniela will be back for a few more, True might put it together again, Flora Duffy, and several of the current “older” ITU contenders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
she's not exactly 'up and coming,' but after a quiet spell paula findlay has been putting up some great numbers in training. if this was going to be a normal summer of racing she'd probably be pretty dangerous at the 70.3 distance.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find it funny that your idea of being successful on the ITU circuit is limited to those who qualify for a single race that is only held once every four or five years.
Quote Reply
Re: Up and coming Triathletes [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A fair point but I’d argue that some of your list will probably not come to long course until 2025, given
the Olympics are in Paris 2024 and that will be a big draw. I think Blummenfelt, Iden, Murray, Mola will all stick to ITU for the foreseeable.
Quote Reply
Re: Up and coming Triathletes [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never said being succesful, but I would say that if you are World Class in ITU you are going for the Olympics. There may be a limited number of exceptions where people were either injuried or did not compete in ITU long enough to be eligible for the Olympics.

Regardless, if you have any ITU athletes that you see will move into Ironman in 2021 and be succesful you it is also of interest.
Quote Reply
Re: Up and coming Triathletes [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
SheTries wrote:
Diabolo wrote:

He said Most.

It says bus stop as well but those pesky little rebels keep on driving past!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replying to myself.

Rasmus did a sub-8 solo Ironman yesterday - data available on Strava by searching his name - Rasmus Svenningsson. 4.06 bike split was probably the most impressive, while he bunked a bit on the run, he still managed to go sub-2.50. If he can get his swim in a better position I think he can have a good year once the competitions are starting up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mmmtjo wrote:
Replying to myself.

Rasmus did a sub-8 solo Ironman yesterday - data available on Strava by searching his name - Rasmus Svenningsson. 4.06 bike split was probably the most impressive, while he bunked a bit on the run, he still managed to go sub-2.50. If he can get his swim in a better position I think he can have a good year once the competitions are starting up.
Last year ironman barcelona 51.48 swim, so not that far away from top spots. Dont know what his time yeasterday was in swim but looking other disciplines, it was way slower.

Doing great on his own, no problem with motivation! And I think he can do better in a race with good conditions (better swim, better run) with rivals. Started yeasterday's marathon quite hard (2.40 pace) and ended up with stomach problems in reasonable 2.52 time, not bad!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s his sports background?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the definition of up and coming, how much can you have won?
The Norwegian trio will probably eventually make it into non draft, already crushing 70.3, however 70.3 is possible while being ITU athlete, Ironman is something completely different.
Denmark has for a long time had a lot of really good women (Helle, Vesterby, Maja Stage, Camilla pedersen), but next generation seems to be men (pool of around 5 guys), with already 2x pro IM full distance wins, and a couple of crazy fast 70.3 times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think he was on a relatively high level in cross country skiing up until he was a junior - not close to be top in Sweden but shows he has the engine and now obviously the endurance as well
Quote Reply
Re: Up and coming Triathletes [lordjupu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I think the swim yesterday was a bit too long (measures 4200 m on his Strava), but overall it seems as he is gaining steady on both the run and bike while not making the same progress on the swim
Quote Reply
Re: Up and coming Triathletes [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thought was about Ironman, so more or less anyone not being in Kona.

The Norwegians will definately have a great career when it is time for them to go to Ironman as long as they stay free from injuries. Yes some interesting Danes as well, what I can see most of them have solid swims as a base which obviously helps as that seems to be a key struggle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I´ll let Rasmus chime in soon enough. Thanks for giving him some exposure. Swim actually coming along nicely, course ended up long yesterday.

Cheers.

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Big thanks for your posts, I was very glad and a bit overwhelmed to be considered an up and coming triathlete. I agree with your analysis that I have had a great development during the last 5 months, when I started training full time after graduating from University. It really has been a game changer for me to have been able to focus 100 % on training but probably even more so by having David by my side as a coach. Especially on the bike, I have had an incredible development, and here we have taken help from the INSCYD software to create a metabolic profile and from that David has planned my training. In my opinion, I think I have had a reasonably good capacity on the run for some time but I have definitely been able to take it to the next level during the last six months as well. Running is probably the discipline I enjoy most. As you already have figured out, swimming is by far my weakest discipline at the moment but as David wrote, it is for sure developing in the right direction. Did a control measurement of the swim course (by GPS coordinates) from yesterdays "solo IM" and it turned out to be 4050-4070m, which would give me an avg pace of 1:20/100m, I give myself a "pass" on that one, which will serve well as a motivator for further improvements!

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask!

Best regards,
Rasmus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For americans, Sam Long and Justin Metzler are both young and continue to get faster.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to throw this out there...Johnny Brownlee after this Olympic cycle & then Flora Duffy. Team tactics with Johnny & Alistar--when they're together they are potent.
Quote Reply
Re: Up and coming Triathletes [rasmusstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rasmusstri wrote:
Hi all,

Big thanks for your posts, I was very glad and a bit overwhelmed to be considered an up and coming triathlete. I agree with your analysis that I have had a great development during the last 5 months, when I started training full time after graduating from University. It really has been a game changer for me to have been able to focus 100 % on training but probably even more so by having David by my side as a coach. Especially on the bike, I have had an incredible development, and here we have taken help from the INSCYD software to create a metabolic profile and from that David has planned my training. In my opinion, I think I have had a reasonably good capacity on the run for some time but I have definitely been able to take it to the next level during the last six months as well. Running is probably the discipline I enjoy most. As you already have figured out, swimming is by far my weakest discipline at the moment but as David wrote, it is for sure developing in the right direction. Did a control measurement of the swim course (by GPS coordinates) from yesterdays "solo IM" and it turned out to be 4050-4070m, which would give me an avg pace of 1:20/100m, I give myself a "pass" on that one, which will serve well as a motivator for further improvements!

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask!

Best regards,
Rasmus

Looking this; https://ironmanstatistik.se/triathlete/4924
Some progress has happened every year constantly and now with some more time to train/recover properly, it seems to have paid of more. What/where has it been the most progress during this 6month time/what has changed the most? Seems like there is no "need" to improve a lot in any discipline anymore to be competitive in any race :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next