Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Unsurprisingly - IMWI Cancelled
Quote | Reply
With the health and safety of our community being an utmost priority, and based on the recent mandate from the Public Health Madison and Dane County and further conversations with local authorities in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, the IRONMAN Wisconsin triathlon originally scheduled for September 13 cannot take place in 2020 and will return on September 12, 2021. The 2021 event will be held in conjunction with IRONMAN 70.3 Wisconsin.

In what has been a continually evolving and challenging time globally, we recognize that this may come as a disappointment.

All registered athletes of the 2020 IRONMAN Wisconsin triathlon will have their race registration automatically deferred to the 2021 date, but we have also provided additional race options if you are unable to race on September 12, 2021. All options are listed below.

1. Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN Wisconsin: Sept. 12, 2021

2. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN North American Championship St. George: Sept. 19, 2020

3. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN Texas: Oct. 17, 2020

4. Free deferral to 2021 Certified Piedmontese IRONMAN Tulsa: May 23, 2021

5. Free deferral to 2021 ViewSPORT IRONMAN Lake Placid: July 25, 2021

6. Free deferral to 2021 Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga presented by McKee, A Family Bakery: Sept. 26, 2021

Immediately following this communication, you will receive an email from Active with a link to select your race option. If you would like to compete on September 12, 2021, no action is required at this time. If you choose to not remain in the new race date, you will have until Friday, July 31 at 11:59 p.m. ET to complete your new race selection in the provided Active link.

We also realize that this change may impact your travel arrangements, therefore registered athletes are advised to contact their travel providers immediately to inform them of your situation.

If you have additional questions, please contact wisconsin@ironman.com.

While we are prevented from holding the event in 2020, we look forward to providing you with an exceptional race experience in the future.

The IRONMAN Wisconsin Team

Quote Reply
Re: Unsurprisingly - IMWI Cancelled [wjoiner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting that all these races are still allowing transfers into St. George on September 19th. Makes you wonder if they have reason to believe that race will actually happen.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Unsurprisingly - IMWI Cancelled [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given that some of the IM races have been cancelled last minute and others well in advance it really feels like it must be dependent on what the city local officials tell them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The interesting part is that they're continuing to combine the 70.3 and the full in 2021. I'm really curious how they're planning to pull that off with ~4000 combined athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know people who have already deferred the same race to 2 other cancelled races. How many free deferrals before they start to offer a refund? This could go on to 2022.
Quote Reply
Re: Unsurprisingly - IMWI Cancelled [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Interesting that all these races are still allowing transfers into St. George on September 19th. Makes you wonder if they have reason to believe that race will actually happen.

Not that this is the deciding factor but Utah is by far the most red state with an IM. St.George has a ton of events still scheduled for the fall and from my understanding have had some recently.
Quote Reply
Re: Unsurprisingly - IMWI Cancelled [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

Not that this is the deciding factor but Utah is by far the most red state with an IM. St.George has a ton of events still scheduled for the fall and from my understanding have had some recently.

As a resident of ruby-red Utah, I follow the events in St George closely. I am also entered in IMSG. As of yesterday, the school bus drivers responsible for transporting athletes have refused to work. The only hospital in town, Dixie Regional, has 24 beds and 15 were already full of COVID patients.

While the RD and Ironman may want to see the race go forward, there are several weak links in the chain outside thier control, most notably ensuring health and safety in the event of a bike crash or heat-related event (very highly likely as the temperature could easily still be in the 90's).

Maybe they can get aid station volunteers and maybe they can hire outside drivers willing to do the work, but every essential worker in the healthcare field is already taken, so doctors and nurses won't materialize out of nowhere to help. And while the state is red, it's still home to Mitt Romney, the only Republican to stand up to Trump. The Mormon church is currently led by a retired Cardiologist who still has a prohibition against church services being held because of the inherent danger of COVID spread.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Unsurprisingly - IMWI Cancelled [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Given that some of the IM races have been cancelled last minute and others well in advance it really feels like it must be dependent on what the city local officials tell them.

Wishful thinking on behalf of the race organisers or a way to reduce liability for refunds?
Quote Reply
Re: Unsurprisingly - IMWI Cancelled [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
mickison wrote:

Wishful thinking on behalf of the race organisers or a way to reduce liability for refunds?

In Dane County, no public officials were telling you that you couldn't hold your race. I was in a public health meeting on Monday and pressed them by asking if they would stop permitting all races in 2020. They said no. I had put a plan in front of them to hold a modified version of a November running race (3 hour opens start, reduced field, no aid stations, no warming tents, etc). I was told that plan would not work. I had to have 25 people or less on my entire course per the outdoor gathering guidelines. Not 25 people at the start line or in a small area. Big difference. We announced virtual two days later.

