Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Understanding different VO2 workouts
Quote | Reply
I've learned a bit and have a better grasp on workouts in the SS through threshold areas. Duration, intensity, what it's doing kind of stuff.

I have a bit of trouble still understanding the VO2 workouts.

So, between the following, what am I doing or should I expect to accomplish each time? It seems lots of places for the HR zone for these just list "max". Not helpful.

-30/30
-60/60
-2 sets of 3x3min w/ 3min rest each rep
-pursuit interval

Random anecdotal information:

I do my workouts by power zone more than HR. I tend to notice that unless I do a KOM level effort OR do the pursuit style intervals that it tends to feel more like a "lactic" workout than a "heart rate" one.

Is there a difference there in those? Can one seem to work more on the power/lactic/ATP and another on the anaerobic/HR?

Best example I can give is that my target for a 3x3min might be 340w, but the HR never reaches what in my Wahoo is called "anaerobic capacity". To get there in that amount of time I'd have to try for a KOM and do nearly 400 for like 2min, then lay prone on the side of the road like a dying animal.

What's the aim for each of those, when is the power zone/duration more important and when is just the pure duration in the HR zone more important?

For info, I can repeat 3x3's at a power around 330's to 340's with a HR to upper 170's. But, the 180s HR for "anaerobic capacity" takes a lot more, and a power that I cannot repeat.

I just want each workout to be as productive as possible.

The 3x3's last night, fwiw, I'd have to pull over or would almost dry heave. So, we're achieving some kind of stimulus. But, with the 3min rest between the HR would recover a lot and didn't seem to taper upwards like it would for a 30/30 workout would taper up over time.

I've also really increased my SS power recently, so that may be playing a part in the HR seen in these intervals.

Gracias.
Quote Reply
Re: Understanding different VO2 workouts [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HR is a poor reference for short duration VO2 intervals like 30/30 and 60/60. Even for longer intervals in the 3-5min range I'd rather use power as the primary target, although your HR should catch up to the effort faster after the first few intervals if you are doing 60/60 style. Your 3X3 workout is a good example of where you might be doing the appropriate effort but your HR never fully reflects the intensity because of the relatively short duration and relative long recovery. What is that 180 HR for anaerobic capacity based on? Again, I'd much prefer using power here - shoot for 120-130% of FTP in general depending on the duration of the work interval. The objective with rest intervals is to get just enough recovery to be able to go again - try a few sets of 5-8 X 60/30, or 5X 3min/1min.
Quote Reply
Re: Understanding different VO2 workouts [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I typically don't worry about heart rate on intervals that are z5+, just power. It takes time for your heart rate to rise which makes it not super useful on shorter intervals.
Quote Reply
Re: Understanding different VO2 workouts [jaelinfunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet. Thanks! Those two responses got it.

I’ve always used power but the HR lag bothered me.

The 180 is a % of max in the Wahoo zones. I get there if doing a one and done 2 minute KOM or something.

I’ll continue to do it by power.

30/30 I don’t even look, I just dig hard. 60/60 is at like 140%, and 3x3min is usually 120% plus or minus depending on freshness.

Thanks for the replies.
Quote Reply