Could IM have put two and two together? Yes. Were they hoping for some big change that would allow them to race? Probably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was planning on racing the 70.3 in Wisconsin this June, but it got moved, and then moved again to coincide with IM Wisconsin September 2021. I took a free deferral to IM Des Moines 70.3 on October 4, 2020. This was a race that I originally couldn't register for because it sold out pretty quickly, so I took the option to transfer. Only time will tell what will happen... Deferral, cancellation, deferral, cancellation, etc. etc. until IM keeps my money?
Last edited by: spencer93w: Jul 18, 20 8:15
Quote Reply
Re: Unsurprisingly - IMWI Cancelled [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
BGildenstern wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

As a resident of ruby-red Utah, I follow the events in St George closely. I am also entered in IMSG. As of yesterday, the school bus drivers responsible for transporting athletes have refused to work. The only hospital in town, Dixie Regional, has 24 beds and 15 were already full of COVID patients.

While the RD and Ironman may want to see the race go forward, there are several weak links in the chain outside thier control, most notably ensuring health and safety in the event of a bike crash or heat-related event (very highly likely as the temperature could easily still be in the 90's).

Maybe they can get aid station volunteers and maybe they can hire outside drivers willing to do the work, but every essential worker in the healthcare field is already taken, so doctors and nurses won't materialize out of nowhere to help. And while the state is red, it's still home to Mitt Romney, the only Republican to stand up to Trump. The Mormon church is currently led by a retired Cardiologist who still has a prohibition against church services being held because of the inherent danger of COVID spread.

This is totally misinformed. The city of St. George actually just met with Ironman and the direction is that as long as the status of Washington County stays yellow or better the race, and a whole bunch of other events (i.e. huge softball tournaments) the race will go on. Gov. Herbert has only identified the city of Salt Lake as Orange. It would take a lot to turn St. George to Orange status. The whole ICU situation is a complete exaggeration, so you are misinformed there. The city is totally on board to go on and the governor will not stop it. If it gets cancelled it will be solely an Ironman decision.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Unsurprisingly - IMWI Cancelled [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea the idea of the full IM + 70.3 occurring at the same time leaves me with a lot of questions. Wondering if the course will be too crowded leading to increased drafting? Will the front of the IM pack catch the back of the 70.3 and cause chaos?

I've done a tri that put on a sprint, Olympic, and 70.3 in the same day. I was in the 70.3 and I think the last 10-15 miles we caught people from the other distances on the bike and it seemed dangerous. People going 22-25 mph weaving through people going 15 mph on a crowded course. Hope the same doesn't happen
Quote Reply
Re: Unsurprisingly - IMWI Cancelled [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m registered for the race and was looking fwd to it (to its original date in May) and hope it can happen with me in it some day. As much as I want to race, I hope Ironman will NOT try to do it in September. Last night was my first pool swim since mid March, I don’t feel awesome about the prospect of racing in the heat in 2 months. It’s not about me, but having participated in 10+ IMs and finished near the top of AG in most of them, I genuinely fear how underprepared most of the field will be should the race go on and they decide to come. Sure, I know a lot of states/counties were living business as usual or close to it for a while now, but I also know a lot have not. I’ve been averaging probably around 13-15hrs/week of training and am fortunate to have Vasa, but what about the rest? IMO, it’s just not fair.
Last edited by: friskyDingo: Jul 18, 20 11:51
Quote Reply
Re: Unsurprisingly - IMWI Cancelled [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
I’m registered for the race and was looking fwd to it (to its original date in May) and hope it can happen with me in it some day. As much as I want to race, I hope Ironman will NOT try to do it in September. Last night was my first pool swim since mid March, I don’t feel awesome about the prospect of racing in the heat in 2 months. It’s not about me, but having participated in 10+ IMs and finished near the top of AG in most of them, I genuinely fear how underprepared most of the field will be should the race go on and they decide to come. Sure, I know a lot of states/counties were living business as usual or close to it for a while now, but I also know a lot have not. I’ve been averaging probably around 13-15hrs/week of training and am fortunate to have Vasa, but what about the rest? IMO, it’s just not fair.

Most people I know who are registered, and I know quite a few, realize they are not in the best shape but are excited to race if it goes forward. I get what you are saying but I think most people don't feel that way at all, at least about IMSG.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Unsurprisingly - IMWI Cancelled [spencer93w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Des Moines in October...Risky weather!

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Unsurprisingly - IMWI Cancelled [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:

I live in Minneapolis so I'm aware - the water will be cold!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My concern is the merging of the 70.3 in Wisconsin with the main event. I’ve already felt that IMWI was crowded and chaotic as it is. The 70.3 was kind of fun and low key when I did it in 2018.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll be happy if I’m wrong.

I guess it’s up to each participant to judge if they’re prepared anyway; I just imagine there may be cases of people getting overly excited about the possibility of racing and biting off more than they can chew.

I updated my wife on how things are going with IM SG and have a feeling she will not be ok with me going, should it happen. So this might get interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
I’ll be happy if I’m wrong.

I guess it’s up to each participant to judge if they’re prepared anyway; I just imagine there may be cases of people getting overly excited about the possibility of racing and biting off more than they can chew.

I updated my wife on how things are going with IM SG and have a feeling she will not be ok with me going, should it happen. So this might get interesting.

Yeah, if it’s going to cause marital distress you might as well get a deferral. The sport is zero fun if it causes problems at home. I also agree that there will be lots of unprepared people and slow times. However, slow or not it would be so nice to finally get back to racing, even with all the weird “return to racing” conditions.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Unsurprisingly - IMWI Cancelled [spencer93w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spencer93w wrote:
boobooaboo wrote:

I live in Minneapolis so I'm aware - the water will be cold!

Right on - I live in SW Minneapolis for a few years. I loved it! I miss it as well.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
BGildenstern wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

This is totally misinformed. The city of St. George actually just met with Ironman and the direction is that as long as the status of Washington County stays yellow or better the race, and a whole bunch of other events (i.e. huge softball tournaments) the race will go on. Gov. Herbert has only identified the city of Salt Lake as Orange. It would take a lot to turn St. George to Orange status. The whole ICU situation is a complete exaggeration, so you are misinformed there. The city is totally on board to go on and the governor will not stop it. If it gets cancelled it will be solely an Ironman decision.

I have enclosed the "misinformed" article from the St George News (local paper) for your review.

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/...-masks/#.XxYacZNKiCg

The newer article is from the softball tournalment you referred to. It states that part of the tournament was cancelled due to a positve COVID-19 test being found after the child had already played four games. Limited social distancing was seen by the reporter and one out of eight teams was wearing masks.

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/...lation/#.XxYb6ZNKiCg

I wrote Ironman today that I am deferring to CDA 2021 as the risk is too high for me. There is no way to keep thousands of athletes and volunteers safe under the current conditions.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For whatever it's worth, I'm not familiar with St. George, Utah, but stopped for gas there on Friday, just off of I-15. My wife, kids, and myself went inside a busy gas station to use the restrooms, and we were the only ones wearing masks. I think some of the other customers were even snickering at us "sheep" for wearing masks. This doesn't bode well for the likelihood of the outbreak remaining at low levels in that area, so I'd guess the IM will be cancelled for this year once the local outbreak inevitably gets worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I wrote Ironman today that I am deferring to CDA 2021 as the risk is too high for me

Could you share the info on deferrals? On the race site I see

"Athletes who register on or before August 19, 2019 are eligible to defer their entry into an eligible 2021 IRONMAN, free of charge. Eligible IRONMAN events are any full distance IRONMAN within the United States or Canada. All deferral requests will be honored until March 18, 2020 regardless of the reason for deferral."

I registered before 8/19/19 and chose to remain in the race when they moved it to September back in March. I guess I don't know what to defer to, but would be nice to know I have an option, at least...
Quote Reply
Re: Unsurprisingly - IMWI Cancelled [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
For whatever it's worth, I'm not familiar with St. George, Utah, but stopped for gas there on Friday, just off of I-15. My wife, kids, and myself went inside a busy gas station to use the restrooms, and we were the only ones wearing masks. I think some of the other customers were even snickering at us "sheep" for wearing masks. This doesn't bode well for the likelihood of the outbreak remaining at low levels in that area, so I'd guess the IM will be cancelled for this year once the local outbreak inevitably gets worse.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. I have co-workers in Florida who still don’t take it seriously and laugh about having to wear a mask in the common areas at the gym.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
Quote:
I wrote Ironman today that I am deferring to CDA 2021 as the risk is too high for me

Could you share the info on deferrals? On the race site I see

"Athletes who register on or before August 19, 2019 are eligible to defer their entry into an eligible 2021 IRONMAN, free of charge. Eligible IRONMAN events are any full distance IRONMAN within the United States or Canada. All deferral requests will be honored until March 18, 2020 regardless of the reason for deferral."

I registered before 8/19/19 and chose to remain in the race when they moved it to September back in March. I guess I don't know what to defer to, but would be nice to know I have an option, at least...

As I asked for confirmation of my email and nothing has been returned so far, it may have been futile. The email was sent to stgeorge@ironman. com. It may be $800 squandered, but my health and the health of those I care about is worth more than the race.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply

Prev Next